The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Phanerothyme

Phanerothyme Forum Resident

Just terrible. One of the worst songs I have heard this year.

2. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

another one to add to your forthcoming thread of unorthodox "Curve(boy) balls" views ...

3. Doomster

Doomster Forum Resident

This is not amazing by any stretch, but its also far better than I was expecting.

4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

My thoughts exactly. Kind of like a modernized Crue track. Pretty good!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    Efus, Matthew Tate and Doomster like this.
  5. Psychedelic Good Trip

I could understand that thought. Their first two albums killed any possible what could of been recording accomplishments the Crüe ever did after 1983. Those first two albums are masterpieces but I'll tell it really has been a boat anchor on the Crüe for the last forty one years.

:cry:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Looks like you can get one on Discogs for $5-6.

Jimmy Agates and slipkid like this.
  7. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Your thoughts on new Crue tune @Curveboy?

;)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

The title track from the ‘08 album is one of their high points whatever some might say re the rest of the opus.

Matthew Tate and fretter like this.
  10. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Yeah, this frequent change in passions for and against this then that renders most attempts at rankingz fur this kid a largely pointless exercise so I don’t.

Instead, I ease the seat back, reach down between my legs, say a quick prayer to Davidicus St Roth and fire up whatever blind grab I’d just made from the racks and hope inspiration, like the blood, flows…

jeffreybh, carlwm, 100423 and 2 others like this.
  11. AussieMuso

AussieMuso Forum Resident

You're speaking my language Trill - this is epic rock in its highest form. A true classic

Trillmeister, carlwm and Tarot Man like this.
  12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

On my first listen with half my attention its pretty good, nothing groundbreaking musically, and kinda a surprise that they'd go more Generation Swine than Shout At The Devil. It's a good vocal range for Vince.

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow! Love the guitar work. Decent song too. Thanks for posting that, never heard of them. I gotta get that.

Looked them up (they are from Canada?), found this description on them which is right up my alley:

FREEWAYS

The band was formed around the concept of creating a band whose style would honour the likes of Thin Lizzy, UFO, April Wine, Blue Oyster Cult, and Budgie with appreciation for NWoBHM bands like Satan.

I'm picking up their 1st album now (True Bearings) and will wait for this new one to show up on something like Amazon. I don't trust buying stuff on bandcamp like your link above since I do NOT want CDRs (which I have gotten from them described as "CDs" in the past).

I am confused though - True Bearings from what I can tell came out in Feb 2024. And now this new one is coming out just a few months later?? Must be some story behind this or something I am not understanding.

carlwm, Curveboy, fretter and 4 others like this.
  14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

New from Flotsam And Jetsam - I Am the Weapon

15. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

True Bearings came out in 2020.

slipkid likes this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Billy Idol - Best Way Out of Here from Rebel Yell Expanded out today

I'm no expert on Billy so I can't shed any light on this track.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Early 1980's groove and sound, this could of been a hit in 1984 big time. Short edit and sped up, this track could of been top 40 friendly. Imho

Efus, Matthew Tate and fretter like this.
  18. Warrel Dane

Warrel Dane Forum Resident

I used to be a big flots fan. I still think Drift was a great album. They were doing different progressive things then. I think that original CD is harder to find but im sure it’s out there

fretter and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Gus Tomato

Gus Tomato Stop dreamin’ and start drivin’ Stevie!

:laughup:

20. Tarot Man

Tarot Man Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Weekend off to a start with this live 2LP from these legends.

slipkid, PJayBe, Jimmy Agates and 7 others like this.
  21. Joel Zerns

Joel Zerns Forum Resident

I get it , fair enough question.

Music is subjective to ones ears. It's all in what you like and hear. I guess I am in the minority of the "universally praised" crowd.

This is just all an opinion, we all know what those are like. Mine, probably not worth much. I know I poke a lot at this release on here, its out of jest/fun. Not trying to be spiteful. I just don't get all the hoopla.

In all honesty, I just dont hear the "greatness" of this music, and any resemblance of an upper level Judas Priest release. I wont say its bad, but just, meh.... to me. Very stock. I guess if you dropped into Priest at 1990 , it might be your speed with they’re change in formula.

There is nothing on here that could differentiate Priest than any other AI generic sounding metal band of the last 20 yrs. Take Halford out and it could be anyone else. Insert run of the mill metal band name and there you go. Its nothing memorable. When I want to hear JP, I want to know its them and that recognizable sound that they became known for. They're sound over the last few decades is indiscernible from anyone else besides Halford vocals. To me it started with Painkiller, that's where they lost me, changed musically. They brought in Travis to bring in the dbl bass beat down. Not sure if they were trying to reinvent themselves, stay up/relevant with the metal scene and the Metallica's of the world, or try and be more heavy with the speed of the double bass onslaught. I have nothing against it, but that is not the definition of being heavy. Just a small part of it. Its way over used and overrated at times.

The new stuff has very little character to it compared to the sound they forged and became known for from 1978-1984. To me that's the classic sound of the band. Its hard to deny that. I understand maybe wanting to experiment and grow. I get it. But they got away from what made them great. You need that core. Song writing is not the strongest. Well running dry?.

It may appear like I am one of those folks who only accept a certain time frame and era of band . I dont think I am that way, but I guess it might sound like that. I always look forward to new material of any artist. I want that more than anything else for my favorite bands to keep churning it out.

I guess if you like it, great. Enjoy. Personally this is not an incarnation of Priest that appeals to me. There is no way in my mind this new release could fall any where on the level of the material from Stained Class through Defenders. Not even close. Very mediocre, nothing about it says “Priest” to my ears.

Everyone can go scorched earth on me now!:D:D:D:D

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

At 2:47 into Dogs Of War it reminds me of Electric Funeral-Black Sabbath. imho

Matthew Tate and fretter like this.
  23. Joel Zerns

Nice!! Good tune!! I really like they're Devil You Know release.

24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

This.

I feel like in the last few years there are a few (bunch) of long standing bands who have found the right formula for them and have cranked out several very good albums in a row. Accept, Metal Church, Testament...probably others. Are they Great albums though? I feel like they're interchangeable. A large part of that may be that I'm 53 years old and it all starts sounding the same. Even Iron Maiden, a band I once worshipped, has fallen into this trap. Again, they are not bad albums, just lacking anything to make them stand out.

25. Joel Zerns

Agree, well said.

Matthew Tate likes this.