The Smithereens "Live In Concert" CD, 05-27-08

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

Wonderful review of a fantastic band! My copy of this should be landing later this week.

- Dan

http://www.myspace.com/thegilliganspop

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/music/index.ssf/2008/05/a_sound_that_doesnt_get_old.html

A sound that doesn't get old
    by Star-Ledger Staff
    Friday May 23, 2008, 10:00 PM

JERSEY BOYS ROCK: "Live in Concert: Greatest Hits and More" The Smithereens (Koch)

Everyone knows that rock 'n' roll thrives in intimate spaces. Even the Rolling Stones played a theater for Martin Scorsese's concert movie. The Smithereens don't play arenas these days. But the New Jersey band, which enjoyed big hits in the late '80s, is on something of a roll again, and wanting to rekindle youthful spark for a live album, they set up in the tightest, grungiest of their old haunts, New Brunswick's Court Tavern.

Four sweaty, boozy nights of recording yielded an 18-track disc featuring the Smithereens' best-known songs, plus a few that haven't appeared on any of their previous releases. The muscular performances, engineered by local Kurt Reil, have a tight, in-your-face sound. Even if the crowd was mixed low and rough edges cleaned up with the magic of digital editing, "Live in Concert: Greatest Hits and More" captures the spirit of a great night out. It was certainly made to be turned up loud.

The Smithereens' power-pop crunch hasn't aged a day, nor has singer-guitarist Pat DiNizio's British Invasion-influenced, noir-tinged songwriting. The disc features irresistibly hard-rocking versions of "Drown in My Own Tears," "Miles from Nowhere" and "Blood and Roses." There's also a wild-eyed "Top of the Pops," far better than the studio original. DiNizio sounds a bit tired on the hit "Girl Like You," but Jim Babjak's exciting power chords keep goading him on. The extended "House We Used to Live In" includes a wonderfully careening, Who-like jam.

The "more" in the album's title includes an ideal cover of Buddy Holly's dark "Well Alright" and a beery take on the "Batman" theme, familiar as a Smithereens closer. The disc's highlights, though, are gritty renditions of "Any Other Way" and "Since You Went Away," songs from DiNizio's most recent solo disc. Babjak's electric chording and gripping solo heighten the lament in "Since You Went Away," aided by the heft of the Dennis Diken/Severo Jornacion rhythm section. DiNizio sounds inspired by the roar, his voice dusky and dramatic.

A Smithereens renaissance started with last year's "Meet the Smithereens," the group's delightful, song-for-song remake of "Meet the Beatles." They followed quickly with a rock'n'roll Christmas disc. DiNizio's initial vision was for "Live in Concert" to be a half-live, half-studio set, but the studio sessions must have either gone too well or not well enough for that project to bear out.

"Since You Went Away" and the '60s-pop tunefulness of "Any Other Way" prove that DiNizio can still write songs of melody and feeling that feel natural in the Smithereens' hands. The live disc also features an excellent version of "She's Got a Way," from the band's last disc of originals, 1999's unsung "God Save the Smithereens." Here's to hoping the foursome can parlay their momentum into a new studio collection.

On the road off and on, the Smithereens return to the area to perform June 7 at the Appel Farms Arts & Music Festival in Upper Pittsgrove. On July 28, they play an old-school shore gig, at Jenk's Club in Point Pleasant.

Download this: "Since You Went Away"

-- Bradley Bambarger

3. cartoonist

cartoonist Forum Resident

What he said. :agree: Ditto. Live albums (and live bands) don't get any better than this!

4. reechie

http://www.buffalonews.com/entertainment/music/story/354915.html

Buffalo News: "Live In Concert!" review; The Smithereens, “Live in Concert!” (Koch)

The Smithereens are the greatest American power-pop outfit this side of Cheap Trick and Big Star.

This new disc is a live recording.

It has every “hit” the band has accrued to date on it.

It has many tunes that weren’t even close to hits, too.

It’s a great recording, a fact that becomes increasingly important the louder you play the record.

Any questions? **** ( J.M.)

5. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I've never seen so many "thank you's" on an album before. I think I spent more time reading them than I did gestating in my mother's womb.

I think that I would have preferred a set of liner notes by Richie Firestone. :D

6. reechie

One of these days... :D

Actually, what they did was send a notebook around The Court Tavern each night they played there, and had everyone in the audience put their name in it. Then, they put all the names in the liners. Look closely, you'll see "Reechie" and "Frodis" in there somewhere.

7. Hawkman

Perhaps if they had put the names on a DVD like they did with the Mars Rovers? :D

8. Frodis

Frodis New Member

The Reens rock!

As for the CD, take it out for a spin in the car with the top down. It kicks *** too! :righton:

9. reechie

Didn't Todd Rundgren put a bunch of fan's names in one of his albums years ago? I think you had to send him a postcard, or something.

10. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

I'll buy the CD (I've enjoyed the past 2 much more than I thought I would - Beatles and Christmas), but would much rather have them come to Louisville for one of these shows that a couple of you get to see on a regular basis. Great band, never had the pleasure to see them live...

(note: they did play Louisville a couple of years ago at our Beatles' fest while promoting their "Meet The Smithereens" cd, but I'd rather see them in a club bashing out their own hits)

11. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah.Wasn't they on a POSTER that came with one of his albums?--I'm thinking either "Todd" or "A Wizard,A True Star"...Something similar was done with the Canadian second pressing of the Rollers' Richochet LP.The original was released with a plain,brown paper-bag cover,with no credits,since the Rollers weren't "cool",their label did this to see if it would get airplay if not credited to the (Bay City) Rollers.There was some kind of contest to guess who it was.You had to send in a postcard with your guess & those who guessed correctly got their name printed on the inner sleeve of the second pressing.I now return you to your regularly scheduled Smithereens thread!:D

12. reechie

Some club owner in Louisville needs to call Paradise Artists, and book them. It's not like they're staying away intentionally.

13. reechie

14. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

I still have the postcard from A Wizard A True Star - poster came with the next album. I should've sent it in!

And I should've made it to the Court Tavern too!
    Waiting on the new cd to arrive here.

15. Frodis

Frodis New Member

Has anyone found this in the stores yet or are we all still ordering it online?

16. reechie

It looked like Hawkman found one in New Jersey.

ROAD TRIP! :D

17. Hawkman

Uh....mine has the little hole punch in the bar code as I assume yours does. :D

Mine did NOT come from a band member though. :wave:

18. reechie

I actually need a couple of 'em, and I want to see what stores are carrying it anyway. Last I looked, it wasn't on iTunes yet, for whatever reason. The authorities have been alerted to that. Amazon has the digital downloads up.

19. kenrothman

kenrothman Senior Member

We did this back in August 2006. Awe-some.

I got to play "Behind Blue Eyes" with Pat in my own living room.

-K
    [​IMG]

20. cartoonist

cartoonist Forum Resident

It's available on iTunes now.

21. Hawkman

I'll check my local B&N. They usually carry a copy or two.

22. reechie

Excellent!

23. Hawkman

Hey!? What kind of collusion is this???

:angel:

24. Hawkman

Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ has it. You can order from their web site.

25. Hawkman

I saw a couple of guys on Amazon reviewing the cd that looked strangely familiar. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.