The Smithereens "Live In Concert" CD, 05-27-08

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

If you are talking value for money...absolutely! The new live album is best. Hands down. Twice the length. More songs. More hits.

I'm just saying that the energy on the Extended Versions live cd is more resolute...in my opinion. It's not that they have no energy on the new one. They just seem more amped up on the Extended Versions. It's like listening to The Beatles at The Hollywood Bowl and listening to The Beatles on the Apple Rooftop with the new album being the latter. Different crowd. Different venue. Different atmosphere. BOTH damn good kick *** rock and roll!

By the way...glad to see that you got a mention for cover concept. They should avail themselves of your talent more directly. :whistle:

2. Hawkman

It's going to be an album of Beatles b-sides.

3. louisville

louisville Peel Slowly and See

Really? I can't see how Love Me Do fits into that, but I'll buy.

Edit: Sorry to detract from the live album, please don't let my posts about the Beatle project derail the thread - back to the live album!

4. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

The Smithereens are an old favorite and talk of this live album has me chomping at the bit. Sounds like a stunner. Will be picking this up asap.

If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have known that Extended Versions is actually a live recording(!). The title makes it sound like one of those horrific remix albums.

Kinda wish I hadn't read about this incredible-sounding unreleased live set circa Date......this will drive me freaking insane.:cussing:

Lastly, from a quick glance on Amazon it appears that the only cd remaster is a UK release of Green Thoughts. Is this really the case? Anyone heard it?

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

The UK Green Thoughts is nothing to write home about, and the inaccurate liner notes are laughable.

Green Thoughts was reissued last year in the USA on the American Beat label. They don't seem to have done anything to the original mastering apart from adding about 3db to it.

Beauty And Sadness and Especially For You were remastered in the early 90's, The former had the instrumental mix of the title track re-added, and EFY added "Mr. Eliminator". New liner notes were written by Dennis Diken. None of the other Capitol albums have been remastered.

There's a budget reissue of RCA's A Date With The Smithereens that uses the same master as the original CD, with nothing added.

Koch remastered and reissued God Save The Smithereens with several bonus tracks as a 2 CD set paired up with Pat DiNizio's Songs And Sounds solo album.

6. Hawkman

MOST of the albums in the 'Extended Versions' series ARE live albums. The Smithereens 'Extended Versions' can be had for $7 new from Amazon or grab one from one of the Amazon Sellers for under $4. It's well worth it and it DOES sound incredible. Where else are you going to get a live version of Love Is Gone?? :D

I prefer the Extended Versions live stuff but you NEED the new album too. This way BOTH versions of the band are represented. Severo Jornacion does yeoman's service on the bass and he had some big shoes to fill in filling the gap left by Mike Mesaros. That he has done admirably.

7. avnut

avnut Forum Resident

I was really pleasantly surprised by the Smitheens versions of the two Pat songs - the solo album kind of came and went in my musical listening rotation - now I'm thinking I need to give it another spin.

As someone else mentioned, I think that Extended Versions is a nice compliment to the new live album. The Date tour was a great tour, and it's nice to have Extended Versions to document a piece of it.

On the new live album, I really enjoyed the stretch from Spellbound to Any Other Way more than I thought I would. The version of Spellbound is GREAT....as is the Buddy Holly cover of Well Alright, which has quickly been elevated on my list of favorite 'Reens covers.

All in all, great stuff!

Someone mentioned the "mega-box" and the wealth of live recordings on that set. I think that's one reason that I like the new live album - it gives me an extremely tight one disc summary of the very best of the 'Reens. It's the kind of compilation that I always wanted to make from "mega-box" tracks, but never had the time to do....all in one tight action packed disc. And as reechie said, it's cool to have familiar moments like the Batman theme/Time and Time Again reprise, caught on disc!

One more note on Extended Versions - must have, just to have a live version of Groovy Tuesday on disc!!

8. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

I got to see The Smithereens Saturday night at an upscale dinner theater club. (The menus have a mahogany cover made by Taylor Guitars.) It was their second show that night, but you wouldn't have known it from the high energy. One thing that I loved is that they sounded perfect without relying on any sampling. Pat's banter was great, Jersey sarcastic with a deep appreciation for the band and the fans. He introduced "Cut Flowers" as "a song Jimmy wrote", not "a song "Jimmy and I wrote." After the show they signed items and chatted with fans.

See them if you can.

9. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

I love the "reens. But Pat seems to be struggling on the vocals on many of the songs, and I didn't notice that the last time I saw them (a year ago). I'll listen some more, but I really can't recommend this at the moment. If you want to try before you buy, go to emusic, sign up for a free trial, and download the mp3's for free.

10. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Pretty good live album. I think I prefer the early (OOP?) EP for live Smithereens, but this new record's not a phone-in by any means.

12. serge

serge Forum Resident

well i don't recall when i saw them live january this year pat having any problems on vocals..they put on a great show and they packed the house.. they'll be playing there again early 2009 and i'll be there unless ac dc is playing somewhere

but who knows..maybe quitting smoking is to blame.

13. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

Pat quit smoking????

14. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

As expected, these guys were smokin' hot on stage last night! Between sets (they played two) the entire band (Severo was MIA last night, replaced by his occasional sub who was nicknamed the Toledo Tornado) was accessible to the crowd via the merch. table. Spoke for a few minutes with Pat, who acknowledged my Cheap Trick T-shirt. He's rightfully proud of all the material (Smithereens & solo) he's gotten out to the masses in the last two years; I believe he said seven (7) cds since the beginning of 2006.

Upcoming: he said the dvd companion (a five camera shoot) to the live in concert disc would be out in time for Christmas of '08, and a (much anticipated !) new disc of Smithereens studio material in 2009. As a live act, I can't recommend these guys enough.

15. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Derrick Anderson.

16. dangiedr

dangiedr Senior Member

One other tidbit Pat shared with me on 8/2, is that he's also working on a solo Buddy Holly tribute disc for 2009 as well. He sure is keeping busy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.