The YES Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Ere

Ere Senior Member

album title here

Would it be possible for posters to put the album title in the subject line of their post? that way the current album under discussion can be ascertained at a glance...
    :wave:

2. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

Album Titles

Yes. That's a great idea. Of course with my memory the way it is... :shake:

3. saundr00

TIme And A Word

I'll post my deadwax info for my copies of Time and a Word tonight. In the mean time if anyone wants to discuss it, please go ahead.

I hope to have a sample or two up tonight also.

4. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

I remember buying "super savers" in the late 70's to answer your other question. Maybe the "super saver" designation coincided with the change in catalog numbers?, many of the super savers are also Piros masterings, I have a "fish out of water" Piros super saver. The Atlantic records story documentary says Ahmet sold it to WB in 1967, I always wondered why they waited so long to change the labels to have the WB logo, I used to think it was sold to WB in 1977 until I saw the documentary.

5. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

I found a UK copy of the Time And A Word LP at the KUSF Rock 'n' Swap last weekend. I used to own a US pressing many, many years ago, but sold it in a purge in the late-80's.

Deadwax reads:

Side One: K 40085 A3

Side Two: K40085 B3

The label is a pale green/white/red Atlantic Records label.

later, chris

6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

An interesting note about Time and a Word. The *original* UK LP has a mistake in the song order on side two. It was quickly corrected. So true originals are pretty rare.

7. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Was that a print error or does it play in the wrong order?

8. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

No, there is no correlation between them at all.

The five Yes titles that were renumbered in 1977 were all price increases. By 1977 all the labels had gone to $7.98 list for most of their new releases from top artists. WEA labels then went through their best catalog titles, and cherry picked ones to increase in list price from $6.98 to $7.98, to run in line with their new releases. The debut album (SD 8243) did not get renumbered, and stayed a $6.98 list because it wasn't selling as well as the others.

WEA's "Super Saver Series" didn't start until later. It was nothing but their $5.98 list LPs and tapes with a sticker on the cover. Later the list went up, and CDs were included, but it is nothing but their lower price tier. So, if you bought a brand new copy of Fragile (SD-7211) in 1976 the list price was $6.98. If you bought a brand new copy of Fragile (SD-19132) in 1977 the list was $7.98. If you bought a brand new copy of it a few years later, the list price was $5.98. Dropping older catalog titles to lower list prices gave the labels an additional option to simply deleting these titles.

9. saundr00

10. saundr00

Time And A Word

Here are my Time And A Words:

Time And A Word
    UK Red/Plum
    Side One 2400006 A*<triangle> 1 11 9
    Side Two 2400006 B <triangle> 2 11 8

Not sure how early this is. 1972 or less. Side 2 has correct running order.

Time And A Word
    UK Red/Green
    Side One K 40085 A3 C
    Side Two K 40085 B3 KIPA

This one's a Kinney Pressing. May favorite by far.

Time And A Word
    UK Red/Green
    Side One K 40085 A3 C
    Side Two K 40085 B3 KIPA

This one's a WEA pressing and has a WB on the label.

Time And A Word
    White Label Promo
    1841 Broadway
    Side One:
    ST-A-701991-MO
    ST-A-701991-AA-MO ? AT <triangle-with-line-through-it> 15251 aB W
    Side Two:
    ST-A-701992-MO
    ST-A-701992-AA MO <triangle-with-line-through-it> ? AT^<triangle-with-line-through-it> 15251-X aB W

Very busy deadwax on that one! I wonder if aB are the initials of a mastering engineer at Atlantic. The aB is in script, not stamped.

Time And A Word

US Red/Green
    1841 Broadway
    Side One:
    ST-A-701991 PR
    ST-A-701991-D AT aB PR W
    Side Two:
    ST-A-701992 PR
    ST-A-701992-A <triangle-with-line-through-it> AT RP-aB W

Another early aB.

Time And A Word
    US Red/Green
    75 Rockefeller (no WB)
    Side One:
    ST-A-701991 PR
    ST-A-701991-D AT aB PR W
    Side Two:
    ST-A-701992 PR
    ST-A-701992-A <triangle-with-line-through-it> AT aB PR W

Another aB. This one would be 1973 - 1975.

Time And A Word
    US Red/Green
    75 Rockefeller (WB)
    Side One:
    ST-A-701991 PR
    ST-A-701991-F AT/GP H (PR)
    Side Two:
    ST-A-701992 PR
    ST-A-701992-C AT/GP H (PR)

My only GP copy. 1975 or later.

11. saundr00

12. Scott Wheeler

It plays in the wrong order.

13. Scott Wheeler

Just did a quick shoot out between several versions of "Yes."
    The contenders:
    Later U.K. K40034 matrix ending in A2 B2.
    U.S. SD 8243 Piros fouth generation plates no less.

The pretenders
    Original U.K. 588 190 matrix ending in A1 B1
    Japanese pressing P-8287
    U.S. WLP
    German WEA Das Rock Archive mastered by "Strawberry."

I'll gieve more details of the matrix numbers when I bring back my magnifiers from work. I'll do a careful head to head betweent he Piros and the later U.K.

The pretenders all suffered from extreme murkiness in one or more parts of the frequency spectrum. The original U.K. and the U.S. WLP both had pretty gross distortion in the vocals and louder passages. Sounded like some sort of overloading somewhere in the chain. The German pressing suffered from an obvious smiley face EQ and a muddy midrange. the Japanese pressing just fell apart from the upper midrange on up. recessed and muffled.

14. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

After wanting a copy of the first album on vinyl, it looks like I'll have it now thanks to this thread. I bought an unknown US pressing and a German pressing online cheap, so I'll check them out when they arrive any day now. Though I won't have any other US pressings to compare the one I'll have to, I am curious to see how the German pressing compares to that.

15. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Thank you for the samples.

You can really tell the higher generation source used on the “75Rockefeller-aB” mastering. Dull and lifeless.

Both the “75Rockefeller-GP” and the “UK-Red-Plum” sounds kind of tweaked to me. Tape hiss is very apparent on both, even more so on the GP mastering, this leads me to believe the upper regions have been jacked up quite a bit. Sibilants are very apparent.

The “UK-Red-Green” sounds just about perfect to me. Lean and warm and with natural timbres. My favorite of the lot.

This is roughly how the GP mastering is Eqed compared to the “UK-Red-Green”. Quite shocking.

Attached Files:

16. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

I'll post what I have when I get back to my other house (Late tomorrow) Although I just have the AP Fragile, Tales of Topographic oceans, Relayer porky, CTTE german pressing, and a UK red green S/T I think.... I bought "The Yes Album" on cd because it was $4.99 and BD mastered :love:

17. Scott Wheeler

Wouldn't it be more likely that what we are actually seeing here is rolled highs on the UK? I think that was a pretty common thing to do back then.

18. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

I don’t think that’s the case. Try listening to the GP samples and you will hear what I mean. Also if you look at the files in Spectral view you can clearly see how uneven and escalated the tape hiss is compared to a less tweaked mastering. See picture. UK first then the GP mastering.

The more US vinyl I listen to, especially by UK/European artist, the more I understand the “rolled heights” arguments. Some of them are jacked up beyond belief and compared to this just about everything seems dull and rolled off. But IMO they just don’t sound natural.

Attached Files:

19. Scott Wheeler

I'm not set up to listen critically to clips off the computer. I'm not sure how I can clearly see how uneven and escalated the tape hiss is. I'm not saying you are wrong i'm just saying I don't know what in the image constitutes "uneven and escalated" tape hiss. As for natural sound..... well I don't find much of that on any version of "Yes." With that said I don't find the murkiness on the original UK version to be anything I would associate with natural sound. My GP and my later UK are the two most similar sounding versions of "Yes" that I have. Maybe we are listening to different GP masterings. He did master other Yes titles more than once with significant differences between each mastering.

20. mikeymad

mikeymad Forum Resident

Like this thread... many thanks for the samples. Need to go home and start checking my numbers to see if I have the ones that I like....

Cheers,

21. saundr00

I think you are talking about s/t and he is talking about Time And A Word. :yikes:

EDIT: One other thing. I'm pretty sure the tape hiss is the two horizontal bars going across the screen shot on the right hand side.

22. saundr00

Time And A Word

No problem. I may put up some more from Time And A Word tonight. Probably just the UK Red/Green since that one is my favorite.

I'm kind of rediscovering Time And A Word through this thread. I used to love it but lately I haven't regarded it very high among the other albums.

I would LOVE to hear a remix of it without the orchestra. I think the orchestra is little more than a distraction. Most of the orchestration is just a mimic of the keyboard part. What's the point?

Peter's guitar playing on these first two YES records is just amazing. Part of me wishes they had done one more with this lineup.

23. I understand. Like many, I prefer the stuff with Steve Howe. But the early records really do have their charms, and I would have loved to have heard more. But if they'd done 3-4 albums with that line-up, would they have even survived to continue at all?

24. saundr00

Thanks. Please let us know what you have either way.

25. saundr00

Hard to say. I also wish the "The YES Album" lineup had done more together. I'm not a huge Wakeman fan honestly.