The YES Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 8, 2009.

1. robob

robob Forum Resident

Indeed, I wonder if most, if not all complaints in these forums of inner groove distortion is from folks with improperly setup systems or analog front ends incapable of tracking a hot groove. As my systems have improved I seldom, if ever, hear inner groove distortion. I do have several LPs with non fill and other issues however.

Enjoying the discussion:)

Lemon Curry likes this.
  2. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I have several pressings of LPs that go back to 80's timeframes for purchase from the (then) local record store. Fragile, Close To The Edge, and Yessongs. All are great, a few clicks and pops aside.

I've pre-ordered the Atlantic 75 version of The Yes Album. If this is anything like the quality of the A75 "Selling England By The Pound", I think the best pressings question will have a new answer. I know I'll probably go after a few more.

Acoustic Warrior and hi_watt like this.
  3. robob

robob Forum Resident

Great may be a bit of overstatement re 80's YES pressings.

I do agree that the A75 Selling is very good. Not sure they were able to keep it AAA. I too have The Yes Album A75 on order. I will make an effort to compare my versions of that and others. I have UK firsts of a few along with 1st or early US copies.

You folks take care,
    Robert

Lemon Curry likes this.
  4. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Acoustic Sounds says of SEBTP:

"Mastered directly from the original master tape by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering"

If there is a digital step involved, the language is getting more and more deceptive. (e.g. "directly")

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
    robob likes this.
  5. robob

robob Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Last time I looked I did not see that.

I will add that I understand it may be a licensing thing, but I would prefer 33 rpm. Many of us are older and don't want to get up so often.

Y'all take care,
    Robert

6. robob

robob Forum Resident

Good Sunday Morning,

At least to those in the North America. Good whatever else to the rest of you.

I listened to my UK 1st Relayer Porky/Pecko and my US early* and prefer the US early. The US early is less bright which is not necessarily a good thing for my older ears, but the good thing is it's fuller in the mids and low end without being muddy. Side note is the US early is my original purchased within weeks of release. It has been warped for as long as I can remember, but I have been fortunate to have had analog front ends that will track it fine. At least the first side won't even flatten with my vacuum tables.

I believe I have a Japanese Relayer and will audition it if I can find it.

Good day to you all,
    Robert
    *I can't find any mastering info on it, but will look again with a cleaner magnifier:)

yesstiles likes this.
  7. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

I also bought this recently for £16 - an unplayed mint copy. It sounds stupendous - well worth having

gorangers likes this.
  8. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Just got a vinyl copy of Mirror to the Sky-- These all disappeared pretty quick, but I found the tan vinyl pressing for about $40 on EBay.

Like the two before it, it has a warmer and fuller sound on vinyl. Only complaint is that the bonus tracks are spread over one disc, so there are two long sides and two really short ones.

Boom Operator likes this.
  9. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

I am interested in confirmed AAA vinyl reissues of any Yes Album in recent years.

Apart from the 1982 MOFI Close to the Edge and Fragile by Analogue Productions - AAPP 7211, are there any more than these below :

CTTE by Chris Bellman in 2012 : https://www.discogs.com/release/4070858-Yes-Close-To-The-Edge : are we sure this is AAA ?

Fragile by Kevin Gray in 2016 : https://www.discogs.com/release/8515237-Yes-Fragile

Drama by Kevin Gray in 2016 : https://www.discogs.com/release/8519099-Yes-Drama

Yes by Kevin Gray : in 2019 : https://www.discogs.com/release/13487468-Yes-Yes

The Yes Album by Bernie Grundman in 2023 https://www.discogs.com/release/29033218-Yes-The-Yes-Album

10. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

^ Bump : would be interested to have other people’s opinions ……

11. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

There's a mid-2010s Rhino 180g reissue of Tales but it's not clear whether it's AAA or not... though my guess is probably not as I couldn't easily find any info to that effect online.

highfell likes this.
  12. highfell

highfell Forum Resident

Thanks .

By all accounts it is cut from a digital file. - see this thread here : New 2LP "Tales From Topographic Oceans" (7/29/2016)

webbcity likes this.
  13. webbcity

Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for that, was wondering myself as I don't have that pressing. I have all the confirmed AAA pressings you listed though.

highfell likes this.
  14. webbcity

I've done a bit more digging on this myself and haven't come up with anything. I think you may have gotten them all in your list above. Apart from the upcoming Analogue Productions 45 RPMs of course.

highfell likes this.