The YES Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 8, 2009.

1. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

Can't believe I replied to the same post twice. I must be getting old... :help:

2. saundr00

3. mikeymad

mikeymad Forum Resident

Found my pressings... I have the last of the Yes album listed, but I have two Time and a Word that are not:

Time And A Word:
    (German Release)

Cover:
    Nude cover
    ATL 40 085
    (SD 8273)
    Germany: (Z)
    France: WE 341
    Made in Germany by WEA Musik GmbH

Disk:
    Green and Orange Label

Side One:
    K 40 085
    R/S Alsdorf 40085 A4 PF 48

Side Two:
    K 40 085
    R/S Alsdorf 40085 B3XX 48 STRAWBERRY (C) UK

Time And A Word:
    SD 8273
    1841 Broadway New York

Disk:
    Green and Orange Label

Side One:
    ST-A-701991-SP
    ST-A-701991-G 1-1 sf atl SRC

Side Two:
    ST-A-701992-SP
    ST-A-701992-G 1-1 sf atl SRC

I need to drop them on and see how they sound...

Cheers,

4. saundr00

Time And A Word

Thanks for that. Could you verify that the address for your US pressing is 1841 Broadway on both the album jacket and the label?

I ask because of the SRC in the deadwax. Usually that indicates a late 70s pressing.

Thanks.

5. mikeymad

mikeymad Forum Resident

Good call I was going to update my post, but didn't have an edit button right now.... I did not check the address at the time, but I found address changes on my friends disks, when I was checking information.

Anyway:

Time And A Word:
    SD 8273
    1841 Broadway New York

Disk:
    Green and Orange Label
    75 Rockefeller Plaza NY NY

Side One:
    ST-A-701991-SP
    ST-A-701991-G 1-1 sf atl SRC

Side Two:
    ST-A-701992-SP
    ST-A-701992-G 1-1 sf atl SRC

6. saundr00

The YES Album

Here are my copies of The YES Album and a few notes. Samples either tonight or tomorrow.

The YES Album

UK Red/Plum
    Atlantic Super 2400 101
    Side One 2400101 A//1 11 33
    Side Two 2400101 B//1 2 11 2 7

Anyone know what Super means? My copy looks terrific put has groove distortion all over it.

The YES Album
    US Red/Green
    SD 8283 1841 Broadway
    Side One:
    ST-A-712139 PR
    ST-A-712139 A AT/GP PR
    Side Two:
    ST-A-712140 PR
    ST-A-712140 A AT/GP PR

My favorite copy of this album. Both sides George Piros. Probably my earliest too.

The YES Album
    US Red/Green
    SD 8283 75 Rockefeller (no WB)
    Side One:
    ST-A-712139 PR
    ST-A-712139-D AT/DK PR
    Side Two:
    ST-A-712140 PR
    ST-A-712140-D AT/DK PR

Close To The Edge and Yessongs on sleeve. 1973 - 1975. Dennis King.

The YES Album
    US Red/Green
    SD 8283 75 Rockefeller (WB)
    Side One:
    ST-A-712139 PR
    ST-A-712139 A AT/GP PR
    Side Two:
    ST-A-712140 PR
    ST-A-712140-D AT/DK PR

1975 - 1977. A mutt.

The YES Album
    US Red/Green
    Side One:
    ST-A-712139 PR
    ST-A-712139 A AT/GP PR
    Side Two:
    ST-A-712140 PR
    ST-A-712140-D AT/DK PR-P

Same as above.

The YES Album
    US Red/Green
    SD 19131 75 Rockefeller (WB)
    Side One:
    ST-A-712139-SP
    ST-A-712139-E SRC EF -5
    Side Two:
    ST-A-712140-SP
    ST-A-712140-F AT/GP (PR) G-1 SM1-3

Late 70s Specialty Records. EF is in cursive. Not sure who that could be. Anyone know?

7. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

The YES Album

The YES Album
    US Red/Green
    SD 8283 1841 Broadway

Side One:
    ST-A-712139 B-1-1 AT/GP PR S D
    note: "D" is just above & right of the "S"

Side Two:
    ST-A-712140 B-1-111 AT/GP PR D S

The Yes Album, Led Zeppelin IV, & others are on the Atlantic ad sleeve

This one sounds really nice but I do not have any other copies to compare with.

8. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Mine matches this one except the ST-A numbers and PR are not repeated. Inner sleeve shows only other albums from the same time period (Deja Vu, Zep III, In The Wake Of Poseiden, etc), so I am assuming mine is a first U.S. pressing.

George Piros pressings have been hit or miss for me (some of the misses will be showing up later in this thread. . .), but this pressing sounds great. Easily mops the floor with any cd version I've heard.

9. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

In my comparisons the Piros mastering owns every other version hands down. my best pressing though is from New Zealand with Piros plates. weird no?

10. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Gah totally forgot about this :(

11. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

THE YES ALBUM

All the UK copies I have seen have "ATLANTIC SUPER" on the back of the jacket.

Regarding the groove distortion you are reporting, I think that is partly due to the way this pressing was cut. I have had at least six copies of UK plums and they all played with some distortion regardless of the visual condition. The UK album was certainly cut very hot, and both sides are excessively long. It pushes the technical limits of a 12" LP to put a loud climactic track like "Starship Trooper" at the end of a 22 minute side. Inner groove distortion is also a given, and these pressings dish it out!

12. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

THE YES ALBUM

The YES Album
    UK Red/Plum
    Atlantic Super 2400 101
    "Campbell Connelly & Co" labels
    Side One 2400101 A//1 11 19
    Side Two 2400101 B//1 1 11 1 0 (the lowest I have seen--and the best sounding side two plum I've heard)

The YES Album
    UK Red/Plum
    Atlantic Super 2400 101
    "Rondor Music/Yessongs" labels
    Side One 2400101 A//1 11 2 7
    Side Two 2400101 B//1 1 11 31

The YES Album
    Smooth jacket with "1841 Broadway"
    US Red/Green
    SD 8283 1841 Broadway
    Side One:
    "ST-A-712139 PR" on label
    ST-A-712139 A AT/GP PR[tiny]
    Side Two:
    "ST-A-712140PR" on label
    ST-A-712140 A AT/GP PR PR[tiny]
    My favorite copy:)

The YES Album
    Textured jacket with "1841 Broadway"
    US Red/Green
    Side One:
    "ST-A71239-PR" label
    ST-A-712139-D AT/DK PRP
    Side Two:
    "ST-A-712140 PR" label
    ST-A-712140-D AT/DK (PR) P

13. saundr00

The ST-A numbers do not repeat. I should probably discuss my layout for the US pressings.

The YES Album

US Red/Green This is label color
    SD 8283 1841 Broadway Catalog # and address on label
    Side One:
    ST-A-712139 PR This is written at the bottom of the label. Not the deadwax.I include this so we will know the pressing plant as you can't always tell from the deadwax on Atlantic cuts. This one is from PR = Presswell in New Jersey.
    ST-A-712139 A AT/GP PR Deadwax info.
    Side Two:
    ST-A-712140 PR
    ST-A-712140 A AT/GP PR

Sorry for any confusion. :angel:

14. saundr00

The YES Album

Thanks for that. My Polydor UK copy if s/t does not say Super. My Polydor Time and a Word and The YES Album do though.

RE: Groove distortion. That's interesting to know. My copy looks perfect. I would rate NM. Plays VG at best.

15. saundr00

The YES Album

I wonder what that PRP / (PR) P. One of mine has PR-P on it. I know that PR = Presswell but I don't know if the PR was added at Presswell or when the record was cut.

The DK is probably my second favorite. Certain parts of it sounds great and it is not cut as close to the center; less inner groove distortion.

16. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Ah, sorry for my confusion. Funny thing is I thought you might have meant that the ST-A number was on the label, but I looked and didn't see it. Must examine it more carefully. . .

BTW, I do not recall hearing any inner groove distortion on the U.S. Piros pressing. Is it only present on the British pressings? tlmusic's explanation makes it sound like it ought to be on every pressing due to format limitations.

17. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I am so glad I went with an inexpensive US pressing cut by GP. It was cheap, NM, and does sound really nice. I was thinking about a UK Red Plum, which would have cost a good bit more and from these reports, would not have sounded as good.

18. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Did my final shoot out between the Piros and the second UK pressing of the first Yes album. Not really much of a contest. The UK A2 B2 was the clear winner. This version is head and shoulders above all my other versions.

19. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Speaking of the Yes album, how is the hiss level on your copies? I'm at work so I can't post my deadwax info right now, but I have an original Canadian SD-8283 pressing that sounds tremendous musically but has a really noticeable amount of tape hiss in the left channel on quiet parts through the entire album.

I also have the Rhino vinyl reissue and while it's a nice quiet pressing, the mastering is kinda dull as if it's deliverately EQed to sound warmer than any CD version but in doing so they sucked the life right out of it!

20. saundr00

The YES Album

I have just a little on Starship Trooper on my Piros. It was cut very hot and there is only about 1/2 of deadwax on side one.

My UK Polydor has distortion all over it on both sides.

21. saundr00

YES s/t

Interesting. I didn't see any as being the clear winner but to each his own. :thumbsup:Thanks for the comments.

22. saundr00

The YES Album

Hmm... I'll give them a listen tonight but I just switched to a Low Output Moving Coil so my pre gives a little hiss of its own. :confused:

I've just ordered a Graham Slee Elevator/Reflex combo that I hope will help the situation.

So this hiss is only on the left channel? How odd. I honestly don't remember hearing any on any of my pressings, not even the later ones. I'll report back.

23. saundr00

The YES Album

Just listened to my 1841 Broadway AT/GP of The YES Album and yes, there is a little hiss. I just noticed on the part in Yours Is No Disgrace part where it's just the vocals and Bill and Chris playing.

Not too distracting though, plus I can't say for certain that it is not my phono pre that I am using. I will listen again when the new gear gets here (next Monday).

EDIT: One more thing. I've decided not to do anymore needle drops until the new gear gets here. Seems like a waste as I would probably end up redoing them anyway. Do you guys want to move on to Fragile or wait until I can post some samples next week? I could see it going either way, honestly.

24. saundr00

The YES Album

Just another quick note on The YES Album. This is just such an amazing album. As much as I love the first two, this one was a giant leap forward in song writing.

I'm wondering how much Eddie Offord was involved in shaping the musical direction on this one. :idea:

robob likes this.
  25. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Definitely...seems like The Yes Album is the one where it all really came together for the band. I'm thinking the addition of Steve Howe probably had a lot to do with it, too.