The YES Vinyl Pressings Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saundr00, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Ere

Ere Senior Member

The Yes Album

Yes was my favorite band in high school and I saw them three times between '75 and '78. I listened mostly then to CTTE, Relayer (the first album I ever bought the day it was released), Tales, and Yesterdays. Somehow TYA eluded me in those days so it has only been with my more recent excursions into the band that I turn to it more and more. What a headtrip it is on every listen and so full of good vibes and great playing.

2. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby Thread Starter

The YES Album

Yup. I'm sure Steve had a big part in it too. Although, I'd love to hear what the first lineup would have come up with given the chance to word with Eddie.

3. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I like my US WLP of "The Yes Album" best (A and AT/GP on both sides) compared to later US pressings and my UK Red/Plum pressing.

4. saundr00

The YES Album

Cool. Is your WLP a Piros cut? I've always wondered if he was the first to cut this one.

5. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

6. TLMusic

The Yes Album--UK Plum distortion

How many copies of the plum UK Yes Album have you heard? I wonder what sort of distortion you are referring to. Or, is it more crackle and pop?

I wouldn't write off that pressing, as it really is one of the best. It's just cut really hot, with loud bass, and is a serious challenge for any cartridge. Also, I have wondered how carefully the metal parts were made for that pressing. For example, all the copies I've heard tend to crackle and "pop" during the big guitar power chords at the start of side one. Maybe they didn't do a very effective job of "deticking" the mothers. This is just conjecture, but would explain why every copy crackles on basically the same places. Yet all copies seem pretty quiet for "Clap" where one might expect to hear lots of surface noise.

Also, it is possible that your copy was carefully handled but played with a worn stylus, or even a mono stylus. That causes a sort of distortion. The Yes Album dates from the time when many people still had mono turntables. England made the transition from mono to stereo a bit later than the US. I have encountered many LPs (more often stereo) that were probably damaged by an inappropriate cartridge.

robob likes this.
  7. mikeymad

mikeymad Forum Resident

I am very close......

Been a long time since I have listened to it...

Cheers,

8. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Yup, GP.

9. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

I would love to hear samples from The Yes album that's for sure. Also I think your posted needle drops sound very good. I find it very easy to tell the difference between the samples and to me that means quality.

Also I think this thread is a little helter skelter. Not the easiest to follow.

10. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

The Yes Album

WLP:
    A AT/GP
    A AT/GP

UK Plum:
    A//1 1 11 33
    B//1 1 11 33

The WLP gets the nod here. Great energy and dynamics. The Plum is a bit more full sounding with a bit more bottom end but the drum set sounds like it has a blanket over it. Too bad.

11. saundr00

Only Tom Port would list a very noisy record that only sounds good on side 1 for 100 bucks. At least he is honest about the noise but sheesh.

12. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Unfortunately he states his 'opinions' as facts!

JG

13. saundr00

The YES Album

I've only heard this one. Not crackles and pops. It is distortion on the high frequencies. I will try to post a sample tonight.

This is very possible.

14. saundr00

The YES Album

I figured I would make the thread as confusing to follow as the bands lineup over the years. :cool:

Thanks for the compliments on the needle drops. I will try to put up something from The YES Album tonight.

15. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Careful guys. Threads discussing Tom Port get gorted pretty quickly for some reason. Best to avoid this topic. . .

16. saundr00

You are right. I don't want this to turn into a Tom Port bashing thread. It's about YES. :righton:

17. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Noted!

JG

18. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

The Mentions of noisy play are a common problem with Atlantic pressings (and also the Atco Banner), Rick at orpheus records always used to say he ranked Atlantic among the worst in terms of of pressing quality- this over 30 years of selling used records. Other causes are the record was played too many times on an unfriendly turntable/cartridge. My Yes album is an early 70's pressing with the 1841 address and At/GP from a D, and E stamper and luckily isnt too noisy. It's dynamic and detailed. Btw I have yet to see any Yes album that is'nt a GP (except for Porky relayer and fragile). Are they all created equal? buy a few and find out.

19. saundr00

I have plenty that aren't Piros cuts. Dennis King also cut records for Atlantic. The late 70s ones were cut at Strawberry in the UK.

20. curbach

Not to mention various club pressings. . .

21. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Are you referring to UK albums. I have never seen a US atlantic that was'nt, not that there are'nt any, but it certainly seems to be the majority of US pressings, I saw a club pressing (RCOA) yesterday that was GP also.

22. curbach

It's true that GP in the deadwax is very common on U.S. pressings, but I have seen a fair number of club and non-club pressings of various Yes titles with no GP (not counting the later albums cut @ Strawberry).

23. TLMusic

:agree:

For example, this album (that I listed) is not a George Piros:

The YES Album
    Textured jacket with "1841 Broadway"
    US Red/Green
    SD 8283 75 Rockefeller (WB)
    Side One:
    "ST-A71239-PR" label
    ST-A-712139-D AT/DK PRP
    Side Two:
    "ST-A-712140 PR" label
    ST-A-712140-D AT/DK (PR) P

24. saundr00

25. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

A little late to the party but here is all I have:

Yes - S/T SD8243 (Monarch Plant?)
    ST-A-691679BB-REPL AT-GP ∆20304(1) PR
    ST-A-691680-BB-REPL AT-GP ∆20304-1(1) PR

Yes - Fragile
    ST-A-712367-H 1-4
    ST-A-712368 -F 1-2

Yes - Close To The Edge (GEMA Pressing) ATL-50012
    WEA 50012-A PF
    WEA 50012-B PF

Yes - Yessongs SD 3-100
    ST-A-73280313 AT/GP Q-1 SM 1-2
    ST-A-732804-G AGP 1-1
    ST-A-732805-E AGP 1-5
    ST-A-73280613-AT/GP SPO-2SM1-1
    ST-A-732807-F AGP SP0-2SM1-1
    ST-A-737808-E AGP

Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans SD 2-908
    STA 7330 17H PR
    STA 7330 18A AT-GP PR
    STA 7330 19D PR
    STA 7330 20A PR

Yes - Relayer SD-18122
    ST-H-743267AA PORKY ∆19572 PR
    ST-A-743268AA PECKO ∆19572-X (X) PR

Yes - Going For The One (UK) K50379 (SD-19106)
    I-96 K50379 A-38 EG- ALLEN
    2-7 K50379 B-38 EG ALLEN

Also have the Analogue Productions of Fragile :angel: