These Immortal Souls, LPs finally reissued!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by InsideTheMuseums, Jan 25, 2024.

1. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

I swear from the bottom of my heart I didn't re-read this before saying, in my previous post, it reminded me of Mutiny! and The Bad Seed - I'm just going back over the thread now and spotted this.

It's there though all over the first two C+TCS records isn't it? All over it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Heard both bands in the film years ago, but never really bothered to explore either group. Now I'm interested and will look into these reissues. Word is Mute bricked the ACR reissues they did so I'm hoping they don't do that with these. Looking forward to seeing some reviews and data on the mastering.

3. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

4. CDlover

CDlover Senior Member

Has anyone listened to the new remaster of both regular albums? I own the original editions on CD and would be interested in the new editions if the sound is considerably better. Thanks.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. Tom1111199

Tom1111199 Well-Known Member

Need to pick up my pre-orders to find out !! It’s so great these two albums are finally available again
    And the EXTRAS lp is a wonderful bonus

6. foureyedsometimes

foureyedsometimes I don’t know, but I want it

Mine arrived yesterday but not had chance to play. Hopefully today.

7. Sister138

Sister138 Member

Has anyone had the chance to listen to them yet? I'm curious to know if the remastering from the original masters has noticeably improved the sound. Also, does anyone have any information on where these reissues were pressed?

8. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Picked up the CDs today. I hadn't really listened to this band until a year or two so ago so was pleased when I heard about the timely reissues.

9. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

Ditto.

For those of you in the US who ordered from the US Mute store, were they made in Germany? I ordered from the UK because I wanted to make sure to get a Euro pressing, but I noticed that Discogs just has one listing that says “worldwide.” Doesn’t matter much, I guess, since I got a package deal and the cost was about the same (even with overseas shipping).

10. versionsound

Listening to the first album right now, and so far it’s perfect QC-wise - flat, on-center, and I haven’t heard a single pop or crackle yet. I did a quick comparison to the CD (OG Mute pressing), and the CD is definitely louder, not hugely so, though. I feel like the vinyl sounds a little more natural, but I don’t think there’s a huge difference. I don’t think the recording itself is very hi-fi, and Rowland liked his guitars pretty bright. I’m curious to hear what other people think, but on my very modest system, I’m not hearing anything so far that would say that you HAVE to get these if you already own the CDs. The same guy mastered this as Rowland’s two solo records, so he knows Rowland well and did a good job, but I think the original CD is mastered pretty well too.

The back cover of all three says “Made in Germany,” so pressed at Pallas or Optimal, I’m guessing. Looks like the Teenage Snuff Film reissue was pressed at Pallas, so probably there. I’ll see if I can decipher anything from the run-outs…

EDIT: Looking at the run-outs, looks like this one was mastered by Jasper Ward, and I think it was pressed at Optimal.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    Sister138 likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

If anyone picked up the CDs or grabbed the Bandcamp digi remasters, I'd love to see DR numbers. Thanks.

12. GoDominator

GoDominator Active Member

I must say, I think the meanness of omitting the bonus tracks from the Get Lost CD is just staggering. They even refer to it being a mere 30 mins. LP - what is the reasoning behind such a lousy decision?
    No one else gives a crap, not worth a mention? Or y'all got lucky and have that old CD?
    It was unavailable long ago, I had to settle for the vinyl.......

dlemaudit, CDlover and versionsound like this.
  13. versionsound

patient_ot likes this.
  14. versionsound

I do have the original CD, but I agree that it sucks that they left the bonus tracks off the new CD, or didn’t at least add them to Extra. If you have the old vinyl and would prefer the old CD, I’m sure you could easily sell it for more than it would cost you to buy a copy of the OG CD…

GoDominator likes this.
  15. Tom1111199

Tom1111199 Well-Known Member

The vinyl pressing of I’m Never Gonna Die Again is a thing of beauty - can’t wait to hear the other two

versionsound likes this.
  16. GoDominator

GoDominator Active Member

Yeah....I intend to get Extra, and you're right, also, there's tons of live stuff on YT, so just 5 trax is again, so mean it's just pathetic and miserable.
    What with the new vinyl of Get Lost, and the old CD going for £55 or so on discogs, I can't agree on that one. At least those alt. takes are actually findable on a YT search, unlike almost anything these days.
    I was listening to Just South and Hanging Man and was baffled, sounds like Genevieve on kybds but isn't. Weird.
    I find that Bonney feller hard to take. It's a pity, with such a phenomenal guitarist behind him.......
    Outta print stuff is such a curse. But I take a really dim view of the sparse nature of these reissues......

CDlover and versionsound like this.
  17. versionsound

Probably Mick Harvey on the organ, if I had to guess. I always liked Simon myself. Vocally, at least, he falls right in with Nick and Rowland.

18. kj_rawk

kj_rawk Forum Resident

Can’t believe how good the live recordings on Extra sound! Does anybody know the background of these recordings? Year etc?

Btw, check out the RSD (and so far only) release of the ”lost” Soundtracks & Head album ”Daga Daga Daga” on Glass Modern, only 42 years after the ”Rain Rain Rain” single. It’s a thing of beauty if you enjoy the stuff Epic Soundtracks did in the early eighties…

19. versionsound

I assumed that they were recorded at the same time as “My One-Eyed Daughter” from the “King of Kalifornia” EP, but that was only an assumption. The only credits given for that are “live in Las Vegas.” Given that all the tracks are from the first album and that TIS didn’t make it back to the US after I’m Never Gonna Die Again, it would fit. As to why that show would have been recorded - no clue.

CDlover likes this.
  20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Bump for DR numbers on these reissues.

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Bonney's voice is an acquired taste IMHO.

22. versionsound

Really? I always just lumped him in with the rest of the deep-voiced goth-punk crowd and never really thought twice about it.

23. kj_rawk

kj_rawk Forum Resident

Yes, I thought so as well but then I read the info on the EP and it says that all songs were recorded in the same studio, so I’m doubting that MOED is actually a live recording…

24. phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria Lost Child

Well, a few weeks on from getting these records, these are my thoughts. I spent a lot of late nights over the years listening to Get Lost (Don't Lie!) but for some unfathomable reason I had never spent much time with I'm Never Gonna Die Again. What a mistake! It's an incredible record that I've fallen in love with over the past few weeks - easily up there with Junkyard and Teenage Snuff Film as my favourite things Rowland recorded. I really can't believe I almost missed this one.. hauntingly beautiful dark balladry. An absolute gem.

The quality of all three records is first class - pristine pressings. Completely black and quiet when it needs to be, and bright and dynamic when it needs to be too. Just fantastic.

CDlover likes this.