UK 1st press vinyl recorded in England, but mastered in America

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TLMusic, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joselito

joselito Forum Resident

Does anyone know which UK press of Brain Salad Surgery vinyl was indeed the very first one made in UK?

I suppose there would be no difference except the cover in buying the first UK press if you already have the US press.

I've heard the UK press and US press of that album were different, but that must apply to later presses in the UK.
    I believe somewhere in this very forum I read that a "click" at the quiet beginning of Toccata, which one hears in the Victory CD releases and in many others, is actually heard in some UK vinyl presses but not in the US press.

So I wonder in which UK press such difference (if it is a fact) and perhaps others (between UK and US) appeared.

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I'm only aware of the original UK Manticore label pressings done by Kinney products which I believe (or recall) uses 'K #####' matrices. These came in US made card stock covers, same as US copies. I have a US promo copy with the Atlantic DJ Radio Promotional Only sticker. The vinyl is a Monarch/Specialty pressing using -F/-F lacquer codes. No indication of its UK heritage anywhere other than Manticore/Distributed by Atlantic language on the cover. I sold my UK Manticore because I thought my US sounded identical.

3. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

XTC's Nonsuch LP credits says it was mastered by Bob Ludwig, but there is nothing to indicate on the vinyl that it was. I'm not sure if they just copied the CD credits onto the LP or not.

Both US and UK vinyl versions of Bad Company's Straight Shooter were mastered at The Mastering Lab.

The same goes for Free's Heartbreaker; mastered at Sterling.

Later, Chris

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Correction: 'Piece of Mind' was cut @ Utopia for the UK pressing.

5. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

Pink Floyd - "The final Cut" > TML

6. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Rainbow and Queen Lps (UK 1st pressing, post 1976) were cut at Sterling.

7. simonux

simonux Custom Title

Uriah Heep - The magician Birthday 1st uk pressing has "G. Kong" in deadwax.

8. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

actually, reading the OP's title, the Rainbow stuff wasn't recorded in the UK.

9. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector Thread Starter

The "1st UK pressing" of Brain Salad Surgery actually consisted of the jacket and poster printed in the UK with a US made record in a standard early 70s US Atlantic/Atco "adverts" inner sleeve. The records in the UK jackets I've seen were -G cuts.

I also once found a US pressing here in Michigan that had US printed artwork, and an identical US made record (-G) and inner to the UK.

Here's a popsike example of the "1st UK pressing".
    http://www.popsike.com/EMERSON-LAKE-PALMER-BRAIN-SALAD-SURGERY-1st-UK-UnPlAyEd/260359521174.html

10. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Actually the very first UK pressing was done by Porky it is the A1 // B1 cut

11. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Interesting, as my UK GEN LP3 copy has no Masterdisk in the deadwax nor is there any mention of it anywhere.

12. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Just to clarify, the UK vinyl Scary Monsters was mastered at Townhouse in London, not Sterling in the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.