What are Micro Dynamics in music? Beatles Tony Sheridan Polydor era vs. Parlophone..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

The CD with the blue background (with Ringo) was withdrawn when it was pointed out that people may have thought they were being misled as to the contents.

2. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

And the nail is struck firmly on the head.

3. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Is this the same album and the same mastering?

Attached Files:

4. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Now I know why I didn't care for The Beatles for so long and I still don't care for most of the stuff before Rubber Soul/Revolver.. the Stones oth sounded fab to me from the first moment I heard them and I adore their first albums !
    EMI' Higher ranking engineers sabotaged their sound !

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

So you're basically saying the later recordings were over-compressed? To me, that's just the style of the period -- I buy it as "the way it was," rather than being concerned about what it could've been. It's just another creative choice the producer and engineers made.

I agree that you can get a much cleaner recording with less processing and a very simple signal path. But I'd also wonder whether the more-processed song might not jump out better from a 3" transistor radio in 1962. I'm too used to the clutter and punch the songs have to worry about whether there could've been more dynamic range if they had kept things simpler.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Well, my point was that APACHE was mixed for stereo in 1968, AFTER the squash period and sounds wonderful. The earlier mixes are squashed.

Dude, you realize that this thread is from January of 2010, right?

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

1968 was after the squash period?!

8. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, you know, that line leveling EMI sound where the background comes up when there is a lull in the vocals like on Tell Me Why, etc. Listen to the Shadows stereo mixes from 1963-66 and compare to that late stereo mixes of their early songs like APACHE, MAN OF MYSTERY, etc. By 68 that nastiness was gone and the songs actually sound wonderful and clean with that MAYBE I'M AMAZED type of sound. Of course the stereo mixes especially for the 1968 Greatest Hits album had no processing on them due to time constraints or whatever but you get my meaning. If APACHE had been mixed in stereo in 1963 it would have sounded pretty awful.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not familiar with the Shadows, but just thinking of the Beatles stuff from that era (Let It Be excepted) that's still compressed to all hell, although perhaps in different ways. Drums don't sound like *that*.

10. Steve Hoffman

Well it's a good thing that Geoff E. wasn't involved with a piddly thing like remixing Shadows songs or else Apache might have had drums as squashed as REVOLUTION.

How did this old thread get suddenly bumped?

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sure, but I'm not the guy that revived it. I assume all the comments are just as relevant today, since we're talking about 50-year-old music.

I think the bottom line is that different engineers and producers reached for different tools when they felt like it. Sometimes "cleaner" is not the sound they wanted.

Maybe a better question to ask is: can you still have "microdynamics" and have a hit that would have jumped out of an AM radio speaker in 1962?

12. Steve Hoffman

Well, any USA recording engineer of that era worth his weight in salt wouldn't compress the crap out of the unmixed multi-tracks and then overkill the mixes to make sure nothing is left alive. That was a deliberate EMI "take no chances" type thing that needed special weird processing gear and a conscious effort to pulverize the music. It's no easy feat to remove ALL micro dynamics from a recording. Jeff Lynne could barely figure out how to do it in the 1970's..

I loves me my Beatles records but watch a VU meter sometime on that stuff. Yikes-ee.

Tim 2 likes this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

How about the drums on A Beautiful Morning and A Ray of Hope? What do you have to do to make things sound THAT BAD?

What's odd is 1) the drums on a lot of other Rascals songs sound good (more or less) and 2) at least in the case of A Ray of Hope, the vocals sound just fine. Did somebody push the "poop" button on the backing but not the vocals?

14. Steve Hoffman

Rascals? Heh, no comment. Love the music, not a fan of the engineer. RAY OF HOPE, a bounce was involved. I think that killed the music before the vocals were added..

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I mean...some songs sound (more or less) fine. Yet *parts* of others sound like poop.

I have to wonder how much of that stuff Tom Dowd engineered and how much other staff engineers (Adrian Barber, etc) did.

Wow. I never knew Adrian Barber also recorded the Beatles' Star Club recordings.

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

An *internal* bounce off the sync head would explain that.

17. Steve Hoffman

Yup. That would do it. Engineering DONT'S 101. Bad ju ju.

Those old Altec monitors they used at Atlantic really made it hard to hear what was bad sounding and what was OK sounding. That giant midrange honk really threw engineers off.

"Silly Altecs! You must die!"

Attached Files:

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Fact too, the Shadows recorded in Studio One, got the best EMI Early Stereo before the tinkering happened. Studio Two was much more pop sessions and usually more conservative on engineering in the early days on Parlophone. Some Parlophone LP discs were engineered better, say "At The Drop Of Another Hat" by Flanders and Swann in Stereo in 1963 or so. Which wasn't tinkered with.

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

20. Steve Hoffman

AH, that makes sense!

21. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Ok, resurrecting an old thread, but I'm listening to the Pickwick version of this LP, titled "The Beatles Featuring Tony Sheridan" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UPXF8O...e=asn&creative=395109&creativeASIN=B000UPXF8O and although it says Electronically Created STEREO, it sounds to me like it is real stereo, clear separation on all the songs. Am I just imagining this, or can someone confirm that these are the true stereo versions? By the way, this LP sounds amazing!

Tim 2 likes this.
  22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I wonder if Pete not being allowed to use hus bassdrum freed up some "air" that helped the dynamics.

23. Kit2010

Kit2010 Too far gone

This might be an old thread, but that's the best damn explanation of transients I've ever heard. Makes it easy to understand why their reproduction depends on so many things, like recording gear, recording and playback media, playback setup to name just a few. Thanks.

Tim 2 and Steve Hoffman like this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

True stereo. The note on the cover is wrong.

As you say, that's a nice sounding LP.

25. Steve Hoffman

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.