Why is some of my cheap vinyl quieter than audiophile vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jamie Tate, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Believe me, living in LA in the 70's/80's you could get much better copies of records. Lots of promos laying around!!!

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

How much does it cost and how long does it last?
    JG

3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

32oz bottle $25, brush $45 with one replacement pad. You use the same amount of fluid as record research labs.

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

1 brush $45? You should be able to get a single brush for less than that. I bought some DD quick wash from Tom Port. He was willing to sell me a single brush to go along with the fluid. I think he charged me 1/2 the cost of a pair. I don't know how much he wants to break up pairs of brushes though. It probably helped that I bought some of the quick wash from him.

I've also used the DD quick wash on new and like new records. Seems to work nicely for me. And a lot quicker than the regular DD stuff...I can hand clean about 6 records in 15-20 minutes.

I still use the regular DD stuff for slightly dirty or worse LPs though.

5. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

:goodie:

Wow. I am so glad you posted this, I had no idea that DD had created a no-rinse formula. Ordered that baby as soon as I read your post. THANKS. I've been using the old formula and that rinsing process can wear on you fast. Ordered my bottle and new brushes from Elusive Disc.

6. vette442

vette442 Senior Member

Is there a definintive list of digital OJC LPs? If the cover says 'remastered by Phil DeLancie or Joe Taratino (sp?), should I make that assumption?

I have a lot of sealed OJC LPs, but I try to get the original Pablo LPs whenever I can find NM vinyl and near perfect covers (sometimes really hard to do with these - the edges of those black covers don't hold up well). I'm assuming those are all analog! For the digital OJC LP titles, I may as well grab the CDs instead from now on.

By the way, I bought a copy of "88 Basie Street" last week on Pablo and was floored by the sound quality - I'm not sure how Steve's AP 45 could improve on that. Since that title sold out right before I started buying some of the APs, I'll probably never find out unless I bend over for MyMusicFix.com's price....

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I used to think that way too. Since I got the record cleaning machine, I've come to know better. I take out a clean-looking, lovingly cared for LP, play it....then, I clean it and it plays with less noise. Over time, even the cleanest looking LP does get dirty, smog, smoke, cooking residues, dander, pet hair, incense, hair spray, you name it, it's in our homes. I've come to believe all my old LP's have a subtle film upon them. The last step to making a new LP, apparently, is inserting the little paper chips and dust into the sleeve. Thus, I think new records need a wash. I've proved that to myself too.

With cleaning, some ticks go away, many get smaller, the worst, well, they're warts we're stuck with. Signed, no longer a doubting thomas. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.