With the Sun in My Eyes: Brothers Gibb (Bee Gees/Andy Gibb) Song-by song thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

This but I go with rating 1

Photon, Jarleboy, RelayerNJ and 2 others like this.
  2. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

If nothing else “Completely Unoriginal” shows that The Bee Gees were self-aware and able to acknowledge criticisms of their songs and overall sound. While they certainly worked within their genre, they explored original themes and did create loads of original music, even by 1968. That they could poke fun at the critics and themselves is refreshing. The joke does go on longer than it needs to, though. When you have to explain your punch line … 3/5

Photon, Will Harris, Majk and 9 others like this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Robin needed one or both of his more musical brothers to fully compose songs.

Photon, Majk, lavalamp3 and 2 others like this.
  4. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

AS Robin said, it's just a joke that they never intended to release. In that spirit as a bit of light-hearted self-amusement to keep the creative juices flowing, I like it, and the fact that it has an actually strong melody means I'll give it a 3.4/5. It is a very good "archival bonus track", as these things go.

I think that it it a little more interesting that the "Air Force" song, and Robin's singing in the middle is quite funny self-parody, and the harmony singing is great. It might go on a little too long, though.

davenav, Photon, Will Harris and 10 others like this.
  5. J. Frank Parnell

J. Frank Parnell Forum Resident

Completely Unoriginal

Nice that they were having fun but it's not much fun to listen to. I think the main melody could have been turned into a very good song with different lyrics. 2.5/5

Photon, Majk, Jarleboy and 4 others like this.
  6. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

3.5/5 Nice

Photon, Majk, Jarleboy and 1 other person like this.
  7. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Yes...fun stuff.
    Since they were goofing off, the length had no real world importance, or the quality or finished feel...in the same vein, I don't think Beatles' "You Know My Name, Look Up The Number" was ever intended to be released either ...just a cobbled together bunch of impromptu sketches they recorded while warming up.
    Both are just plain fun and we're happy to hear them both, however we end up getting them.

davenav, Photon, Will Harris and 5 others like this.
  8. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

COMPLETELY UNORIGINAL — One of the few Bee Gees songs, outtakes or otherwise, that actively annoy me. I totally get why they did it, I'm delighted that it's out in the world instead of in the vault, but I can never get through more than about half of it. 1/5

Photon, Majk, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.
  9. HawthorneCalifornia

HawthorneCalifornia Forum Resident

Completely Unoriginal

The Bee Gees do the Pirates Of Penzance, before Andy does.
    Seriously, like the harmony and parts of the unoriginal melody.
    They are making a joke track.
    If the Beach Boys can do one, (She's Going Bald), why not these brothers?
    I like the lightheartedness of it all.

3.5/5

davenav, Photon, Will Harris and 9 others like this.
  10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Completely Unoriginal

Even when they’re goofing around, they sound great. Without the melodramatic parts, this would be listenable.

2/5

11. prymel

prymel Forum Resident

Completely Unoriginal

This is nothing to write home about. It's as pointless as they describe it. 2/5

Photon, BeSteVenn, Majk and 4 others like this.
  12. Majk

Majk Forum Resident

Completely Unoriginal

One must try to remember that this never was meant for release, and so it isn’t wholly fair to rate it. It is pretty much just them having fun.

Having sais that, Robin’s vocals are a bit strained in the verses, and the song’s melodic ideas are nothing to write home about.

2/5

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I agree it's not fair to rate lots of this stuff, but if it is being put up for rating I am not gonna grade unworthy of bring rated stuff on a curve and act like it's better than it is. It's not like a 1 is gonna hurt the track's feelings.

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

If God had meant for the Bee Gees to be comedians, She would have given them big ears and exploding cigars. 2/5

Photon, RelayerNJ, Majk and 5 others like this.
  15. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Or conspicuous teeth... :righton: But then again, their teeth were enviable. I wish I had sets like those. Or one.

Photon, BeSteVenn, Gracchus and 3 others like this.
  16. Wezz10538

Wezz10538 Forum Resident

Mass O' Chew Setts? :p (c) Kenny Everett

Sorry! :o

Photon, NumberEight, Majk and 3 others like this.
  17. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Glad you took it that step further. Kenny actually loved the Bee Gees and their music, so his piss-take came from a good place. :agree:

18. Wezz10538

Wezz10538 Forum Resident

Yes indeed Kenny was brilliant.:laugh:

Unlike Clive Anderson who just threw insults at them disguised as "Comedy" until they'd had enough and walked out!

I never forgave him for that :mad:

19. John54

John54 Senior Member

Completely Unoriginal: It has a little more to it than the last few days' showcased tunes but it's not really worth a listen any more than they were. 2.5/5

Photon, Jarleboy, Majk and 1 other person like this.
  20. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Completely Unoriginal"
    1-3
    2-5
    3-6
    4-3
    5-0
    Average: 2.4294

21. Lance LaSalle

Today’s song is “Come Some Christmas Eve or Halloween”, written by Barry, Robin & Maurice Gibb; produced by The Bee Gees & Robert Stigwood.

Come Some Christmas Eve Or Halloween (Full Song & Lyrics) - Bee Gees - Download or Listen Free - JioSaavn
    Background:
    “Come Some Christmas Eve or Halloween” was originally recorded as a demo by Robin alone on June 13th, 1968; The Bee Gees recorded their own version of the song a week later at IBC Studios on June 20th, on the same day as they recorded “Idea.”
    Robin:
    Line Up:
    Robin Gibb: vocals, organ
    Maurice Gibb: mellotron, bass guitar (acoustic giutar?)

Sandoval doesn't credit the guitarist. I think it's almost certainly Maurice, but might be Barry.

Decades later, Robin would record another version of this song for inclusion on his My Favorite Christmas Carols album — I’m planning to hold all of the songs from that album up next Christmas-time, but figure it’s OK to put this one up now.

This version was mixed by Andrew Sandoval and released on the 2 disc reissue of Idea in 2006.

Alternate Version:

• A demo recorded by Robin was released on Saved By The Bell: The Complete Works of Robin Gibb 1968-1970 in 2015.

Photon, Jarleboy, BeSteVenn and 6 others like this.
  22. Lance LaSalle

Demo, recorded a week earlier from the above:

Photon, Jarleboy, BeSteVenn and 3 others like this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Come Some Christmas Eve or Halloween

Verse is not real gripping. Chorus is better for sure but still doesn't blow me away.
    Rating 2.4

24. Lance LaSalle

I love this. I love the lyric. I think, even though I get the sense that it's slightly unfinished, that this would have been fine on the album with a little polish and maybe an extra element, like a bridge or a connecting passage.

Still, 4/5

Photon, Jarleboy, BeSteVenn and 6 others like this.
  25. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Dreary and repetitive. Most depressing Christmas song ever? Like the demo it’s Syd like, the verses are monotone without a melody to speak of, then there’s the abrupt time change in the chorus which doesn’t work at all. Yikes.

1/5