YES Japanese reissues July

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by moops, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Discussed pretty recently, in fact. A simple search for 32XD Big Generator yields this thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=4054274

2. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Thanks so much. Don't know how I missed this one.

Just ordered a new copy. Can't wait to hear it.

Scott

3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

4. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Hi,

That was me that started that duplicate thread (sorry as I didn't see a thread on this topic was already made)

Anyway is anyone here going to buy any of these?

I'm a bit intrigued about the 2009 remastering that CD Japan lists.

Since all of these new 2009 remasters (that had bonus tracks) use the same bonus tracks as the Rhino editions from a few years ago I'm wondering about the source they will be using for this new remastering.

Will Warner Japan just use the Rhino editons and make them louder, add some compression, EQ etc? I don't think Warner Japan will even try to use any of the original master tapes.

With regards to the non Rhino released titles: 'YESSONGS' 'YESSHOWS' 'BIG GENERATOR and '9012 Live' will Waner Japan just go to their Mini LP remasters from years ago and use those as their source?

The problem is that if any of these titles turns out to sound quite good then by the time someone gets some of these and reports any positive results the CD's may be sold out.

As of today's conversion rate without shipping the cost for all 15 titles (from CD Japan) is $405.00 WOW!! and that's without shipping.

So does anyone here plan on pre-ordering any of these?

Thanks

Scott

5. Jeff Carney

I'm going to buy Yessongs and Yesshows. The rest that interest me are obviously going to be sourced from the Rhinos (same bonus tracks). No thanks.

I don't hold a lot of hope and expect them to be on eBay a few minutes after I hear them, but what the heck...

6. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

I think the only one of these I would consider is 9012Live, if it has bonus tracks. But that isn't very clear at this point since no tracks are actually listed above...I'm wondering if that's a mistake. Same with Big Generator.

7. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Let's just hope Yessongs and Yesshows are not sourced from the Japan HDCD releases and then maximized, compressed etc making them sound even worse than the HDCD releases.

I'm curious how 'Big Generator' and '9012 Live' will sound since they also came out years ago in Japan both in HDCD. Do you think Warner will just use the HDCD releases for the 2 live albums, 'Big Generator' and '9012 Live'?

Scott

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I ordered just about all of these from CD Japan. Didn't order the first two.

9. Jeff Carney

The only reason I am buying those two is the small chance that they'll use a different tape. Given that most of this stuff is obviously just being sourced from the Rhino CDs, my hope is that somehow Rhino might have tapes of Yessongs and Yesshows that they'll send over. And since those albums were never released by Rhino, there could be a small chance that those might not have been remastered.

Of course, the more likely scenario is probably like you say; that they'll use the HDCD masterings for those albums not issued by Rhino. Or even just the Gastwirt CDs for Yessongs and Yesshows.

10. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

My guess is that if Yessongs is a triple, then it's the same as HDCD.

I have the HDCD of Yessongs and that while it has some boosted treble and brickwalling it still sounds better than the old Gastwrit IMO. The original recording sounded muddy and messy, so at least the HDCD added some welcomed clarity. But i'm still waiting for a new remix.

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I believe YESSONGS will be a double CD, according to CD Japan.

12. Doctor Flang

Oh. Let's hope they don't take the Gastwrit and try to make it sound better and more modern. I generally liked the Gastwrit's Yes remasters very much but Yessongs wasn't among my favourites.

13. hatfield

hatfield Forum Resident

Anyone happen to pick one of these up? Love to hear what you think.

14. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

They're not out for another couple of days, still haven't pulled the trigger on ordering. However, the WMG Japan site does have the info on the bonus tracks for 9012live and Big Generator:

9012Live
    http://wmg.jp/artist/yes/WPCR000013528.html
    CITY OF LOVE(*Bonus Track)
    IT CAN HAPPEN(*Bonus Track)

Big Generator
    http://wmg.jp/artist/yes/WPCR000013529.html
    LOVE WILL FIND A WAY (EDITED VERSION)(*Bonus Track)
    LOVE WILL FIND A WAY (EXTENDED VERSION)(*Bonus Track)
    RHYTHM OF LOVE (DANCE TO THE RHYTHM MIX)(*Bonus Track)
    RHYTHM OF LOVE (MOVE TO THE RHYTHM MIX)(*Bonus Track)
    RHYTHM OF LOVE (THE RHYTHM OF DUB)(*Bonus Track)

15. hatfield

hatfield Forum Resident

I didn't realize the release date was pushed back. Thanks for the info Maurice!

16. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Happy to help out! I just put my order through for Yessongs and Yesshows. I just noticed that Yesshows also gains a couple of bonus tracks with this reissue campaign, so I jumped on that one.

Yesshows
    http://wmg.jp/artist/yes/WPCR000013525.html
    I'VE SEEN ALL GOOD PEOPLE(*Bonus Track)
    ROUNDABOUT(*Bonus Track)

I was never impressed by 9012live all that much and the Big Generator bonus remix tracks don't catch my eye (unless someone else reports back that they're crucial), so I'm sticking with these.

17. Masmusic

Masmusic Compact Discs Forever!

Mine are pre ordered!

18. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

It looks like that's exactly what they've done.

19. Doctor Flang

Nice!

20. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

so I am sure this ha sbeen covered before, but why would Japan release inferior versions of the catalgour sourced from vinyl? I don't see any reasoing behind this.

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Bummer about those bonus tracks on Big Generator.

"Love Will Find A Way" and "Rhythm Of Love" are the only two songs I don't like from that album.

22. waynenet

waynenet New Member

Those two songs again...!!!! Forget it!!!

23. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

any news ?
    I see they are already available on ebay...

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Got 'em yesterday and am currently playing TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS, which I think sounds better than any other version I've ever heard, except maybe the original vinyl. The detail is pretty unbelievable. Really.

These are indeed remasters unique to Japan, according to CD Japan ...

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I bought most of 'em.

New remastering ...:goodie:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.