pulling out the white album for a listen

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Very good deduction, you are correct, and also the non-EQ.

2. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I have the original CD and the stereo and mono remasters. I prefer the original, just has a better feel to it. The remastered version is nice for some of the individual songs, but for the big listening experience I have to go with the '87.

3. Q-Authority

Q-Authority Forum Resident

I felt the same way, regarding the German DMM, until I experimented a bit, and found out that the brightness was completely eliminated by switching from the 'Pure Direct' circuit on my receiver, to 'Direct', or Standard. Don't ask me why it adds the brightness the way it does, but until I resolved that issue I had been very unhappy with that album. Now it sounds great, and its unique characteristics really come through. I also found that I had the same issue with the entire Blue Box series, but switching to 'Direct' brings out all of the qualities in them that people usually rave about. Fortunately, this only seems to be an issue with a very small number of recordings. Strange, but true.

4. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I only have the 2009 mono CD and the US Apple LP. I like both but have played the LP more.

5. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Thanks for pointing that out. That was something about the White stereo remaster that was bugging me, but I couldn't put my finger on.

6. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Me too! I think it's underrated in these parts. I turn down the treble slightly and enjoy the detail and separation.

Recently, tho, it's been the mono CD just because it's so new to me.

7. HILO

HILO Senior Member

2009 mono

8. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

I forgot about that one!! Except I only know of a 28 and a 50- cylinder version.

9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

The LPs vary a lot. CDs are all ok... the old CD was remarkably good and so are the remasters in their ways. Haven't developed a firm preference yet, I've been happy with all the CDs. I wish the choice was this tough for most releases. :)

10. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Mono, usually.

11. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Mine was. I got one of the early ones that were individually numbered, and it came in two white jewel cases.

12. Not even close to what?

I would say, not even close to Steve's preferred CD version...

;)

I prefer the original CD over the remaster for this album.

13. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

14. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I prefer none .... how this got to be a "legendary album" is beyond me , such an average album , with average songs , a few really good one's with ton's of stuff i just don't like .

15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'd love to get my hands on an earlier UK pressing but the one I got was for $30 off Ebay and it's one of the best $30 LPs I own for sure. My version is stereo so I guess my next step will be a mono version. I've had pretty good luck with other Beatles UK vinyl (Pepper 70s and Rubber Soul Y&B) and I've never spent over $35. I need a good version of Abbey Road...sorry off topic.

16. mineshaftgap

mineshaftgap New Member

remaster

Every time I hear this album, I'm reminded of the fact that things you hear in the music of, say, Radiohead (especially OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac era) was already done by the Beatles on this record.

17. Robert Lan

Robert Lan Forum Resident

At home I play the first German vinyl pressing (SMO-2051~2) a lot for the stereo mix. My go-to mono pressing is the Japanese red vinyl from 1982. I have over twenty versions of the WA, and those two are the ones for me. So I chose the last option in the poll.

But now the 24-bit version from last year gets quite a lot of plays as well. It sounds great over my HD-600s on the bullet train.

I'm also quite happy with the 2009 mono and stereo CD versions, but they don't get played that often.

Best,

Robert

18. htbomb

htbomb Hot Rod

I have:
    '87 CD
    Stereo LP, MFSL Original Master Recording
    Mono LP, Japanese import, red

Go to: CD for convenience and MFSL for sound quality. Mono LP sounds great and mono mixes are refreshing but I prefer stereo (though tempted to buy new mono box set).

19. Runt

Runt Senior Member

20. Paul G

Paul G Senior Member

2009 mono remaster CD for me.

I also have:

1982 UK mono LP
    Late 1970s UK stereo LP
    Original US stereo LP, No. 2922032 (my late mother-in-law snagged this for me at a neighbor's house-cleaning)
    2009 stereo remaster CD
    1987 stereo CD

21. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I have:

Capitol cassette box
    Original U.S. vinyl
    UK Blue Box vinyl
    German DMM white vinyl
    '87 UK CD (HMV box)
    30th Anniversary CD
    '09 Stereo remaster
    '09 Mono CD (box)

...and it's not even my favorite Beatles album. No wonder my wife thinks I'm insane.

22. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Mono CD gets my vote.

23. On my iPod, I jump between the mono and stereo remasters. On CD, however, it's the stereo remaster that I listen to. The mono album would be perfect if Helter Skelter wasn't faded early.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Why wasn't THIS a choice?

25. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I own around thirty five or so different mono and stereo White Albums on vinyl and CD and several needledrops. I've been listening to my '76 and '83 Capitol copies recently, for old times sake. The '83 issue sounds pretty good. I also have been playing the mono CD a lot since 9/9/09

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.