Zeppelin on LP... what to get?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

The initials "RL," for Robert Ludwig. It's worth searching for, believe me ...

2. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I felt the same way as Jeff when I first played "Whole Lotta Love" on the VG + Led Zep II stereo WLP that I recently found (RL initialed) for $9. It sounded significantly better than my solid red label Canadian LP of II. I saw a Led Zep III stereo WLP for sale for $150 and it had the "Mastercraft PR Do What Thou Wilt" hand written in the run off area, just like on my reissue, and no RL. That LP sounds muddy in comparison to the LZ II LP.

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

Now that my turntable is set up properly, I'm back in the vinyl frame of mind. Time to resurrect this thread! :goodie:

I tracked down a copy of LZ III on eBay. I asked the seller for the deadwax and the address for Atlantic. The seller didn't give me matrix numbers, but they did reply with:

I then asked if RL was written in the deadwax. The reply:

I want to make sure this is legit... would RL appear on a Masterkraft pressing?

4. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I have one like this. (later Rockefeller but still SD 7201) Side one is the Mastercraft master. Side two isn't. It ain't RL in the grooves as an ID. it is something that looks like an R superimposed on a P. I don't like the sound of this side at all. No bass. Highs stink. And to be honest, any CD killed it. This isn't the pressing you and I are looking for friend. Oh yeah, my hacked to crap UK original STOMPS all over this. Keep on Chooglin'!

5. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Your ebay seller is fudging or is blind, because there is no 'k' in Mastercraft, and that isn't 'RL" which he writes v e r y distinctly.

Don't bid on this.

6. CardinalFang

Thanks Syd! Are you saying that a Mastercraft LP won't ever be mastered by Bob Ludwig?

7. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

No, but Mastercraft is in Memphis. If RL flew down there to work on it, sure, it is possible, but mine is just like that you described, (side one that is) with inscription and Mastercraft hand written, and the initials are most definitely not RL's.

8. CardinalFang

Ok, I bought it. I also bought an 1840 Broadway version of LZ II and IV! No RL though, but the price was right. I won't have a chance to do any listening yet, but maybe later this week.

I also got a some Yes albums with the 1840 Broadway label. Guess I'll have to find (or start) a Yes vinyl thread! :)

9. CardinalFang

Comparison time....

LZ I
    1840 Broadway label
    Side One
    ST-A-681461-A (RG initials)
    Side Two
    ST-A-681462C (GP initials)

versus the Classic vinyl.

First I listened to the 1840 Broadway. Listened to Side One and wasn't floored. Switched to Side two and immediately I noticed more high end, and more LIFE. Then I listened to the Classic, and noticed that the high end was similar on it. The low end seems to be clearer on the Classic (not necessarily MORE low end... but it could be my speakers). The classic has better separation though. On "Communication Breakdown" it was obvious that there is more bass in the right channel. On the GP Atlantic copy, it seemed more centered.

However, between side two (GP) of the 1840 version and the Classic, one has the channels reversed. So I decided to compare Side One (RG) to the Classic.

First of all, I think it's safe to say that one should avoid the RG version, even if it's an 1840 Broadway pressing. No life whatsoever. No high end and very little depth. The drum hits at the beginning of "Good Times Bad Times" seem more distorted than they really are (probably tape saturation?). Everything that should be emphasized is completely DE-emphasized. But I can confirm that the left and right channels are the same as the Classic, so it's safe to say that George Peckham (edit: I meant George Piros) had a set of wires reversed. ;)

10. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

That's a George Piros cut. ;)

Surprising as he was quite the engineer.

11. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Yes, I agree. George Peckham used 'A Porky Prime Cut' (or variations of it) on the dead wax as his signature.
    JG

12. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Yes, I agree. George Peckham used 'A Porky Prime Cut' (or variations of it, 'Pecko Duck') as his signature on the dead wax.
    JG

13. CardinalFang

Ooops, that's what I meant.

14. CardinalFang

I hope my description came across correctly... the George Piros side sounds pretty good, except that the channels are reversed. The "RG" side is awful.

My description of the comparison was weird, because I started with Side One of the Broadway LP, went to Side Two, switched to the Classic LP, then back to Side One of the Broadway.

15. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Made sense to me. I just meant the channel reversal was odd. The Classic Records Led Zeppelin I is the best I've heard. Of course, there's always the possibility a better version is out there...

The only way to find out is to buy 'em and try 'em. I hafta admit, though, the Classic Records version has made me pretty lazy in that respect. :D

16. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

Here is an earlier posting on another variation of the first LP.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=6757

Despite the reversed channels, this LP cut by GP has killer sound. It comes close to rivaling the Classic issue. It has a very warm sound. Deep bass and not quiet as much top end as Classic.

17. CardinalFang

Turns out the guy just thought GP looked like MP. :(

However, the 1841 Broadway copy that I picked up probably sounds close to the one you have:

Side One
    ST-A-712285-C AT/GP 0-1 SMT PR-SP RORKY

Side Two
    ST-A-712286-D AT/GP 0-1 PR-SP PECKO DUCK

It's interesting that yours says "PR-CK" and mine is "PR-SP." I see "PR" on tons of records, but I have no idea what it means.

I haven't heard this album in a long time. I've avoided it because classic rock radio killed it for me. Listening to it now, I can see why Bernie might add a little top end. I may have to check that version out as well.

18. CardinalFang

Anybody have a preference for a non-Classic copy of Presence?

I looked at 5 or 6 copies today, and picked up this one:

Side One
    ST-SS-763559-E PR ATLANTIC STUDIOS

Side Two
    ST-SS-763560-E AT PR ATLANTIC STUDIOS

I saw many copies with -EEE at the end, plus -F and -G. -E was the lowest version I found.

It sounds good in the EQ department, but the vinyl is a little noisey. Something tells me the Classic LP may kill this one. I don't know, it sounds good, but it doesn't kill me.

19. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Here is a little tip for everybody...

George Peckham cut Zep IV originally in England. This is good to know because I recently came across a late seventies Canadian copy of Zep IV and side two was a Peckham cut. (side one sucked - it wasn't a Porky!) Tonaly they matched up pretty well. So that means that if you want to hear a great pressing of this - you might have to search many Canadian pressings of this record to find one with a side or both with PORKY/PECKO DUCK cuttings. Kinda weird huh?

20. CardinalFang

What confuses me is that there are US versions of IV with PORKY/PECKO DUCK that ALSO have AT/GP (Atlantic/George Piros). Maybe Peckham cut it in England, sent it over and Piros added his seal of approval? Maybe Piros was instructed to write PORKY/PECKO DUCK? There could be many explanations....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.