Record Store Day 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bryan, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: Where are the 2000 Big Star LPs going?

Why couldn't they have pressed 3000 and sent 1000 to Canada, or at least 2,500 and given us 500 copies. Sheesh, they make these limited edition releases, too limited.

2. Big Star - Third LP - hyper-limited edition release for RSD - not coming to Canada

:shake: :help: :thumbsdn:

3. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Because Big Star aren't a big band. If they pressed 5000, they wouldn't sell. They would still be clogging up the shelves by RSD next year.

4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Also, I think the earlier comment on it being a licensing thing is probably accurate.

5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local..._indie_shops_from_new_york_to_london_for.html

""It's bigger than Christmas for us," says co-founder Michael Kurtz. "When we open up in the morning, most stores have people camped outside, and a lot of them don't even have turntables! But they will buy these releases because they are collectible pieces of art.

"Even if they don't love the record store, they love the idea of the record store," he adds.

I'd go to RSD if I hadn't already blown all my money on Beanie Babies and Upper Deck cards :(

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I just talked to another local indie store and they checked their RECORD STORE DAY boxes and found a total of (1) copy of the BEACH BOYS exclusive! If these stores are only getting 1 or 2 copies of these things, then all I can say is, GOOD LUCK and better yet, WHY BOTHER?

Chris C

7. surfingelectrode

Because you want the release?

8. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I love Big Star, but this is unfortunately true. Just a couple years ago I picked up a NM original copy of #1 Record at my local shop for $20 (this was before the Classic/Concord reissue). I asked the owner why he didn't put it on eBay, and he said it wasn't worth the bother because Big Star stuff is just not that in demand.

They clearly have a very loyal following, but it is small, even in comparison to other "cult" bands. Try finding a NM original copy of the V.U.'s first record for $20 anywhere. And there were fewer copies of #1 Record pressed to begin with.

If you are a big enough fan of Big Star to really feel like you need a replica test pressing of 3rd, I would advise patience. A few copies might go for silly money on eBay right after Record Store Day, but eventually one of those 3,000 LPs will find its way to you at a reasonable price. I recommend taking a Zen stance.

9. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

One of the local shops here doing RSD has been telling everyone "We're getting most of the titles on the official list" but they won't say anything specific, in an effort to ward off the eBay folks. Interesting tack. I hope it works for them!

10. What do you mean licensing? Anytime I want in Canada I could buy, when they were still available, the Classics Records heavy-weight LP editions of #1 and Radio City. I have the Clarity clear vinyl issues in my collection, purchased new in Calgary over the past 2 years. I also have access to the regular weight Big Star LP reissues and as well as the variation of the third album that's been available for a few years.

11. surfingelectrode

Those were all done by different companies.

12. RDK

RDK Active Member

Er, "Welcome to 1995"

-or-

"Tell that to the guy with 200 different versions of Pet Sounds"

13. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

And that has nothing to do with the licensing of this particular run of Third. I've been to concerts in the states and the the same band the next night in Canada and they have totally different merchandise for sale because of licensing.

This seems to me to pretty clearly be a case of licensing. I was actually somewhat surprised this was coming out at all considering the checkered history of this album.

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Exactly.

15. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

16. Re: Big Star - Third - LP

Good point. Maybe it isn't available here. Thanks.

17. surfingelectrode

RSD found out that a store in Ohio was selling stuff on eBay, so they got the auctions pulled and publicly posted the name of the store on Facebook... Time Traveler CDs.

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Ooohh! I've been to that store, though it's been years.

19. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

20. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

21. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

How is the tiny fraction of a percentage point of stuff that makes it onto Ebay any indication of anything.

22. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Apparently from one of the reviews I read this place also sells bootlegs.

23. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

24. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

go on eBay-you'll be shocked how many 2011 RSD things are already on sale at a handsome markup.

25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr. Thread Starter

GOOD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.