Kinks Deluxe editions available for pre-order (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KinksFan1992

KinksFan1992 Forum Resident

The Arthur previews are also available if you view the MP3 section.

2. KinksFan1992

No, I think I was right.

There seems to be a third version of 'Mr. Reporter'.

The mix is slightly different perhaps? But the other Dave version was 3:58, while the new one is 3:36.

3. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The Mono mix of Arthur sounds like an improvement over the 2001 Mini LP

Hold My Hand (Mono Version) - Sounds better than the 1987 Album That Never Was
    Hold My Hand (Stereo Version) - Great mix!
    Lincoln County (Stereo Version) - Cool to hear this in stereo, it's the 3:22 unedited version too!
    Mr Reporter - Stereo mix from the DD album, not the mix from the 1998 Arthur bonus track (As noted above by Seanie)
    Shangri La (Backing Track) - Stereo, sounds great

Correct, I believe the version on the 1998 Arthur was a remix, and the version on the Deluxe is the original 1969 stereo mix for the DD album master. The 1998 version has lots of reverb on the vocals and the 1969 mix is quite dry.

It's a shame these Amazon samples sound so bad, you can't tell anything of the sound quality.

4. KinksFan1992

Ah, Kinks reissues! It seems that one version can rarely replace another.

We still need to keep:

Love Me Till the Sun Shines (BBC Sessions version)
    There's No Life Without Love
    Mr. Reporter (90s Dave mix/edit)

Anything else?

(Also should be noted that the BBC Mindless Child of Motherhood is not included, so there's still a lot of the BBC session tracks not available on the deluxe albums).

5. Laservampire

Dedicated Follower Of Fashion (Stereo Alternate Take)
    From 1998 Kontroversy remaster/Picture Book Box

Tin Soldier Man (Alternate Mix)
    Situation Vacant (Alternate Mix)

From all stereo CDs of "Something Else" prior to the Deluxe, except for the Reprise CD

There Is No Life Without Love (Mono)
    Various CDs, all mono

Mr. Reporter (Alternate Stereo Mix)
    From 1998 Arthur Remaster

BBC Sessions is essential either way, as the versions of "You Really Got Me", "All Day And All Of The Night" & "Love Me Till The Sun Shines" are different versions to the Deluxes, as well as "See My Friends" and various other tracks not being included on the Deluxes.

6. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

Apparently, only if you enter the site from the country where it is based ...

Anyway, amazon France has the mp3 from Arthur with 21 tracks per disc, so at last we have proof that the original tracklisting hasn't been shortened. Great news!

7. maclean

maclean Forum Resident

What I meant with the previous post is that you can only BUY the tracks if you enter the site from the country where it is based.

AND

Amazon France shows Arthur with 21 tracks per disc (with samples; no need to go to the mp3 section), so at last we have proof that the original tracklisting hasn't been shortened. Great news!

8. KinksFan1992

No signs of Amazon dispatching today yet.

The last batch of deluxe editions were dispatched on Friday, so I received them on Monday (the release date).

If they don't send today, I won't have them on Monday and won't be able to listen for a few days (away from home).

I know it's not the end of the world, but what's the point in pre-ordering if it doesn't arrive on the release date? Fingers crossed it will happen soon.

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Did you pay for shipping?

I find if you do the free shipping option they usually dispatch them on the monday.

10. KinksFan1992

I never pay for shipping on Amazon.

But they have still dispatched goods before the release date in the past (giving me more reason not to pay for shipping!).

11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

My order says dispatching soon.

Unfortunately they are coming from Jersey in three different orders it seems (for VAT reasons) and they normally just use a jiffi so I am expecting crushed spines.

12. KinksFan1992

I've changed it to First Class to see what happens.

If it doesn't dispatch by the end of the day, I can always change it back (unless it's 'dispatching soon').

13. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

You should have said "If it doesn't dispatch till the end of the day, till the end of the day, till the end of the day..."

My Amazon UK order says:
    Dispatch Estimate: 19 Jun 2011 - 20 Jun 2011
    Delivery Estimate: 26 Jun 2011 - 1 July 2011

I'll just have to wait. So tired, tired of waiting...

I just felt like being silly.

14. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

They're on the shelves here in Ireland today as all new releases are but at an eye watering €20. I'll wait for Amazon and save a few bucks. Nice vintage look to the Artwork.

15. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

For those of us in the USA ordering from amazon.uk (without VAT reasons), do they also get shipped in "jiffis" ... and should we expect crushed spines, too?

I'm hoping that if I ordered 3 sets, that it justifies a "box".

16. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Just order all 3 for £9.22 along with Kate Bush's The Dreaming for £5.83.
    With shipping £39.54 I think that works out to $63.93. Or a little over $9 per disc (being 7 in all). Not bad.

17. Laservampire

In my experience it justifies a "flimsy cardboard mailer". Expect crushed spines.

I'd rather have them for $14 each with crushed spines than wait forever to find them locally at $35+ a pop.

18. KinksFan1992

Haha! :D

I have a feeling Amazon aren't going to dispatch the albums even though I've switched to First Class.

I'll give it a few more hours. How late do they dispatch on Fridays, I wonder?

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

JFI, Amazon, along with many internet traders (HMV) take advantage of a UK tax loophole. Most Amazon UK stuff is actually shipped from Jersey. Jersey, for VAT reasons, is not classed as being in the EU. They do this so they don't have to pay VAT (it annoys Customs no end but as long as the order is under £18 there is nothing they can do about it).

So, to cut a long story short, I have ordered all three Kinks discs but Amazon in Jersey will send them seperatley so they don't have to pay VAT.

So they do this when shipping to the UK. I don't know how they will ship to the US as the VAT loophole is not an issue. So you may get them in a better package.

It's not ideal (I got the Suede ones this week with damaged spines) but I am getting them for 2/3 of the price I would pay in a shop so it's a compromise.

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Just got an email from Amazon...all three have shipped!

21. KinksFan1992

Maybe I switched to First Class too late.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

22. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

I wasn't ready to believe this until I heard it with my own ears. Beautiful. No more of those threads where someone asks about the definitive CD version of Something Else, and someone else has to say, "Well first off — wait, are you sitting comfortably? Right, so it's like this ...."

Yep, though you're going to wind up with a drastically shortened edit of the "Situation Vacant" remix unless you go with the Victor Japan "K2" Something Else or else The EP Collection on the See for Miles label. And if you want the "Tin Soldier Man" remix without part of the intro cut off, you need the "K2" Something Else, the Sanctuary 2001 Something Else with the Japanese cover art, or Castle's The Kinks Collection.

I'm in love with the alternate "Afternoon Tea."

23. KinksFan1992

Are those tracks with bits chopped off actually remixes?

If so, when were they remixed?

I thought they were 1980s German reissue edits.

And does the mono mix of Tin Soldier Man have the first two notes intact. AFAIK, this has never been the case.

24. KinksFan1992

Judging by the duration of the track, it doesn't have the first two notes intact.

25. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Okay, this gets complicated. And most of this information is missing from the published and online discographies.

"Tin Soldier Man" (original stereo mix): Drums start out left. Backing vocals at 1:20 mixed centre. Panning effect on brass at end of song. First two notes of the song (corresponding to "he's a" in "he's a tin soldier man") are included.

"Tin Soldier Man" (stereo remix): Drums are centre throughout. Backing vocals at 1:20 mixed right. No panning on brass. First two notes are included.

"Tin Soldier Man" (stereo remix, short edit): Ditto, except that the first note and a half are truncated.

"Situation Vacant" (original stereo mix): Organ is initially mixed right. Wailing vocal overdubs near end of song. False ending leading into coda with louder wailing voices at 2:45. Total length about 3:10.

"Situation Vacant" (stereo remix): Organ sometimes mixed left and right simultaneously, e.g., at 0:27. No wailing overdubs. False ending leading into coda at 2:45; unlike the original stereo coda, this coda is an unmodified reprise of the song's ending. Total length about 3:18.

"Situation Vacant" (stereo remix, short edit): Ditto, except that the coda is completely gone and the song ends at about 2:45.

Until now the only place to find the original stereo mixes on CD was the Reprise Something Else.

Doug Hinman's You Really Got Me book says the remixes were done in late '67. I don't know when they were first released, but they were on German and Spanish vinyl reissues of Something Else in the '70s and early '80s.

As far as I know, the shorter edits of the remixes first appeared on the PRT CD for Something Else and were reused for the Castle CD from 1989 (CLACD 159). The 2001 Sanctuary Something Else with the Japanese cover art used the full edit of the "Tin Soldier Man" remix but kept the shortened "Situation Vacant." If you want the full-length stereo remixes of both tracks on a single disc then you have to go with the Victor Japan "K2" Something Else, or else vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.