Kinks Deluxe editions available for pre-order (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

"Till death us do part" is the usual wedding-vow phrasing from the Book of Common Prayer, etc. It's traditional.

2. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

I agree that the 10in version sounds very different from the GLKA version, it sounds very much distant, almost as if its being played in the next room. However I've never seen any evidence that its a different mix rather than a very different source/mastering.

Anyone else any comments on this?

3. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

American members will certainly know the US remake, 'All In The Family'

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Since we've got 'Face To Face' in Stereo, why not 'I'm Not Like Everybody Else' in stereo too, since it was recorded during those sessions?!!!

5. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Not all of Face to Face is in stereo - only about half, including the new stereo mixes done by Andrew. there's still missing multitracks.

6. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Super Duper Deluxe Tracks - Update 4

A list of studio songs, alternate versions and alternate mixes up the end of 1969 that are missing from the Deluxe Editions.

Thanks to Laservampire for the original list, all other contributors for their comments, Dave Emlen's discography for official releases and this discography for unofficial releases. Any comments/corrections very welcome. I'll update this post occasionally and keep it easily findable by searching for "Super Duper".

Changed in this update. Some tidying up, add Sand on My Shoe, Little Women and footnote on VGPS 12 track mixes.

KINKS

Oobadiaboo (Missing Song)1963 Demo. Available on boots including Secret Sessions and Rare Anthology Two.
    Revenge (Demo) Officially released on 1992 Out Of This World: Instrumental Diamonds vol. 3 CD. Available on boots including Neue Revue, Secret Sessions and Rare Anthology.
    Interview 1/You Really Got Me(BBC 1964-10-30) / Interview 2 / All Day And All Of The Night(BBC 1964-10-30) From BBC Sessions official release.
    An "alternate take" of Bald Headed Woman found on boots appears to be the same as the official version. The alternate take of Too Much Monkey Business that appears on the 98/04 remaster appears to be the same as the Deluxe Edition version, despite the claim in the liner notes that the Deluxe version is previously unreleased.

KINDA KINKS

Come On Now (Takes 2-4) from Picture Book box set. Incomplete takes 2&3 not on Deluxe. Take 4 is the previously issued version.
    Tell Me Now So I'll Know (Alternate Demo) Ray Davies' publishing demo, recorded 24 May, Deluxe demo recorded next day. Available on boots including Neue Revue, Secret Sessions and Rare Anthology.

THE KINK KONTROVERSY

She's My Girl (Missing Song) 1965 Dave Davies track from poor quality acetate found on boots Secret Sessions and Rare Anthology Two.
    Listen To Me (Missing Song) 1965/6 Kinks track from poor quality acetate found on boots including Secret Sessions and Rare Anthology Two.
    Dedicated Follower Of Fashion (Stereo Alternate Take) From 98/04 Kontroversy and Picture Book boxset
    See My Friends(BBC 1965-08-06) From BBC Sessions official release.
    Got My Feet On The Ground (BBC 1965-08-10) from Songs We Sang For Auntie and Good Luck Charm boots
    Milk Cow Blues(BBC 1965-08-10) Full length version (3:41) from Songs We Sang For Auntie boot. Deluxe and BBC Sessions versions fade at 2:40.
    I Am Free (BBC 1965-12-13)BBC track from boots including SWSFA, Secret Sessions and Rare Anthology Two.

FACE TO FACE

Sunny Afternoon (Alternative Stereo Mix) Early stereo mix from Rare Anthology Two boot.

SOMETHING ELSE

Tin Soldier Man (Alternate Stereo Mix) / Situation Vacant (Alternate Stereo Mix) On all stereo "Something Else" CDs except the Reprise. Full intro of Tin Soldier Man (Alternate Stereo Mix) only intact on K2 Mini-LP and 2001 Sanctuary Mini-LP. Full outro of Situation Vacant (Alternate Stereo Mix) only intact on K2 Mini-LP and See For Miles "EP Collection"
    Lazy Old Sun (Stereo Alternate Take) From 98/04 "Something Else" remaster. Features alternate vocal mixed over mono mix, whereas the Deluxe has a full stereo remix featuring only the alternate vocal.
    Good Luck Charm (1967 studio version) From "Picture Book" boxset, a lossy sourced transfer of a studio acetate
    Little Women (Alternative Mix) The version on the 98/04 Face To Face has a less prominent mellotron.
    Sand On My Shoe (Bootleg Mix) from Neue Revue, lower vocals and guitar than the first officially released 2009 mix on the Deluxe Edition.
    Interview with Dave(BBC 1967-08-04)/Interview With Ray(BBC 1967-08-04) BBC Sessions. Unfortunately tacked onto the end of tracks 13/14.

VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY

When I Turn Off The Living Room Light (Missing Song) From 1973 Great Lost Kinks Album and BBC Sessions CD.
    Pictures In The Sand / Till Death Us Do Part (Mono) (Missing Songs) From Great Lost Kinks Album, available on Neue Revue bootleg.
    Darling I Respect You (Missing Song) Exists only as a very poor off air recording from TV show "Where Was Spring". Available on Trip through the 70s boot.
    Did You See His Name?(Stereo Mix) From BBC Sessions and The Kink Kronikles.
    Spotty Grotty Anna (Mono Mix) / Misty Water (1983 Stereo Remix) /Pictures In The Sand (Instrumental 1983 Stereo Remix)/ Groovy Movies (1983 Stereo Remix) From 1983 "Dead End Street" 10" Bonus EP (which was quickly withdrawn)
    Days(BBC 1968-07-01) / Waterloo Sunset(BBC 1968-07-01) / Love Me Till The Sun Shines(BBC 1968-07-01) / Monica (BBC 1968/07-09) / The Village Green Preservation Society(BBC 1968/11/26) From BBC Sessions official CD.
    Animal Farm (BBC 1968/11/26) New vocals and bass. From Secret Sessions boot.
    Till Death Us Do Part (Stereo) Backing track by the Kinks, vocals by Chas Mills. Till Death Us Do Part 1969 soundtrack.
    Kinks authority Doug Hinman says that alternate stereo mixes of Starstruck and Wicked Annabella appeared on the 12 track version of VGPS and these were listed as such on the 98 remaster. Andrew Sandoval on this forum explained their omission from the Deluxe Edition by saying these mixes were in fact the same as those on the 15 track album.

ARTHUR

There Is No Life Without Love (Mono mix) (Missing Song) Dave Davies B side. From Great Lost Kinks Album, 98/04 "Something Else", as well as PRT Dave Davies "Album That Never Was" and 1998 Castle "Unfinished Business" compilation (UK version).An unissued stereo mix exists, but is not in circulation.
    Climb Your Wall (Missing Song) Dave Davies 1969/70 outake from "Unfinished Business" compilation (UK &US versions) (May appear on Lola)
    Do You Wish To Be A Man / I'm Crying /Are You Ready Girl? (Missing Songs) Tracks from unreleased Dave Davies album. Found in reasonable quality on Rare Anthology Two boot, poor quality on many other boots.
    Mr. Reporter (Alternate Stereo Mix) From 98/04 "Face To Face". Deluxe version is remixed.
    She's Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina (Alternate Mono Mix) From 98/04 "Arthur".
    Hold My Hand (Alternative stereo version) A shorter (3:00) mellotron free demo from the very obscure 1969 Dutch record club compilation Star Parade circulates among fans and may be found in poor quality on Rare Anthology Two boot. Deluxe booklet claim that the version with mellotron found there is the Star Parade version is disputed here.
    Plastic Man (BBC 1969/04/12) New vocals. From Secret Sessions boot.
    The version of Mr. Shoemaker's Daughter that appears on the 98/04 remaster appears to be the same as the Deluxe Edition version, despite the claim in the liner notes that the Deluxe Version is a 2009 remix.

OMISSIONS FROM THIS LIST

Omitted from this list on the basis that none of these appear on the Deluxe Editions are:
    - Simulated stereo mixes. Many of the early mono singles, Kinda Kinks and Kontroversy tracks and even some later tracks that have a true stereo mix have been available as simulated stereo mixes, see Dave Emlen's discography for details.
    - Edits/medleys, again see Dave Emlen's discography for details.
    - Live tracks (TV or concert)

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

Indeed "Till death us do part" is certainly the standard phrase in UK English. Even if its somewhat archaic, it remains in the modern Church of England wedding vows whereas "plighting my troth" has gone.

8. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

By the way, that long-haired scouse git in the chair is ex British PM Tony Blair's father in law.

9. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

...and he was often called a "randy scouse git" by his father in law, Alf Garnett. Mickey Dolenz was a fan of the show ;)

10. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I think my Pye-era Kinks CD Kollection is finally komplete... (minus the forthcoming deluxe editions)

1985 UK PRT Greatest Hits (Ugly Pink)
    1988 UK PRT Hit Singles
    1988 UK Well Respected Men
    1988 West German PRT albums (10)
    1988 West German PRT Dave Davies "Album That Never Was"
    1998 Castle Remasters (10)
    2000 Japanese K2 "Face To Face"
    2000 Japanese K2 "Something Else"
    2000 Neue Revue "Great Lost" boot (silver CD)
    2001 Sactuary BBC Sessions 10-track promo CD
    2001 Sactuary BBC Sessions
    2004 Sanctuary version of "Arthur" remaster
    2004 Deluxe "Village Green"
    2008 Picture Book Boxset
    2011 Deluxe editions (6)

Holy crap :eek:

11. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

You said it ! thats one big Kink collection! :)

12. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

Listening to "Something Else" mono disc right now.
    Sounds mighty fine and mastering is very good, not loud at all.
    I haven't listened to other deluxe editions, except VGPS.
    "Situation Vacant" & "Love Me Till The Sun Shines" really kick that *** in mono!!!
    Kudos to Mr. Sandoval!
    If only "Village Greene..." deluxe was mastered like that...

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I have no problems with the VG deluxe. Many say it's too loud, but it's on parr with these deluxes IMO. I do like some of the 'kick' that I hear from these deluxes, especially heard on Something Else and Kinda Kinks.

14. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

The VG Deluxe is OK, but I prefer my Castle CD for the stereo album. However, the Deluxe smokes the 1998 mono release.

15. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

I like the Deluxe VGPS, gives it some oomph that actually helps it, in my opinion. I believe the original Castle is the one disc in that series that is identical to the original PRT release.

And yes, the '98 Castle Essential is not very good, much like the rest of that series up until Lola.

16. Laservampire

That's not counting the Pye album box, Kronikles, reprise Something Else, See For Miles Ep collection and a couple of other crappy euro PRT comps...

17. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

The entire Something Else package blew me away - the best deluxe so far. Completely different alternate versions of Harry Rag, David Watts, Afternoon Tea, Mr. Pleasant, never booted - this to me is like discovering new alternate versions with vocals of Paperback Writer and Eleanor Rigby - only better! I think I know why this album was the start of the commercial decline (but artistic peak) of the Kinks - released three months after Sgt. Pepper, Something Else must have seemed dated, even though now that evaluation would have to be reversed.

And dig Mick Avory's drumming on Lazy Old Sun - this is his "Rain." Great!

18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

He keeps pretty busy with the tom fills in "Wicked Annabella" too.

19. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

You're lucky you don't have expensive tastes in Kinks vinyl - a mono version of Arthur just sold for GBP506 on Ebay:eek:

20. Laservampire

I love his fills in "Big Sky" :love:

Holy crap thank god I'm a digital only guy! My Kinks vinyl collection consists of a late 60's Pye "Golden Guinea" reissue of the debut LP and a minty UK Apeman/Rats 45 (which I have yet to needledrop)

21. zen

zen Senior Member

I am overwhelmed with joy. I've been diggin' all the Kinks deluxe editions (from the debut to Arthur).

Favorite moment (if there can be such a thing with this project): The BBC version of "Everybody's Gonna Be Happy" w/o claps.

22. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Great collection. Hey, question for you....the 45 of Apeman / Rats have different mixes from the LP, correct? Is that only for the UK 45 or is it also true for the US 45?

cheers.

23. Laservampire

Yup, dedicated mono mixes. From what Russell Smith has said, the tape for the mono Apeman is lost, but Rats is still in the archive.

The US single on reprise had the 'foggin up my eyes' line re-recorded, and is in mono.

Apparently the mono Apeman has been on CD three times (hopefully Matthew B can chime in, he knows which ones) and the only one that I've heard (and own) is a crummy needledrop.

24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I'm not Laservampire but I can answer this. Yes, the US single is different from the LP mix with vocals mixed higher and "fogging" dubbed in.
    The Canadian single mix is similar, only the "fogging" dub is really poorly done.

25. Laservampire

I would hate to think just how many Apeman variations are out there, with all the mono/stereo/alternate/demo/edits there are!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.