"The Beatles - The Capitol Albums Vol 1" review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My cube has the discs with the logo at 9 o'clock. Why? They could have duplicated the original record label. They didn't even get the legalese even on the outer edge.

I just went to several stores. Neither Best Buy I went to had any copies of it, not even a trace! Borders didn't have any, and an inde store had exactly one longbox. It's almost as if the box didn't exist!

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Bring all the rest of the catalog on.:agree:

I don't know if the Stevehoffman.tv server could handle all the whining, moaning, bitching, complaining, poxing, negative threads... :laugh:

3. Grant

Now you can understand what we fans of mono hear. :goodie: It's not about seperation, it's the overall impact we hear. And, trust me, most mono sounds better that this!

But the mono tracks kick butt on that disc, huh? :thumbsup: ...well, maybe not "She's A Woman"... :laugh:

4. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I think I was more curious as to WHY. It would seem that there wouldn't be a rights problem since Capitol owns the rights to both of those lps.

You are indeed correct about the set! It sure as hell IS a lot of fun!!!!

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The long-box was supposedly a "Limited Edition" package.:)

6. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I did a little more listening. I can understand Bob's comment about the midrange, as the "breath of life" midrange "magic" isn't really there. I have to question if it would even be possible to have that quality with these tapes. There's only so much "goodness" that can be squeaked out of these tapes. A few weeks ago, I listened to a late 60's stereo LP of Beatles VI. Why I decided to pull it out, I don't know but I did. It was nasty sounding! I get the impression that it takes quite a bit of skillful engineering to get these tapes to sound even reasonably good (how could it not, knowing what we do about these tapes?) but like I basically said earlier, (for what they are) these turned out "pretty darn good"! :)

7. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Circuit City had it in the cube form, Best Buy in longbox.

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Chip is the co-author of "8 Arms To Hold You: The Solo Beatles Compendium," and he posts here from time to time.

9. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The Wal-Mart I went to this evening had the longbox. They also had it for $44.99 to match "their advertised price" (i.e. Target and Best Buy).

Obsessive collector that I can be, I bought both versions...

The longbox version has the catalog number CDP 7243 8 66878 2 1.
    The cube version has the catalog number CDP 7243 8 75656 2 3.

The packaging inside both versions is identical. The CDs have the same design and the same numbers. Even the 75656 (cube) version has the "66878" numbers on its inserts and discs.

By the way, Capitol has included separate numbers for every disc in a multi-disc set for many years, since it started numbering things in the 46000s in at least 1986. Check your copies of the original White Album on CD. The set has a number; each disc also has a number. The same is true with the BBC, Anthology, Red and Blue CDs, plus the vinyl versions as well (the third record in the Anthology LPs has a number quite apart from the other two). The same is true for all other Capitol-related multi-disc sets since the CD era started.

10. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

They are shown that way in the back pages of the booklet also.

11. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

I've had a great time tonight listening to all 4 Capitol CD's ! I'm sure someone can answer a question for me. When I played the mono version of "And I Love Her", I noticed that the lead vocal was not double tracked as it is in the UK version on the "Hard Day's Night" CD. I wasn't aware that Capitol actually "remixed" any of the Beatles recordings, allthough I could be wrong. Was this remixed by Capitol, or, was there another version of this recording sent to Capitol, for example, a mix for the United Artists film or soundtrack album. ......Curious.

12. Thanks for posting the prices Cliff. a&b sound matched the $59.99 price for me today. They are selling the box set for $64.99. And remember, fellow Canadians, EMI Canada imported these box sets from Capitol U.S. That is why the price is a bit high. a&b sound had only long boxes.
    I just checked the Beatles '65 disc on a boombox here at work. It's playing the correct album. The only issue with the copy of Beatles '65 in the box I purchased is that the 9 o'clock Capitol logo and the Apple logo at 6 o'clock, are both crooked.

13. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

The mono versions of "And I Love Her" and "I'll Cry Instead" are the same as the United Artists soundtrack album.

14. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

If they're not the same as the Parlophone...then where did the UA tracks come from?

15. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Thanks Terry. :)

16. britt2001b

britt2001b Senior Member

Now I'm really getting curious !

17. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Looks like the allmusic.com reviewer might have been reading this thread!

18. JWB

JWB New Member

Abbey Road sent the US a different, earlier mix. It was used by United Artists, and Capitol on both the LP and single.

19. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

20. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Sure is interesting how those catalog numbers are so different. I'm sure glad I didn't go to Best Buy during lunch today, and instead went to Target after work, since I may have gotten stuck with that long box. Had no idea there was a 2nd package type. A benefit of the cube box is you can leave the shrink wrap on it and just slice the shrink wrap off on the one end with a razor blade and the insides will slide out. That will keep it looking nice.

21. Exactly what I did, UBSMan! That way I can protect the box and keep the all-important stickers on the shrinkwrap -- I save everything. :)

My local Target (which just opened a couple of weeks ago) had a "New Releases" display with eight of the "cube" boxes, and it looked basically untouched -- must have been a secret around here -- although maybe they kept restocking to keep the bin full (but the Neil Young seemed to be moving). I checked a couple of Capitol boxes to make sure there were no cuts or dings, paid my $45.00 and change, and settled in at home for a good, long night of listening.

These do sound remarkable, just like my original vinyl (well, better actually), and without all the problems associated with 40 year old well-loved records. I'm very pleased with the set.

Bring on Vol. 2, I say!!! :righton:

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Interestingly it was single-tracked on the actual movie too, although it was also a semitone too slow.

23. Grant

Just so you all know, NOTHING was remixed by Capitol! They did not have any multitracks.

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Ok, so I got the European version of the longbox. Catalognumber on the longbox itself is 07243 875348 2 7.

The foldable (sp?) box that slides out has the catalognumber 07243 875400 2 6

The booklet has the catalognumber 07243 875400 2 6

Meet The Beatles!
    On the mini-LP sleeve: 07243 875400 2 6 (07243 875384 2 9)
    On the CD label side: 07243 875348 2 7 (07243 875344 2 1)
    On the play side: MEDIAMOTION 8753442 @ 1 and 010101-NL
    The Beatles' Second Album
    On the mini-LP sleeve: 07243 875400 2 6 (07243 875397 2 3)
    On the CD: 07243 875348 2 7 (07243 875345 2 0)
    On the play side: MEDIAMOTION 8753452 @ 2 and 010110-NL
    Something New
    On the mini-LP sleeve: 07243 875400 2 6 (07243 875385 2 8)
    On the CD: 07243 875348 2 7 (07243 875346 2 9)
    On the play side: MEDIAMOTION 8753462 @ 1 and 010108-NL
    Beatles '65
    On the mini-LP sleeve: 07243 875400 2 6 (07243 875383 2 0)
    On the CD: 07243 875348 2 7 (07243 875347 2 8)
    On the play side: MEDIAMOTION 8753472 @ 1 and 010109-NL

Very strange???

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Honestly, I don't know what the hype is about. The only good thing about this set is having SOME of the stereo mixes from A Hard Day's Night and Beatles for Sale - but it only makes me more annoyed that the original British albums are not on CD in stereo. You can tell that the stereo mixes on here are second or third generation copies. And my God, the Duophonic stereo version of I Feel Fine is the worst sounding record of all time. The mono versions of the tracks barely sound any better than the British album CDs to me, and the 2-track stereo mixes are just annoying.

And I still think the American albums suck. They're too short and (apart from Meet the Beatles) it feels like every other song is a mediocre cover tune. As the song says, I should have known better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.