"The Beatles - The Capitol Albums Vol 1" review

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mal, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

Those wacky Duophony tracks "You Can't Do That," "I Feel Fine" and "She's A Woman?" I hate those f**kers!

(Though I don't care much for the true stereo mixes of those three songs, either. I'd take original first-pressing mono UK Parlophone 45s of those songs every time!)

With my statement about horrifically done Duophonic mixes aside, I'd say that most of the tracks on those four C(r)apitol Beatles LPs sound pretty close to the UK pressings. (Though obviously, the Capitol versions sound a bit worse due to additional generations of redubbing.)

2. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

They will be eventually, but who would buy this set if they released the upgraded UK versions first!

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

This century do you think?

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...Me. :goodie: :righton:

5. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

:D Of course you guys I'm loving this!!! :goodie: :goodie: :goodie: :thumbsup:

Also, to somewhat qoute the "KOZ"

VOL 2 BRING IT, BABE!! Know what I'm saying NOW!! :agree: :agree: :agree: :wave:

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

And Capitol Canada, could you please bring on "Twist and Shout", "Beatlemania! With the Beatles" & "Long Tall Sally"?! :cool:

7. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

You know what Michael. I was actually thinking of adding the words "except Michael" to the end of my post when I first posted! :p

8. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I am so happy with this set it almost makes me miss the old Duophonic tracks from a lot of the old Capitol records..lol

So who is up for a BEST OF THE DUOPHONIC ARTIST"? Just think of the great destroyed tracks that we grew up with...such wonderful artist as The Beatles, Beach Boys, Glen Campbell, Frank Morino, Dean Martin etc etc etc...

And do not forget to lay on the4 echo LOUD and THICK!:)

9. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

On the packaging - I was expecting more from a company like Capitol. If a cheap amatuer hack can do something like these why can't a multi-million dollar corporation make some decent copies of both the LP covers and the labeling?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This pretty much sums up my impressions of the discs. I will say again that these are HOT. I had to turn my volume down at least two knocks to listen. Also, these cds are much better than the 80's discs.

Hearing the american versions again brought back memories.

It is nice to have these new discs.
    :cool:

11. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Doesn't most of the "heat" come from the original compression applied by Capitol? I don't think Jensen added more, did he?

12. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I don't think Jensen did. The original Capitol LP's were recorded hot to begin with. No need for him to add more. That's why I'm not at all surprised that the CD's are hot, I expected it.

13. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Well, ummm, apart from that, what did you think of the set?
    :angel:

14. Jacob Bailis

Jacob Bailis New Member

After years of Yellow Submarine Songtracks and Let It Be...Nakeds finally something that isn't even trying not to be crass. The packaging looks like one of those Do You Remember The 60's? box sets that they sell at Hallmark, which of course is what this is. It's as if The Beatles never became cultural icons and Capitol is finally getting around to putting their albums on CD, without putting too much time or money into it. For the few people who still remember them. Or maybe it just feels that way because I'm one of those people, and this set was made for me. As for artistic integrity and all that, not only do I prefer Meet The Beatles, The Beatles Second Album, Something New, and Beatles 65 (especially the Stereo/Duophonic versions) to Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, and Beatles For Sale (and everything else, except for the other American Beatles albums), I only like those to the extent that they remind me of these. When my definitions of "safe" and "well" were being formed, these albums were pretty much all I listened to. So that's how I feel when I listen to them now. I know I can't be objective about these albums anymore than someone can be objective about their family or their childhood friends. And why would I try? 90% of what's posted here is opinions anyway. Well, my opinion is that these are the greatest CD's ever. You want facts: This is 8 of the best selling, most influential albums, digitally remastered by Ted Jensen for about $6.00 each.

15. Stateless

Stateless New Member

The packaging seems even more sad especially after seeing those scans (which I'm assuming were boots :shh: ) that White Wolf posted. Yes it's about the music but this packaging is pretty shoddy. I just put down my cube to put in a disc and the SECOND album just fell out of the box on to the floor...and this is someone who is trying to be careful. :shake: I think the Capitol labels on the discs are cool but the covers look like they scanned somebody's album that they dug out of a closet that was sitting there for 30 years...actually I think they did. :p At least they took care with the mastering.

16. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Do you think Apple designed the packaging and is trying to tell us all something about what it thinks of Capitol albums?

17. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Who knows?! At the end of the day, the packaging serves its purpose...and like has been said, it does have that "do you remember the '60s?" feel to it.

When I got my set and unwrapped the longbox, I noticed the CDs were pointing outwards from the inner box (i.e. the side of the sleeves where the discs come out). Had a couple of hairy moments when the CDs nearly fell out. I've since re-arranged mine so that the spines are showing when you take out and/or fold the inner box into the cube shape and I haven't had a problem since.

Overall, I really dont' think we should be complaining too much with this set.

Even our host has stated on a thread which he started that he's been enjoying listening to these CDs!

And that's what it's all about isn't it? Enjoyment! I grew up with the British LPs in the 1970s but I've always been fond of these US LPs...I started buying them on import in the early 80s...in fact, a cover of the "Meet The Beatles" LP is being framed for my home office wall as we speak. The picture taken by Robert Freeman is my fave LP cover of all time but I just love the Capitol marketing blurb on the cover of MTB: "The First Album By England's Phenomenal Pop Combo!". It was right for the time and for the context...bear in mind, this was of course the first time a British pop artist was making any impact in the US.

As Bruce Spizer has said, Capitol MARKETED the Beatles in a way which was appropriate for the US market of the early 60s. Times have changed and thank God at least we have - for the first time ever on CD - a Beatles release that acknowledges history in a realistic and authentic manner. We've had too much revisionism in recent years IMO!

As much as I love the UK LPs, the US LPs have always been fun...I just wish the naysayers and cynics would shut up, these are important and historical releases. I can see why you Americans love these LPs so much :)

I've no doubt we will get the dogs doo-dahs in terms of content and packaging when the remastered UK discs do come...let's just hope the remastering is done tastefully, like it has been done here.

18. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yeah, I don't care if they come in a brown paper bag as long as the masteringis done well. These CD's sound better than they should and that's a remark on Ted Jensen. As they say in the south, "He done good."

19. Jacob Bailis

Jacob Bailis New Member

Hey. CD Universe is advertising The Capitol Years Vol. 2. It says that it will contain five discs, the second five US Albums. :love: It says it will be released on November 17th, 2005. Does anyone know anything about this?

20. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I agree...although there are a few that don't on some of the other threads related to this box set - namely the thread Steve himself started and, I hasten to add, whereby he states that he is enjoying listening to these CDs!!!

Considering the source material Mr Jensen had to work with, you're right he done good. I've said it before but I'll say it again...I am very pleased with this release.

There has been mention of a loss of midrange detail, I haven't noticed it...then again, I have a nice all British-made CD/amp/speaker combinatwhich has strong mid-range qualities. To my ears these are the warmest-sounding, most-analog sounding Beatles CDs yet.

I would happily never listen to the early UK albums on CD again...not until we get decent remasters of the UK titles.

21. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Don't see how they could be advertising the Vol 2 set already, when there has been no announcement at all. Also, if 5 albums were to be included that would potentially mean The Early Beatles, Beatles VI, Help!, Rubber Soul, Yesterday & Today. That would leave Revolver plus at least 3 others for the 3rd (and probably final) set. My guess would be the final set would include Hey Jude, A Hard Day's Night (released by Capitol in 1979) and the Rarities album. All speculation of course though :)

22. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I listened to the stereo Meet The Beatles this morning, and I WAS IN HEAVEN! I'm an American Beatles fan who listened to the Meet The Beatles LP hundreds of times while growing up.

The new Meet The Beatles CD is GREAT MUSIC to these ears! Is it audiophile quality? Of course not. But I listen to music because I love music, not because I want to hear a stereo system perfectly reproduce an acoustic guitar. Have I spent a lot of money on my music system? Yes. Does it matter when I listen to The Beatles? Not really.

I get a thrill listening to the Hamburg tapes, imagining myself being in the Star Club, looking up at the stage. Sonically it stinks, but it TRANSPORTS ME!

To me, that is what music is about. It has the power to transport a person, emotionally, into another "space" or place or time. I love listening to The Beatles; their music makes my day every time I hear it. I don't just collect it, I love it.

My almost 16 year old daughter still remembers the time, when she was 4 or 5, that she sat on the floor of our music room, rocking in my lap as I sang and cried along with Elton John's Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny).

I'm an audiophle who enjoys good sound and appreciates Steve's work. The passion I read here about the sonic/mastering issues always seems to me to be a bit too important to those participating.

I fell in love with music listening to The Beatles, and "Top 40" music in general, on a small transistor radio tuned to WFIL "Famous 56" AM in Philadelphia. In audiophile terms it sounded like crap but I loved it!

I can't imagine anyone who grew up listening to the US Beatles albums not being thrilled listening to these CDs. If you aren't immediately transported back to your younger days, IMO, you've lost touch with the wonders of music. Music feeds your soul, a stereo system feeds your ears.

Put on Meet The Beatles and see if you can stop your toe from tapping or your voice from singing along.

ENJOY THE MUSIC!

coffeetime likes this.
  23. Jacob Bailis

Jacob Bailis New Member

Beatles
    The Capitol Albums Vol. 2
    Available five the second time on CD the second five US released Beatles records plus a 61-page booklet.
    Our Price: $49.100
    $70.99 List (You Save $21.100)

I don't know how to post links, so I just cut an pasted what it says. I found this by putting The Capitol Albums Vol. 2 into Google, and clicking on the CD Universe link. I CAN'T WAIT!

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It doesn't sound like Jensen added any compression at all. It was already on the tapes.

I ripped "She Loves You" last night into Audition, and the levels are very respectable. The highest peak was at around -.72db. The average RMS is -13.07db. But, of course, the track was highly compressed.

Notice the meters. They stay pretty much pinned there.

Attached Files:

25. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I mistakenly told someone I saw some limiting going on but I noticed an over or two which means Ted din't use a digital limiter (that's good news by the way). The levels do hug zero though. These things are pretty hot. How can they not be? You run a song through two Fairchilds set on stun and see how loud you can get the record levels. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.