Scout/Scoutmaster owners: Change that belt!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cantona7, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cantona7

cantona7 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just wanted to post about my experience over the weekend with a new belt on my Scout. Over the last week or two, I've noticed that the belt on my Scout was getting a little stretched out--to the extent that the motor would sometimes have difficulty starting the platter spinning. So I ordered a new belt from my dealer. When I picked it up on Sunday, it turned out that VPI has stopped making the clear belt that originally came with the Scout/Scoutmaster tables. The replacement belt is a black one that appears to be made of a different material. Everything sounds a lot better with the new belt, even though I didn't think anything sounded poor before.

The new belt costs $30 and I think it's worthwhile to order one and see if it makes your table sound better--you'll need a replacement sooner or later, so I think this is money well spent.

Incidentally, I heard a Scoutmaster with the new upgraded platter by VPI and it is awesome! If I had a SM, I would definitely put the platter upgrade on my list.

2. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Be sure and check your turntable speed with a strobe and strobe disc now that you have changed the belt.

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I may upgrade the platter but $1,200 isn't chicken feed!

4. Yes, the new "black belt" is really good, and it is supposedly antistatic.

I bought mine from the local dealer for $900, sold mine old clear platter on Audiogon for $350, I ended up spending $550 for the super platter. :cool:

5. cantona7

cantona7 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Actually, I think the platter upgrade is $900. Also, one thing to note is that the standard SM motor is not quite up to the task of starting that platter, so you kinda need to give it a bit of a spin with your hand. I'll just say that based on my session yesterday, I'm less in lust with the SME 10 that I always thought I wanted. :p

My dealer has a 100% trade-in policy if I'm upgrading to something that's double the price of the original component, so I think my next big purchase will likely be trading in my Scout for a SM with the platter upgrade.

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Elusive Disc has the belts for $19.99 .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.