100 Greatest Detroit Songs Ever

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rob68, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob68

rob68 Senior Member Thread Starter

2. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Nice list. I had no idea that many of those non-Motown songs were associated with the "extended" Detroit area. Of course, 90 of the 100 Greatest Detroit Songs Ever could have been gobbled up by Motown Records!

3. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Good to see the great Jones jazz family (Thad, Hank, and Elvin) get a mention...

4. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Nice list... Having Sonic's Rendezvous on there was very cool.

5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

It's nice that Bob Seger's "East Side Story" at least got mentioned twice in the write-ups...but it should have been one of the 100.

The reviewer is right on the money when he says of it: "everything that Bruce Springsteen ever wanted to say in a single but years earlier.)

6. race records

race records Forum Resident

No Goober and the Peas or Blanche? :shake:

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I know they're not from Detroit, but, given the importance of Detroit in their early success, given that it name checks Detroit in it's title, and given that it's probably the coolest song they ever cut, KISS's Detroit, Rock City should have at least gotten an honorable mention.

8. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

If the Kiss song were to be included, one would've also considered "Detroit Breakdown" by the J. Geils Band, from Boston.

9. NIKE SQ 460

NIKE SQ 460 Just Do It...Daily!

18 "No UFO's" Model 500 (Metroplex) 1985

damn. what a great list - although no. 18 could of been 'clear' by cybotron instead. ( yes, they did note the connection).

this is probably the greatest list of songs ever.

10. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

What about Ted Nugent's "Motor City Madhouse"?

11. That's a pretty impressive list.

12. rob68

I'm not a huge White Stripes fan, but I must admit "Fell In Love With A Girl" gives me a pretty major rush. Great piece of thrash. :thumbsup:

13. rob68

One of the 'deciders' is Brian Smith, I just realized, who did the Metro Times interview with Steve awhile back. :thumbsup:

14. Manos

Manos Forum Resident

79. Scorpio

I'm glad to find Dennis Coffey on the list. (Twice, if you count his guitar work on Band of Gold.)

15. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

What a nice list. Looks like they tried to make the list as varied as they could. Because let's face it, for many, you could put 100 Motown songs on this list and it'd be considered legit.

Maybe I'd like to have seen a couple more Parliament, Funkadelic, and Seger tunes in the top 100. But that'd have killed some of the diversity. And what's with "(Love is Like a) Heatwave" not actually making the top 100? It'd probably be my #1, though "What's Going On" is certainly worthy. Details, details. Still a great list!

16. Tom R

Tom R Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.