The Who "Direct Hits" Original UK Track VS. recent Classic Reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dgsinner, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member Thread Starter

Hi,

I couldn't really find anything definitive on my search of comments...

I have an original mono UK track and yes most of it sounds pretty crappy.

Is the recent Classic Records reissue better? If so, how much?

If there are better vinyl LP sources for those tracks, what are they? (tired of trying to find original singles in good enough shape...)

Your comments are appreciated.

Dale

2. peter

peter Senior Member

Dale, this has been discussed before. The UK Track mono LP features fold downs to mono from fake stereo on every single track. The Classic LP uses the UK mono masters (used for the singles) for every song. It sounds great. It is the only Who Classic LP I have bought.

3. dgsinner

All I need to know. Thanks!
    Dale

4. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

I love Classics Who resissues, but for me something is wrong with Direct Hits,

I don't have an original but I have the original singles and the new LP sounds enemic in comparison, the recordings have lost their balls. It sounds nothing like the singles.

5. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

It does not sound great. I'm convinced the Classic uses the same crappy LP master as the Track LP.

6. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I too was disappointed with the Classic version but I've never heard the original Lp either. "I can see for miles" seemed to be covered in cymbal sizzle.

7. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

8. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

My copy of the Classic records reissue sounds crappy too.

9. Idler

Idler Active Member

I have both the Classic and the recent Japanese mini-LP cd - the latter sounds the best by a fairly large margin.

10. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

What about "I Can See For Miles?" Is that the single version everyone was raving about?

11. dgsinner

????!!!

Can you post a jpg of that?

I'm pretty confused here. Has anyone actually compared an original UK Track (other than Fremer) and the Classic reissue?

I trust Peter's ears and the truth is the original Track and even the original singles (of which I have quite a few) are no great shakes in terms of sound quality.

I would like this on vinyl...but...

Dale

12. tages

tages Senior Member

I love the Japanese CD. The REAL mono mixes (including the elusive "I Can See For Miles" single mix)! I have mono and stereo UK first pressings and they are both awful.

13. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Can you provide more information on this CD?

14. tages

tages Senior Member

It came with the "My Generation" box last year. Catalogue number UICP-93004.
    I'm not sure if it was available separately, or just as part of the box. Mini-LP laminated sleeve, and I personally think it sounds great!

Here's one eil is selling on eBay - only 23 hours left!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Direct-Hits-J...ItemQQimsxZ20081023?IMSfp=TL081023114002r5956

Unfortunately, it's listed as "out of print" on CDJapan -
    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UICP-93004

Here it is on the eil page -
    http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=402980

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Came out separately as well.

16. tages

tages Senior Member

Hope you find a copy!

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I have the Japanese Direct Hits from the box, and I'm playing it now. I have to admit, it does sound great. This actually might be the first time I've played it since acquiring the box when it first came out. I guess I wasn't expecting much. But I was very wrong.

I also own the Classic vinyl, and will play it tonight and compare and report back.

Peter, you own the Japanese cd, right? Might want to go back and have a listen and compare as well.

18. I've got the Japan mini-LP CD of DIRECT HITS as well (bought it seperately, IIRC from Amazon) and, although I don't own a vinyl copy to compare it to, I think the songs on it sound at least as good as on any other digital release that I've heard. And the version of "I Can See For Miles" is worth the price of admission alone, IMO.

19. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

The Japanese mini-LP, which does sound great, is taken from the Japanese masters for the original 45s. From what I recall the booklet doesn't give any info on who prepared it for CD.

dee likes this.
  20. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I don't think the Classic vinyl uses the same U.S. single mix that's been raved about (by some). I don't recall hearing the overdubbed bass. My copy is in storage right now so I can't confirm this but I ended up getting an original 45 and being much happier with the sound.

21. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The mini-LP is awesome :righton:

dee likes this.
  22. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

Yes, I noticed that too. "I Can See For Miles" on the Classic vinyl didn't sound at all like the 45, although it is in mono.

My 45 is highly compressed and has a great deal of distortion (not sure if that was in the mix or the mastering), but it has a punch that I have not heard on any other version.

Can anyone confirm if the Japanese CD contains the true U.S. single mix of "I Can See For Miles"?

23. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

I've heard from people who've compared that the U.S. single mix is the same as the UK or Japan single mix. There was a thread on these mini-LPs when they came out, and the general agreement was that this is the real deal. I can confirm myself that the version on the Japanese Direct Hits CD is very different from both the mono Sell Out mix and the mono BBC mix that turns up on some Polydor compilations, and matches written descriptions of the single's overdubbed bass.

24. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

I compared tracks of it to other sources (Two's Missing, The Singles & Rarities) and all of these sounded miles better.
    The Classic is the same fake stereo folddown as the Track.
    It has tons of phase issues that are not on the original recordings and no 'fi' whatsever. You have been warned...

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

If this is true it's really amazing because Classic claims that they "utilized the original monaural mixes throughout", which looks to be either a gigantic mistake or an out and out lie. In any event, there is no doubt to my ears that the Japanese disc sounds a whole lot better than the Classic vinyl. A real shame, cause I'd love to have the sound of the disc on vinyl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.