German PRT LP Kink Kontroversy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MPSS, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPSS

MPSS Hyperactive! Thread Starter

Does exist that re-Release in Mono?
    Thank you,

Miguel

2. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

There was a late-'70s German reissue from PRT/Ariola with catalogue number 200 730-241 (some sources say Pye/Ariola, but Pye and PRT are the same company). I can't find info on whether it was mono or fake stereo, but some of the other LPs in that reissue series were mono. Someone here probably has a copy ....

3. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

My copy says Stereo on the label.

4. MPSS

Thank you for your responses.

I have some LPs from that series: in mono: 1st, kinda kinks, Face to face, and Arthur; in stereo: Something else. All of them have the red and green label. I have spotted the kink kontroversy in stereo with the blue/purple label in this Re-Release series. It seems that kontroversy exists only in stereo in that series.

Miguel

5. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I've got Village Green Preservation Society on this label, too. It's in mono. I'm wondering, if the sound on the PRT CDs is so great, would the same apply to the PRT vinyl reissues? And what, if any, would be the difference between these and a regular Pye album?

6. Matthew B.

I'm curious about the mixes on that stereo Something Else. Does it has backwards-sounding guitar effects on "Afternoon Tea"? Are the drums on "Tin Soldier Man" mixed centre, or initially left?

The PRT CDs, alas, are not invariably great. Some of the compilations sound terrible, and I'm also not crazy about Face to Face or Percy. I'm sure the vinyl is variable too.

7. fiscus1

fiscus1 Senior Member

Although the label says stereo, the PRT Kontroversy is in mono.

There are are no backwards guitar effects on on "Afternoon Tea" and the drums are mixed to center on "Tin Soldier Man".

The sound on Kontrovsery LP is a bit murky, but Something Else is beautifully clean.

8. Matthew B.

Okay, thanks. So it's not the original German LP mix, and it's not the original UK mix either; it's the version with stereo remixes of "Tin Soldier Man" and (I assume) "Situation Vacant."

9. MPSS

I finally bought the record and, as as fiscus1 stated, it is mono. The matrices are: 200730 A-1 /79 M, and 200730 B-2 /79 M.
    And, yes, I too think that is a bit murky. but it has the 'punch' of mono records.

I wasn't aware of the different stereo versions of Something Else. I have the german reissue and an spanish one but not here. I will check.

Miguel

10. Matthew B.

I might as well go through the different stereo mixes of "Situation Vacant" while I'm at it.

Original stereo mix: Organ is initially mixed right. Wailing vocal overdubs near end of song. False ending leading into coda with louder wailing voices at 2:45. Total length about 3:10.

Long stereo remix: Organ sometimes from left and right simultaneously, e.g., at 0:27. No wailing overdubs. False ending at 2:45 leading into coda, but unlike the first mix, this coda is simply an unaltered reprise of the song's ending. Total length about 3:18.

Short stereo remix: Edit of the long stereo remix, with the coda removed. Total length about 2:45.

If your Spanish reissue matches the one I've heard, it'll have the long remix of "Situation Vacant" and the remix of "Tin Soldier Man."

11. MPSS

I located the 'spanish' pressing. It wasn't an spanish pressing, but a later german. I bought the record new in a shop in 1991 so I thought it was spanish.

The label is white and says digital in capital letters. The matrices it seems they combine two refs. and are:

Side 1: R/S Alsdorf 229 243981-A-4 6 26674-01-1/4
    Side 2: 229 243981-1-B written nearer the label and below this as it were in another line there is another writing
    CS-B-III DMM - A C - 6.26 674 -01 - 2
    (the part CS-B-III is handwritten)

Situation vacant short version, 2:43.

The record is (P) 1987

Miguel

12. hardknox

hardknox Forum Resident

Bumping this old thread. Does either the early 80s or the later 80s version of this release have a barcode on the back cover? Thx.

13. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

One note on the '80s German PRT Kontroversy: You have to look at the matrices to determine mono or stereo. I've got one that's fake stereo side one, mono side two. So it likely exists as either both sides stereo, both sides mono, or a mix of the two. The stereo matrices end in S, mono in M.

My copy must be an early '80s as no CD is listed - no barcode on the back cover.

(oh, and also: I agree, this is not the best sounding of the PRT reissues, either the mono or stereo side. However, the fake stereo side sounds better than the original UK Pye fake stereo I've got, which is really poor.)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.