1984 news story on the debut of the Compact Disc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rock76, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. matty j

matty j Forum Resident

'Running up that hill' Frank has fine taste and a fine mullet.

3. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Cool. Thanks for sharing.

4. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

Thanks for sharing!!! :righton:

5. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

He dyed the bottom half of that mullet blonde too. An "achy breaky big mistakey"

6. rock76

7. That was a cool video, thanks for the link.

I especially like the part where the guy (General Manager) says something about that for CD's, you don't have to (dynamically) compress the signal and/or limit the frequency range.

8. Great video. Thanks for posting.

That AKAI CD player, was the same model my brother bought, and thus, the first CD player I ever heard a CD played on.

9. rock76

10. rock76

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Analog superiority *may* have been true in 1993, but it isn't today. If I can make a CD-R in my home, on my PC with the exact, same warmth, depth, and detail as the vinyl source, it means digital has grown in leaps and bounds.

12. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Dont mean to be picky, but if they are playing Running Up That Hill doesnt that make this story late 1985 at the earliest? Cool clip though.

Steve

13. matty j

matty j Forum Resident

:laugh:

14. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Very nice!

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I wish I still had some of the Chicago news stories from CES around 1980-1981. Philips and Sony had some pretty spectacular press conferences to introduce and promote CD before it was officially in retail stores.

I think the first actual CD players didn't wind up in stores until October 1982, and that was in Japan and (I think) Europe. Somebody really oughta write a detailed book about this, and get it out by next year -- the 30th anniversary of Compact Disc.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

So; if you want to attract a woman; all you have to do is shine a CD in her face. Who knew?! :)

18. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Cool video, thanks a mil.

19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the link!

21. Nice, thks for the links.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That video talks of how quickly the CD format would be adopted relative to certain other technologies. Still, it's interesting to see how long it took many people to buy into it. The mullet guy in the video had 80 CDs in 1984, which was a very impressive collection at that time given the price of CDs and lack of availability relative to LPs and tapes. When I started college in 1988, nearly everyone I knew in the dorms had only LPs and tapes (mostly tapes). I started college with about 50 CDs, and many of the students in my dorm were shocked by the sight of my collection.

23. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

In Holland the CD was accepted more easily. I started to purchase only CDs from 1985 (my first one: 'Ocean Rain' of Echo & the Bunnymen - see my name). Many fellow students did this allready.

Maybe because Phillips, the Dutch inventor of the CD, pushed the Dutch market (and the whole European market?) very fast in the prefered direction?

24. I think I bought my first CD in '86 but for the next five years would still buy both CDs and LPs before I completely switched to CD.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I remember around mid-1986, a girl who worked at the local Waxie Maxie's I frequented saw me buy so much that she assumed I had ALL the available CDs - my collection was around 100 at the time! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.