Portable Turntable Under $500?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KatCassidy, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KatCassidy

KatCassidy Mixed bag Thread Starter

Well, nobody seems to know of a cheap portable turntable. I'll up the ante to five hundred bucks but whilst I do appreciate any recommendations, I don't think I'll be getting one for a while (if ever)

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Portable tables are not really available in the higher end. Sorry! $500 barely gets you any kind of OK table which sits at home new which is decent.

3. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

There are MANY portable turntables under $500.

Vestax HandyTrax
    Numark PT01
    Crosley Revolution (or even the new customized Third Man Records branded one)
    Ion iPT-USB
    ...and many more

none will be "audiophile"

4. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

You just recommended Crosley.
    WHY?
    It's just a worse version of the Audio-Technica Sound Burger (which sounds surprisingly good. I still wouldn't let it near any pressing with value, though).

5. Spyder

OP had no mention that audiophile or high-quality was a prerequisite. Only a "Portable Turntable Under $500". The one's I listed are just the most popular.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

He wants to play Audiophile Productions and other high end records with it. None of the portables are suited for that. That is his problem. Spyder, dig your avatar. It's tres cool!

7. Spyder

There's no high-end portable players that I am aware of. I would consider all portables as mere "toys", or good for crate-digging at record shows/flea markets/garage sales. I believe the needles on these are not good, nor will the built-in speaker systems be any good (albeit for audiophiles, that is).

8. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Yeah, it seems to me like a used Sound Burger is the only thing that won't destroy your records.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

LOL at "Sound Burger".

10. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

11. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

The AT Sound Burger at least used a halfway decent magnetic cartridge, the AT103 with a conical stylus.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Just amused by the name, that is all.

Taco Speaker, anyone?

13. Spyder

14. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

15. OldMusicOnVinyl1

OldMusicOnVinyl1 Forum Resident

Just got a Numark PT-01 for $124 and it sounds very good even through the built-in speaker! Have yet to see how it sounds through my home stereo. I'm planning on upgrading the needle, though, as the one it comes with is a cheap conical sapphire mounted to a plastic cantilever that won't last very long.

I've only owned it for a few hours, but it certainly is great value for the money.

16. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident

The Crosley Revolution uses an AT3600 magnetic cartridge, diamond stylus, and less than 2g of tracking force. This is safe for use on high-end vinyl, right?

I have an Ion iPTUSB (identical to the Numark PT01USB) but it uses a ceramic cartridge, sapphire stylus, and (from what I've read) anywhere from 4-5.5g tracking force. I'm planning to return it and get a Crosley Revolution.

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Crosley Revolution's description makes it sound like it is safe for high end vinyl.

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Wow after seeing how much fun these guy's are having with it, I'm buying one. No really I'm buying one, this might be a good way to transfer some singles. I really hate to play my 45's on my turntables.

Attached Files:

19. audiorocks

Are you saying that based on my description above? So much sarcasm floating around when it comes to Crosley, maybe you're being sarcastic?

I guess this is a sarcastic thing? The Crosley Revolution is for portability. Like when you (I) are (am) in Spain (right now) and want to play some of the vinyl you're buying.

20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

No sarcastism, I think it would be good to record singles

21. audiorocks

I think so too. Anybody else willing to buck the anti-Crosley trend in light of this thing's extreme portability and magnetic cartridge?

22. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Why?

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

24. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.