Joy Division remasters???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by markl, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markl

markl Senior Member Thread Starter

Do they exist? The best I've heard so far is Permanent from 1995. These songs sound great, but there aren't enough of them to fully satisfy, I want more. Are there recent remasters of Unknown Pleasures and Closer??? Or any others?

2. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

There was a JD box set a few years back but I never picked it up. I don't recall any push claiming better sound quality, though.

I've never seen any reference to remasters of Unknown Pleasures or Closer, though.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Just pick up the "Heart and Soul" box set - which is, for all intents and purposes, everything Joy Division ever recorded (save for a bunch of live releases). It sounds fine to me (but I have the import version which was available for quite some time before Rhino issued it here in the U.S.) - and I have the original vinyl versions, the first issue import CDs, the Warner U.S. CDs, and the Heart and Soul box set.

4. jpbarn

jpbarn Forum Resident

I remember thinking that one of the records sounded better on the box, & one worse, but I can't remember which. But if you like JD you have to get it for the extras. In addition, pick up the 2 live cds (Les Bains Douche & Preston)- ESSENTIAL!

John.

5. markl

Picked up the Heart and Soul Box set from 2001 on Rhino, this is the domestic release of the 1997 version from the UK. There is no credit anywhere I can fin as to who did the remastering.

This set sounds very very good. Any complaints are at the level of nit-picks. One might want a *tad* more bass to really here Hook's fantastic playing, it gets a little lost at times. One might ask for a *little* more sense of space and air, these recordings rely so heavily on the atmosphere and the ambience, you want to be able to close your eyes and seep into it. The producer is just a genius, these recordings will always sound contemporary because they are so otherworldly and wildly out of whatever time you find yourself in.

Music doesn't get much better than this. I haven't owned the original albums in years and years, it's a real trip to listen to them again, they are even more impressive now that I have still more perspective on them.

Thumbs up! :righton:

6. misu

misu New Member

There's a notice on the back of my CD copy of Closer that says this: "The music on this Compact Digital Disc was originally recorded on analog equipment. We have attempted to preserve, as closely as possible, the sound of the original recording. Because of its high resolution, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape."
    I don't recall seeing this on other updated WB rereleases, but I haven't been looking for it either. At any rate, the cd is a fine reminder when you can't take the record with you.

7. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

the coda at the end of 'Unknown Pleasures' is missing form the box set. also, all the artwork form the singles and albums wasn't included. and a few of the Peel Sessions tracks were dumped. and the Palantine version of 'Love Will Tear' is misisng. and there's none of the live stuff from 'Still.' other than that, the box is complete. and sounds great. too bad there wasn't a mastering credit on it, because someone should take a bow.

not that there was really anything wrong with the original UK Factory CDs. in fact, of all the Factory stuff, the only complaints I had was with the ones that were copied from the Japanese discs (New Order's 'Low Life' and the first four Durutti Column albums).

8. AtcoFan

AtcoFan Senior Member

9. htom

htom Senior Member

I have no idea if this is not found in the US release booklet, but this is found in the first paragraph on the second-to-last page of the original UK release:

"Tape assembly, editing and remastering was by Andy Robinson, with assistance from Jon Wozencraft and Liam Mullen."

Does this help?

10. markl

Bumping to let others know which to buy (Heart & Soul box set), if you've read about them in the latest UK music mags. There will be a movie soon directed by Anton Corbijn, a great still photographer who created the seminal images of the band in black & white during their time in the late 70s.

11. svenskagroda

svenskagroda New Member

I still like the sound of the original UK Factory Vinyl best and prefer needle drops of those to the original import CDs. I loathed the sound of the Qwest releases and I'm not that keen on the WB releases either. I have the box set but I don't think I've listened to it.

On a sad but hopeful note I saw all the Joy Division CDs wearing "Supersaver" stickers the other day @ Tower... bummed me out. I hope it means their heading for a brush up and re-release. What I wouldn't give to have someone like Steve remaster them (U/P, Closer and at least Still) and have artwork/covers made from the same materials as the original covers.

12. markl

svenskagroda, you really need to listen to the box set. It ain't "perfect", but damn, it's close...

13. Pope V

Pope V Lurker

You want more bass for Unknown Pleasures? - here it is, warm as a blanket and thumpy as a Disney rabbit.

Love it!

14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Steve mastered "Love will tear us apart" on Totally Wired. Guitar sounds clear. So do the high-hats.....took some getting use to.

15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I dug out my originals ('Unknown Pleasures' Facd 10 A Factory Disc Made in France by MPO) and ('Closer' Facd 25 A Factory Disc Made in G.B. by Nimbus), which BTW were the first CDs I ever bought along with 'Unforgettable Fire' in '84, to compare with the Heart & Soul box. There isn't a great deal of difference between originals and box. The box is louder, clearer, a little better defined, harder sounding. I have to keep adjusting for volume differences so I could be off.

I recall wondering why 'Unknown Pleasures' sounded better than 'Closer' back in '84 even with my portable CDP and Koss Porta Pro headphones :) . I think I prefer the remastered 'Closer' but it's a closer call with 'Unknown Pleasures'.
    They are scratched, scuffed and it's audible so I think I'll rip/burn them and spend some time with everything including 'Permanent', 'Still' ,etc. But I won't search for my cassette tapes! :D

:agree:
    Inspired to spontaneously change avatar :love:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.