Major Find: Who's Next Track Records Deluxe LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gardo, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist Thread Starter

A really interesting find today in the used LP bins, as per the thread title.

I've searched the archives, and this is the only thread I've been able to find so far:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=15203

Here's the info, including matrix numbers, Ben Canas reported for his "type 2" copy of this LP:
    Now the plot thickens. Both Ben and Leppo have matrix numbers of the form reported above. Mine are different, unless I'm missing something. The pressing I got today has these matrix numbers:

Side 1: machine pressed: 2408102 A 1
    Side 2: machine pressed: 2408102 B 1

That's it. Interestingly, the label prominently reports MADE IN USA, though it is a black Track label and the cover is made in England.

I cleaned the record and played the first four tracks. Aside from a very strange dip in level for a couple of bars in "Baba O' Riley," this may be the best "Who's Next" I've ever heard (and I've heard a bunch, though probably not as many as Ben :)). The soundstaging at times is holographic, with tremendous depth. The drums have more definition and dimensionality than I've heard before. The vocals are sweet and lifelike. Everything just sounds right. There's light surface noise throughout and a couple of pops, but it's easy to listen through them, and so far there's no groove damage. Just amazing sound.

I can tell this pressing is something special, but I'd love to know more about what exactly makes it special. Ideas? Information?

2. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

I've since acquired a Decca pressing that I'll compare with my Track and report back.

I'm not sure what you have there? Regardless, congrats.

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have an A//4 & B//3. Both sides have BILBO hand-written. Sounds freakin' great. Deep-sixed my 1st pressing US copy after getting this. Just the huge difference in end-groove distortion on Song Is Over (US has tons, the UK not much, same exact situation as with Imagine A Man on By Numbers, BTW) is enough to recommend the UK, but it's better in every other way (separation, vinyl quality, surfaces, etc---even the cover is way better quality). I just don't understand the love shown around here for ANY US pressings of this LP (current heavy vinyl versions not counted).

4. peter

peter Senior Member

I think you have some kind of export pressing. I have a Led Zepp III and a few other LP's sort of like this in reverse, i.e., US looking labels with US cat. nos. in US made sleeves, but the LP is clearly Made in Germany. You have an interesting reversal of what I have.

Wish I could tell you more.

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I posted about this back in 2002.

MCA/DECCA pressed the very first batch of Track LPs for export to the UK.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=91648&postcount=9

Goldmine Price Guide 5th ed. page 729...Track 2408-102. Black Track label reads "Made in USA" on the bottom. Manufactured for export and issued in a regular UK cover.

According to Goldmine its a $150 record in NM condition. :thumbsup:

6. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist Thread Starter

Whoa!

Thanks for that information, Ben. My copy is not NM, unfortunately. The cover is worn, and the LP surface is VG or VG+: light surface noise, a click or pop every minute or two, etc. But so far the grooves are not damaged, and when the music kicks in the surface noise is usually completely masked. And the sound--oh, the sound. :righton: :righton: :righton:

I've always thought my US Decca original had great sound, but this one beats it. Everything's smoother and more enveloping. Almost classical-sounding at times. Magnificent.

I'm curious about the differences between the US and UK pressings, especially if both were pressed in the UK. Did they do a different cutting? Different EQ settings? Seems like they should be identical.

I'd say this is my best find ever. I paid $4.00 for it yesterday. :angel:

I also got a great-sounding German pressing of Seals and Crofts' Summer Breeze, but that's another thread. :)

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Gardo,
    You have one rare copy there for sure.
    I don't know exactly why DECCA pressed that export batch of Track LPs or how many they pressed.
    What we do know is that Who's Next was released in the US first, August 14, 1971 and August 25, 1971 in the UK.
    The original master tape was in LA and was only used to cut the first batch of DECCA (west coast pressing) and possibly the Track records for export like the one you have. According to Steve, the master tape remained in LA and was never used again until he used it for his CD mastering. After 1984, the tape again was not used until the Deluxe edition 2CD set and the Classic Records LPs.
    Obviously, UK Track Records received a very good copy of the master and did a better job than subsequent US DECCA and MCA pressings.

dee likes this.
  8. peter

peter Senior Member

Thanks, Ben.

9. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

I don't recall, how does one identify a Decca west coast first pressing?

10. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

11. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Yes, the W1 Decca is THE one - not too hard to find if you keep looking and not usually priced beyond the ordinary Decca pressings.

I compared this against Decca non-W1, Track UK, Japanese, German, MCA Audiophile, MCA Heavy Vinyl, both Classics, all CDs (including Steve's), etc. Don't have a Decca export LP though.

12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I clearly must not have had one of those, since I got my day-of-release copy in NYC & it was a coaster.

13. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

14. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

That's IT!! :thumbsup:

15. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

I agree 100% with Ben that the ORIGINAL Track sounds the best.

Here's my post on another thread:

"I know there were some members here who claimed that they had used the UK original in a A/B test against other pressings of this album in dismissing the UK Track pressing but it is common knowledge among the collectors in the UK that only ONE pressing (the very first run made PRIOR to its release, to meet the pre-release demand) of this on UK Track is of audiophile quality. It would be the one with A/1 and B/1 or B/2 stampers with "MG 12888" etched in the dead wax on ONLY ONE SIDE of the record. I can't remember now, but I think "Bilbo" may be okay also so long as it is only on ONE SIDE of the record. If you do not have this particular version, you cannot claim that you have compared the "original" UK pressing, as all later UK Track pressings were sonically inferior.

I have this original UK Track, and it sounds incredible, with all the power without the distortion, etc.
    "

I will also add that some of this ORIGINAL UK Track came in what's called in the UK as the "head hunter" inner sleeve, which is basically black/white inner sleeve. This is highly prized among collectors.

Also, the outer jacket of the original UK Track has a "pinch" (about an inch long) at the top and bottom of the SPINE. The non-pinched part of the spine is also thicker than the later Track pressings.

From what I understand there is basically no difference in terms of "sale" value or sonics between the A/1 B/1 and the A/1 B/2 stampers, again so long as "MG 12888" is etched on ONLY ONE SIDE of the record. Again, I think "Bilbo" is also okay so long as it is only on one side. For avoidance of doubt, you CANNOT have BOTH "MG 12888" and "Bilbo" -- in other words, the marking should be on ONLY ONE SIDE and one side only.

I cannot confirm this as I only have four different pressings of this record, but aside from this original Track sounding the best in general, I have noticed that there is a tape speed problem or some other problem at the beginning of "Baba O'Riley" (during the piano or keyboard intro in the left channel) such that a note or two sounds out-of-tune (the pitch is not constant or correct) or, on some pressings, the volume of that note or two may go down. This problem is certainly noticeable.

If the original US West Coast Decca pressing has this same problem, I am inclined to believe that the original UK Track (which by the way was pressed BEFORE any release, to meet the anticipated demand in the UK generated by The Who's recent concerts) was pressed from the master tape before the tape was shipped to the US. For me (as I am not a historian and I subscribe to the "deconstructionist" theory when it comes to vinyl), what sounds the most pristine and true matters (which, to me, means the least distortion, most openness, clearest vocals and instruments, biggest and deepest sound stage, tightness and focus of instruments within that sound stage, "liveness" of the sound, etc.) Another example of this is the Blind Faith LP. The earlier the stamper on the UK Polydor original, the fewer distortion of Eric Clapton's guitar the record will have on the left channel of the first track of Side One. All other pressings of any other country that I have listened to (including CD's) have many many more occasions of this distortion, which led me to conclude that the master tape is degenerating.

beatleswho likes this.
  16. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

But it appears that Ben likes the Decca west coast pressing best:
    Here's my UK Track matrix info:

Side 1: machine pressed: "2408102 A//4 420 03"
    hand carved: "BILBO"
    machine pressed: 15 11.

Side 2: machine pressed: "2408102 B//4 420 05"
    machine pressed: "13 13"

Is this a good one?
    This problem also appears on Steve's Who's Next MCA CD and of course he used the master tape.

17. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

Just goes to prove my point that the original UK Track was pressed before the master tape started degenerating.

18. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Have you compared your original Track to the Decca west coast pressing that Ben referenced above?

19. peter

peter Senior Member

Sung, I really can't thank you enough for all the fantastic detailed info on all the issues you address. My UK Who's Next has the following dead wax info. I bought it in about 1980/81:

Side 1: 2408102 A//4 420 03 BILBO 15 (The "BILBO" is written in the
    opposite direction of the rest of the matrix nos.)

Side 2: 2408102 B//4 420 05 13

I will also confirm my experience with the A//1 B//1 copies of the UK Blind Faith album I found. Essentially, these blow the doors of off my later pressings, be they Polydor or RSO.

20. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The UK Track copy I compared against is the same stamper as Peter's. Would love to have a A1/B1 .. if anyone has a copy they want to sell, please PM me..

Thanks, Sung. I probably have over a dozen different copies of this album - it was our anthem in HS. :)

21. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Well, I have to be honest. I never got around to doing a shootout between my UK Track and the west cut W1. All I know is the W1 sounds distinctly superior to any other US DECCA I've ever heard, and I've had 4 or 5.

My UK Track seems to be a first pressing. I inherited this copy from someone who was going back to the UK after moving to the US in the 70s. He had brought with him a bunch of UK pressings bought around 1971-75 and now in the digital era didn't want to take the records back to the UK.

UK Track Matrix numbers:

Side 1: machine pressed: "2408102 A//1-12 27" hand carved: "MG 12888".
    Side 2: machine pressed: "2408102 B//2 V420 12 1 4".

I guess it would be a good shootout when I get around to doing one. Specially, if I throw in the latest Classic Records into the ring.

pexie likes this.
  22. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

I compared my Decca and Track pressings by creating a needle drop of "Bargain" using the same input levels for both pressings. This revealed that the Track pressing is about 2 dB louder and has less surface noise than the Decca. Also, I level-matched the volume with a wave editor and then compared "Bargain" and thought that they sounded very close in terms of EQ and tape source. However, a spectral view in EAC showed a bit more upper mids and highs with the Track. Overall, I think I prefer the Track pressing. Now, I wonder what the A//1 B//1 Track sounds like compared to my A//4 B//4?

BTW, all apologies to Gardo for hijacking his thread.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Can't say I've ever heard the Track, but my Decca copies are *totally* different EQ-wise compared to the SH CD. That big midrange peak is gone, for better or worse.

24. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

Interesting. My copy is close to identical but there isn't a '2' at the end -- rather a very small x. Wonder what that is?

pexie likes this.
  25. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

As long as you have W1 and not W2, you have the first cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.