If you burn a CD from an original; personally do you feel you lose anything?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GKH, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The error correction in ExactAudioCopy does not make guesses. The Reed Solomon Cross Interleaved Code is a very powerful tool. Either the error is correctable, then it is 100% correctable, or it is not correctable, and EAC will report that there were errors.

2. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

If I remember correctly, Grant, it is sport on this forum to dump on mastering engineer and other audio professionals that "we" don't like. Peter Mew doesn't know what he's talking about, apparently; neither does Jon Astley; and I've heard rumblings that Vic Anesini's gonna get it any day now. So yes, I am intimating that PRO AUDIO ENGINEERS--the same people who indulge in the hilarity that is the MusicDirect catalog, the same people who fell under the green marker spell, the same people who worked with analog tape for thirty years and were hit in the face by the paradigmatic shift that is digital--may be just as prone to suggestion and self-deception as anybody else.

If this means stating flat out that I think Roger Nichols was hearing things in that infamous comparison, sure...I think Roger Nichols was hearing things in that infamous comparison.

PRO AUDIO ENGINEERS are often separate and distinct from "scientists." For example, when you burn a CDR at 52X, you are often (though not always) not actually burning at "52X;" depending on whether your drive does stuff like Zone CLV or something else, you are actually burning faster at one part of the disc than you are at another part of the disc. So how the hell does that work? Is the jitter only more noticable near the brim? If you've been using Track 1 to test, you might have been testing against something burned only at a relatively paltry 16 or 24x.

And why would burning faster create jitter? Drive are rated at such speeds, and media is theoretically compatible. Why would going faster suddenly introduce clock errors? We can burn DVDs at 16X, which is *astoundingly* fast...why is doing the same with CDs so amazing?

And pulling rank is another ****** jedi mind trick, Grant. It happens here all the time, and it doesn't make anybody more special.

3. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

For the last time:

THESE ARE NOT THE ATTRIBUTES OF JITTER. How the heck does jitter know to "smear transients" or create a "glassy" sound?

4. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

Another one of these threads? :shake: :sigh:

5. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

We're done here! :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.