German Progressive and Krautrock Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sbroache, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbroache

sbroache Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've discovered that I am developing a love for German progressive music for lack of a better word... Krautrock. So far I like CAN, Neu! and Kraftwerk what other similar artists should I explore next?

I didn't see a thread in particular on the subject so any recommendations are welcome and appreciated :)

2. Try to read Julian Cope's excellent "Krautrocksampler" book - this book rekindled my enthusiam for Krautrock when I first read it back in the 90s. The book is a great read if not strictly speaking 100% accurate.

If you like Kraftwerk and Neu you should try to hear Harmonia's "Deluxe" and "Music von Harmonia" CDs. Some of Cluster's CDs are great too particularly "Zuckerzeit" and "Sowiesoso". I also love Popol Vuh, Agitation Free, Amon Duul II (the "Yeti" CD is a must purchase), Faust and Ash Ra Tempel.

3. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

I don't like Krautrock but am a big fan of early 70 German Progressive. I can unreservedly recommend the following..

BIRTH CONTROL
    BROSELMASCHINE
    ELOY
    EMTIDI
    EPIDAURUS
    EPITAPH
    EULENSPYGEL
    GIFT
    JANE
    KIN PING MEH
    MURPHY BLEND
    MY SOLID GROUND
    NOVALIS
    ODIN
    ORANGE PEEL
    OUT OF FOCUS
    PELL MELL
    TIBET
    TRIUMVIRAT
    VIRUS
    WIND
    ZARATHUSTRA

4. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Amon Düül II. From Phallus Dei through to Vive La Trance are essential IMO, particularly Wolf City which was my no. 2 in the recent 100 albums thread in this forum.

Tangerine Dream - specifically their 70s stuff.

There are two "Krautrock - Music For Your Brain" 6-CD compilations out. I've got the first (Universal 06024 9831762) and really like it. That should give you a pointer or two.

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

More expense :eek:

Great thread :righton:

Simon :)

Tensilversaxes likes this.
  6. cparamo

cparamo Active Member

If you like Neu!, look for albums by Michael Rother (I highly recommend Sterntaler) and La Düsseldorf. I didn't see Faust mentioned yet, if you haven't heard them yet you should do so.

7. woody

woody Forum Resident

the new one by these guys has some great motorik beats but goes so many more places as well. highly recommended. :edthumbs: i see them compared with the krautrock groups of yore in the press.

http://www.cloudland-canyon.com/

8. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Here's a very strong recommendation for a band called Embryo. The place to start is with the stunningly good, "We Keep On," then there's lots more where that came from....

L.

9. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

I like Eloy ,Novalis. This both bands is great.Grobschnitt is also ok

10. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

My favourite German progband:

Schicke Führs Fröhling :edthumbs:

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I'm playing Kluster's 'Osterei' right now. It's been one of my favorites for going on nearly 30 years now.

And you really can't live a decent life without a copy Faust's 'So Far.' And Amon Duul's 'Psychedelic Underground.'

bagstiv likes this.
  12. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

13. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

I sold my 1st pressing on E-Bay last year for like $75...:righton:

14. oldcuster

oldcuster Senior Member

Great start! :righton: Tago Mago and NEU! are my favorites (and bona fide classics) of the genre.

Beyond that--I'm not a huge afficionado, but I do like Guru Guru's UFO and the first 4 Tangerine Dream albums. Amon Duul II has some pretty good stuff too.

15. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

great album, unfortunately they quickly went downhill after this....another interesting related LP is Ax Genrich - Highdelberg Supersession, which features Genrich & Neumeier (Guru Guru) Friede, Wolfbrandt and Hatler (Kraan) and Moebius and Roedelius (Cluster) from 1975, which parallels Mani und Seine Freunde :thumbsup:

16. John54

John54 Senior Member

Grobschnitt first, especially Jumbo, Rockpommel's Land and Merry-go-round.

I also like a lot of what I've heard of Novalis and La Dusseldorf.

17. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

:righton: Love me some Grobschnitt

18. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

I highly recommend Faust IV by, of course, Faust.

19. mfp

mfp Senior Member

Yep, after Can, Neu! and Kraftwerk, Faust seems the next logical step. Watch out though, the 1st album is too strange for most people's tastes.

The aforementionned Harmonia and LA Dusseldorf are the two bands led by the two members of Neu! after the split. So if you really like Neu! you'll probably like these too.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

For the guitar fans

One of my faves is Jane's debut "Together".... the guitar solo on Hangman is absolutely stunning.

[​IMG]

Another great record... and maybe the best german Krautrock guitar album...
    Frumpy 2... feat. the female Rock/Blues singer Inga Rumpf

[​IMG]

The guitar playing on "Good Winds" and "Duty" is awesome :thumbsup:

21. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I love Eloy, but they really have nothing in common musically with Neu and Can (whom I also love). Neu and Can are much more experimental. Eloy is a very good prog/space rock band.

22. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I had that problem with Faust. I love both Can and Neu, but I couldn't make it through Faust - just too cacophanous for me.

23. I'll have to check Jane's 1st out.

However, my avatar Hairy Chapter 'Can't Get Through' I would vote as thee Great German guitar album.

Tensilversaxes likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.