Best Quality DVD-R's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jeffrey, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi,

What are currently considered the best quality DVD-R's? Did the quality of Mitsui suffer after their acquisition?

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Not sure.

FWIW, I've used 6 brands so far and they're all the "same" underneath. No-brands to TDK and Maxell seem to all use the same supply.

3. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

What about +R discs? Or do I need a separate thread? :D

4. Jeffrey

Hi Michael,

My mommy taught me to share. :D

Take care,
    Jeffrey

5. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

You can send the spare DCCs to my home address, then. :D

6. Jeffrey

Hi Michael,

We can share the women,
    We can share the wine,
    We can share what we got of your's,
    'Cause we done shared all of mine!

Bring on the DCC's,
    Jeffrey :agree:

7. GregY

GregY New Member

I've read that there isn't that much definitive data about DVD+-Rs yet.

I would think that sticking with companies that make good CD-Rs, such as Taiyo Yuden, would be the best bet for now.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I use Memorex, Maxell, and TDK with no problems yet.

9. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

FWIW, I had SERIOUS problems with data burning to TDK DVD-R. Very slow burns and when it came time to copy back the data the disc failed...I tried a over a dozen TDK before I gave up and went to Maxell, which have performed flawlessly ever since. For the record, the TDK's failed with DATA burning; the TDK and Maxell's both worked fine with video/iDVD projects (I'm on a Mac G4 w/SuperDrive).

10. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

I've used a lot of Verbatim DVD-Rs with no problems.

11. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I bought some Taiyo Yuden DVD +-Rs from ebay and they have worked great. They are rated for 4X, but Nero burns them at 8X without a problem.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44929&item=5112702826&rd=1

12. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I've been doing this forever, so I apologize for the lengthly post.

Basically, my view is that re. CDRs, the different "brand pursuit" is a bit more voodoo than science. True, some brands are of generally higher quality; however, the sheer length of time CDRs have been under production renders some of these differences moot, and variances in dye structure, environment, et cetera can be the difference between a lasting disc and one that dies.

DVDRs have not yet reached this stage. Hoh boy, there is indeed a difference. We're still very much in the "art more than science" phase, compounded by variations in burners, between dash and plus, and so on. Whereas you could cheerily buy a CDRW and never worry about firmware upgrades, firmware upgrades for DVD-R drives are a *must*, as varying (and sometimes alarmingly specific) write strategies are used for different types of established/new media.

That said, once you're in the "above crap" strata of DVDR blanks, some similar rules apply as with CDRs, i.e. if it writes correctly and verifies correctly, you're probably OK.

I've had good luck with the following:

a) Ritek G04s. Totally appealing and cheap, to boot. They look very mercenary, though, and recent repotrs have been surfacing that imply Ritek's quality has been decreasing as of late. Your mileage may vary.

b) Taiyo Yudens. I suppose you can never really go wrong with them. Mine are Maxell branded dash discs, which go on sale at Office Depot every once in a while. They're probably above a dollar a disc otherwise.

c) RicohJPN. This is + media and is sold under a variety of brands, i.e. Maxell + and others. Despite moonlighting under a wide variety of identities, I've never had ANY problems with these, esp. the ones marketed under the Verbatim name (be careful, though, as apparently Verbatim uses wildly different quality brands for their discs).

d) CMC + discs. I know, these should've been crap, but I had ten that worked perfectly. CMC has a better reputation for + than dash. I wouldn't experiment too muchw ith these, though, unless you don't usually burn to the brim.

e) Sony. Impossible to find cheap, I'm sure. I had the no-write-speed-mentioned-dash ones given to me as a gift at one point. Worked perfectly.

In summary, once you toss away the obvious crap--store brands, faked discs, KHypermedia--you hit a fairly standard level of "well, it worked, it's probably OK." And far more goes into the vagueries of DVD+/-R than the quality of media! For example, as stupid and petty as it's always sounded, I actually know at least two people who solved their won't-play-on-standalone woes by changing their + discs' booktype. Who knew?

13. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

David,

I am fairly new to the DVDR world. I appreciate the information in your post.

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I have used five different brands, all of them the least expensive discs I could buy at the time: Liquid Video, KHypermedia, Fuji, Teon, and some no-name brand from Frye's. I had to throw away one of the Liquid Video discs before even attempting to burn it because it was severely scratched as soon as I removed it from the spindle. All of the others have burned the same in my drive (a "Mad Dog" drive which apparently is made by NEC) apart from the different burn speeds. The only playback difference I've noted is that one of the brands could not be read by my Pioneer dvd player (though in all fairness to the Pioneer it is only rated to play -R, not +R, discs and the disc in question was a +R; the Pioneer has, however, played other brands of +R discs). All of them have played in my el cheapo AMW dvd player.

15. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I use TDK 2x and 4x DVD-R on a Mac with Superdrive. I have no problems in making either a DVD video or DVD-ROM. Do you have a 2X drive? make sure you installed the superdrive update from Apple.

16. Boje

Boje New Member

Would Maxell DVD-R be a good selection? I have never heard of Taiyo Yuden. Pardon my ignorance.

17. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Doesn't Taiyo Yuden manufacture Maxell DVD-R discs?

18. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I have the update; remember my problem was with DATA copying, not DVD-V authoring. I'm planning on getting a faster external burner in the next few weeks anyway.

19. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I like the cheapo's called Prodiscs. I just order 100 8x DVD-Rs today for 52 cents a piec. They burn great on my mac with Sony Superdrive and on my PC with a mad Dog DVD-R/DVD+ and Sony 8x (with DL capabilty.)

I buy at Supermediastore.com.

I bought my Sony Dual Layer burner at NewEgg.com for 93.00.

You can but DL DVD+R from Sony.com for $9.99.

-Tom

20. GregY

GregY New Member

The Maxell's I have are TY. Don't know if they do all Maxell discs. TY Fuji CDRs are almost impossible to find these days.

21. cliff barua

cliff barua New Member

I don't have my Fuji spindle with me right now but the rule of thumb I use for them is if it says "Made In Japan" then I assume that these are TY Fuji CDR's. I could be wrong. If that's the case then here in Toronto, Best Buy has a ton of 50 CDR spindles for $35 CDN and Staples has the same for $38 CDN.

I have used Maxell DVD+R's and they are a funny bunch (but they have worked flawlessly). I have seen 50 disc spindles that say "Made in Japan" and 25 disc spindles of the same product that say "Made in Taiwan". Rather than worry about it, I'm beginning to adopt David's philosophy above that many of the same brands are equally reliable regardless of where they're made. I also use Memorex without failure, even though many people seem to slate them.

Cliff :)

22. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I have been having trouble with my new standalone Toshiba unit. I finally figured out how to finalize discs and they seem to play in my PC and two DVD players that I tested them in. The only problem is that they don't play in the actual unit that burned them! I am awaiting a follow up response from Toshiba, but their initial suggestion (this was before I started finalizing everything, although in DVD-Video mode, it said the disc was finalized) was to follow page 9 in the manual, which states that what discs have been tested with the machine with no problems. They consist of one - Taiyo Yuden. There was also mention of a specific Panasonic disc further down on the page. I have been using TDKs, but like I stated, they play fine in anything but the machine that burned them.

If it is suggested that I use Taiyos, is there any brand other than Maxell that are Taiyos in disguise? I would have to mail order Taiyos, so I am trying to find an alternative at a brick and mortar location.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Why? are they discontinued?

24. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Are the Fuji TYs made in Japan? I found some Made in Japan and Taiwan today and wasn't sure.

25. I sent this to friend

Here is a quick list to sort out who makes what, and what’s good:

With CD-Rs,

· it is longevity

· good burn for compatibility (audio and older CD players)

· reflectivity (the see throughness has nothing to do with the it, it is reflectivity at the laser’s wavelength)

· anti-scratch

Generally speaking, anything Taiyo Yuden or Ritek make now is excellent (Maxell or JVC)

With DVDs,

it is how correctly does the DVD burn in the track
    compatibility
    longevity
    Dropouts – these are easily evident on TVs between OK discs and great discs
    Make sure you put them in jewel cases or snap cases – scratches affect DVD-Rs a lot more than CDs

Anything from Japan for DVDs is pretty good. Best results I have had are the Panasonic and Maxell discs. Zero problems, no dropouts.

CD-Rs excellent:

Brand
    Mfg Plant

Maxell CD-R Audio Color, CD-R Pro, CD-R Pro Audio - best CD-R around
    Taiyo Yuden Japan

Maxell CD-R, CD-R Color - great and CHEAP
    Ritek Taiwan

All the newer (2001+) Maxells are great…

Fuji CD-R
    Taiyo Yuden Japan

TDK Armor Plated CD-R
    TDK Japan

JVC Victor CD-R, CD-R Color
    Ritek Taiwan

Philips CD-R
    Ritek Taiwan

Verbatim/Mitsubishi (rare)
    Mitsubishi Singapore

Sony CD-R (rare)
    Taiyo Yuden Japan

Generally anything made in Japan (Taiyo Yuden or Mitsui) or Ritek Taiwan are great

CD-R OK:

Imation CD-R, CD-R color,
    CMC Taiwan

Memorex CD-R (all)
    CMC Taiwan

HP CD-R
    CMC Taiwan

TDK CD-R Made In Taiwan by various companies (usu Ritek or CMC)
    Ritek or CMC Taiwan

Fuji CD-R
    Optodics or CMCTaiwan

CD-R Lousy/avoid

Sony CD-R (all)
    Lead Data Taiwan

Verbatim Made in Taiwan by various companies
    various Taiwan

Discs made by Optodisc or Princo in Taiwan or Moser Baer in India.

DVD-R excellent

Panasonic DVD-R**excellent**
    Matsushita Japan

Maxell DVD-R **excellent**
    Maxell or TY Japan

Maxell DVD+R
    Maxell or Ricoh Japan

JVC Victor DVD-R **excellent**
    Maxell or Victor Japan

Sony Color DVD-R Made in Austria by Sony DADC
    Sony Austria

Sony DVD-R or DVD+R Made in Japan by Taiyo Yuden or Ricoh
    TY or Ricoh Japan

TDK Made in Japan by TDK or Taiyo Yuden or Maxell (!) or Mitsubishi (MCC)
    various Japan

Verbatim DataLifePlus DVD-R DVD+R
    TY or MCC Japan

Fuji DVD-R, DVD+R
    TY or RIcoh Japan

Anything Made in Japan will be good.

DVD-R OK:

Sony DVD-R or DVD+R
    Lead Data Taiwan

Verbatim/Mitsubishi DataLife DVD-R, DVD+R
    CMC Taiwan

Memorex DVD-+R
    CMC Taiwan

Imation DVD-R, DVD+R
    Rtek or CMC Taiwan

Maxell (rare)
    Ritek Taiwan

JVC Victor DVD+R
    Prodisc Taiwan

DVD-R Avoid

Fuji Made in Taiwan by various companies
    various Taiwan

Media made by Prodisc (Taiwan), Optowrite (Taiwan), Princo (Taiwan), Moser Baer (India)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.