Ramones 1st lp, Spotting an original

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Geoman076, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!! Thread Starter

The key to spotting an original Ramones 1st lp are the words "Marketed by ABC records" on the cover and the label.

Also, look for the "Sterling" stamped in the dead wax, and the original inner sleeve with lyrics.

I finally came across one today, a couple of weeks after buying one on the net that was advertised as an original, but was not.

The sound on the original is AWESOME, and is well worth putting on your list of records to keep an eye out for.

Accept no substitutes!:righton:

Attached Files:

ruben lopez likes this.
  2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Beat Is On the Brat?

3. Geoman076

Wow, I didn't even notice that! That's really weird.

Everyone, check your copies and report back!:righton:

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Must have had Latka Gravas doing the proofreading for the label.

The Elephant Man likes this.
  5. Geoman076

The typo makes this album worth what, about $1000??:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. Mike Ga

Mike Ga Formerly meredrums and MikeG

Bastard! You just made me get up and pull a box of record's off the shelf!
    Mines a second pressing I guess, but still sounds pretty freakin' good.
    No Barcode and it has a press clipping about The Ramones inside, so there!:D
    Now that I've looked closely, side one has a stylized "S" type of mark, (Sterling?) and side two has a "triangle antenna" type of mark. Who was that?

7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

is the mastering any different? i auditioned an ABC label copy a few months ago and it sounded (from memory, of course) like my Warner Bros. copy. no difference i can recall--both variations were mastered hot.

8. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

Yep, "Beat is on the Brat".

9. The Keymaster

The Keymaster Forum Resident

Sweet lord, I've been searching for an old pressing for years, to no avail. All I can ever find is the re-pressings on high quality vinyl.

10. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

Nice find and an interesting tidbit of info. Checked my Ramones stash and discovered 'Road to Ruin' and 'Rocket to Russia' originals, but not their first LP.

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This is so weird - I was going to start a thread asking the same question! Who marketed the LP after ABC?

12. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

My 1st pressing of Leave Home is marketed by ABC. Rocket to Russia is by Warner, so, my guess would be Warner for later pressings of the debut.

13. Geoman076

I believe that guess to be correct. Warner Bros.

14. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Is it a big S with an R and C in each curve of the S? That's Specialty, not Sterling. Sterling is just a stamp in all caps.

Tim Neely told me in this thread that it "means that the album was pressed at Capitol's pressing plant in Winchester, Virginia."

15. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

There's an ABC pressing of "Leave Home" as well, with "Carbona Not Glue." I have one, though it oddly came in a WB/Sheena cover.

16. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

My copy is just like yours with "Beat Is On the Brat". I agree the sound is great.

Mark

17. jaydee

jaydee Member

It's easy to find on original of Leave Home - just look for "Carbona Not Glue" in the track listing.

18. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Great Song
    It's TV's fault why I am this way
    etc.

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

well hell, just checked my original and sure enough, it has "beat is on the brat" as well. i bought this the day it came out(that's like what, over 30 years ago) and i never noticed the misprint. amazing.

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Looks like I've got an original too..."Beat Is On the Brat," STERLING and "Marketed by ABC Records" are all present. The cover and lyric sheet are in really good shape too.

I've got a "Carbona Not Glue" Leave Home as well...but I've always been aware of that!

21. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Easy to spot, yes.

Easy to find, well, I have to disagree there. It's a bit easier now that "Carbona" has been available on CD for a few years, but this is still a tough one to find. I bought my copy as a cutout back in the late 70's, right around the time that ABC stopped distributing Sire releases. I looked for years for a second copy and didn't find one until the mid-90's.

Still love both of those records, along with "Rocket To Russia." They are my 13 year old son's three favorite albums as well.

Chris

22. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

sheesh! THe copy I had at one time was an ABC and was a promo!

23. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Yes indeed, my copy, too :agree:

Chris

24. Jeff Wong

Jeff Wong Gort

I agree with Burningfool/Chris... I haven't seen all that many 1st pressings of Leave Home over the years -- not that I've been looking hard, having had mine since '80 or '81. Most copies (if not all) I've seen have a clipped lower right corner. I hate cutouts, but, was willing to live with this since it seemed the only copies available were all like this.

25. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

So were all the first pressings maketed by ABC records? They must have changed at some point.

How can we tell if the later albums are first pressings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.