The Smithereens "Live In Concert" CD, 05-27-08

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

I was at two of the four shows at The Court Tavern in New Brunswick, NJ that were recorded for the new album, and based on what I heard there, this should be excellent.

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=843613

The Smithereens to Release New, High Energy, Live Album, "Live in Concert - Greatest Hits and More," on May 27th, 2008 on KOCH Records

KOCH Records is pleased to announce the newest album by rock band The Smithereens.

"Live In Concert - Greatest Hits and More" features music from The Smithereens' four-night stint at The Court in New Brunswick, New Jersey, a musical home away from home for the group, which took place January 30th - February 2nd, 2008.

The band, all hailing from surrounding Central Jersey towns, played the Court Tavern often at the start of their career.

The album features live recordings of two brand new songs, "Any Other Way" and "Since You Went Away."

The set also includes Buddy Holly's classic (and a big influence for The Smithereens) "Well Alright," and the ripping interpretation of the "Batman" theme, a live staple for the band.

For the past 25 years, The Smithereens have toured non-stop, recording and releasing Gold and Platinum albums that spawned Top 40 radio hits such as "A Girl Like You," "Too Much Passion," "Blood And Roses," "Only a Memory" and "Behind The Wall Of Sleep."

But at the beginning of that long and successful road, the loved group spent many sweaty, rock filled evenings in the damp, close quartered basement of The Court.

Live at The Court takes us back to that hallowed ground and brings back the energy and edginess that was present at the beginning of The Smithereens' career.

The club was packed for every performance, and the love and energy for the Smithereens is evident on each track.

This album features The Smithereens in their natural habitat, playing great music for their hometown fans. It shines a light on the love of their fans, and what the group is about.

For more information go to www.officialsmithereens.com

Track Listing:

1. Behind The Wall Of Sleep
    2. Drown In My Own Tears
    3. Miles From Nowhere
    4. Room Without A View
    5. Only A Memory
    6. House We Used To Live In
    7. Spellbound
    8. Since You Went Away
    9. She's Got A Way
    10. Yesterday Girl
    11. Well Alright
    12. Especially For You
    13. Any Other Way
    14. Top Of The Pops
    15. Time and Time Again
    16. Blood And Roses
    17. A Girl Like You
    18. Batman

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Count me in, too bad it is not a DVD.

3. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I'm definately grabbing this one!

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Me too...:cheers:

5. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I think there might be a DVD coming of this too. I believe I read somewhere they were filming these shows. Reechie would probably know better than I. I do have one 'Reens live CD. It is one of those "Extended Versions" CD's that came out on Sony/BMG a few years back. It was recorded during the A DATE WITH THE SMITHEREENS tour, and they are in prime form. It has most of the major hits and a few tracks from DATE...one of my favorite albums from them. I think you could find it for about 6 bucks new. Worth it if you are really into the band. I have to think about getting this one. I'll check out some clips first. I like that they threw a couple deep album cuts in there, and even a track from Pat's new album, which is a very good record. Pat can still craft a fine pop tune.

6. reechie

There were cameras rolling the nights I was at the Court Tavern, but I don't know what the footage looks like, or what the band's plans for it are.

I do know that I've been waiting twenty years for a "proper" live album from these guys, the old Smithereens Live EP and Extended Versions notwithstanding. This one should prove much more "definitive". A DVD'd be nice, but I'm thrilled just to have the CD coming.

7. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

I am ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

I'm going to see them Friday night. This will be the first time for me seeing them live. What can I expect?

9. reechie

Take a look at the track listing on the live album, for starters.

Meat and potatoes rock and roll. LOUD, bring ear plugs. No pyro or vari-lights. :D

I saw them in Sellersville two years ago, it's a great little venue, they like it a lot, so it should be a good show. Wish I could make it myself.

10. serge

serge Forum Resident

the smithereeens are very impressive live.

i think the description of them as "meat and potatoes rock and roll. loud, bring ear plugs." is spot on...

11. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Spellbound is an odd choice.
    So Reechie, since you have the "in", how many tunes were recorded that aren't making this CD and what are they? :)

12. thorbs

thorbs Active Member

Thanks Reechie! Will put this on the buy list. I always like more Smithereens - live and with two new songs, gotta add it to the collection. :edthumbs:

13. purepopradio

purepopradio Now that's catchy!

This should be great! Count me in, too!

14. reechie

"Spellbound" is one of those sadly overlooked songs, originally from Green Thoughts that is always a real treat to hear live, at least to me. I'm thrilled that they're including it, it's a real band and fan favorite.

Well, let's see...on the two nights I was there, they did do a couple of numbers from Meet The Smithereens, including "Don't Bother Me" and "Hold Me Tight". They ran through The Who's "Behind Blue Eyes", which they've occasionally played over the last couple of years. I seem to recall them even throwing in something from the Christmas album (since it was only a couple of weeks after the holidays), but I may just be mixing that up with a show I saw a couple of weeks earlier, too.

I'll be interested in trying to figure out which songs come from the nights I was there (Friday and Saturday). I don't know if the recording dates are included in the liners, and I haven't heard the actual CD yet. In fact, the closest I've come to hearing it was a quick listen through the headphones from the recording console while they were playing.

15. Henry the Horse

Thanks. Are you serious about the earplugs? I saw a show there before (different band), and due to the extreme volume, I'd wished that I had brought them! Ouch!:agree:

16. reechie

I still razz Jim Babjak about causing my tinnitus! :laugh:

They are LOUD. Spend a couple of bucks at the drugstore on your way to the show, get a pack of those foam plugs, you'll be glad you did. :agree:

17. Henry the Horse

Thanks, I'm really glad I asked. Gotta save those ears to listen to more music!:righton:

18. mr.schneider

I meant exactly that, I forgot to voice it. I love the stuff less likely to show up. When I saw them in 1990, I loved the live take on Blue Period with Mike's tasty bass taking the studio harpsichord line. The audience went crazy!

I taped that show from the audience. I'll have to dig it out, it's a fun listen and nice quality, to boot!

19. reechie

Since you asked earlier, I seem to recall "Blue Period" showing up during the Court Tavern sets as well. So did stuff like "Cigarette" and "In A Lonely Place", none of which made the final cut on the new album.

20. mr.schneider

As much as one might not expect the slower & more moody material to work... somehow... IT DOES! Shame they didn't include Blue Period on the CD. Wonder if The Thrilla does the harpsichord part since Mike split the scene? Hmm.

21. reechie

Yes, he does.

22. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I have been a fan since Especially for You. The boys can count on another sale!

23. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

I prefer these for Smithereens concerts:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx
    :)

24. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I saw them on the DATE tour and it may have been the loudest show I ever attended. This was more than a dozen years ago. LOUD! It's cool that they're still cranking it out, but the earplugs sound like a good idea. :thumbsup:

25. cartoonist

cartoonist Forum Resident

Pat DiNizio (of the Smithereens) asked me to post his message about the forthcoming "Smithereens Live In Concert!" CD to the Steve Hoffman Music Forum. He writes:

There will definitely be an expanded (including interviews with the band, fans, writers, record producers, etc.) KOCH full-length "THE SMITHEREENS LIVE IN CONCERT!" DVD Video forthcoming at some point (but not released by KOCH simultaneously with the official CD release on May 27th), including the entire 79:00-long Court Tavern Concert, as well as lots of historical documents, extremely rare video and audio materials from the band vault, and very possibly, a brand-new documentary about the band . The Final 24-track live mix is pretty amazing, a great job done by engineer/producer Kurt Reil, and the mastering by Joe Lambert at Trutone, NYC, is very full-bodied, and in-your-face ...There are non-CD release two bonus tracks (there wasn't enough CD time available or left on the disc to include them on one CD!), "GREEN THOUGHTS" & "IN A LONELY PLACE", which sound pretty awesome, and will most likely be given away at retail on some level-
    There will also probably be 5 or 6 final edit DVD Live Concert Song Performances which will most likely be included as part of a online retail package to encourage folks to enjoy the entire live Smithereens concert experience, rather than just an individual track here or there...We're still figuring it out as we go along, but we do know that for maximum enjoyment and excitement, if possible, the CD should be listened to in its entirety, from beginning to end, as it was sequenced and arranged to closely and accurately replicate a real-life Smithereens Concert...

- PAT DINIZIO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.