Pet Sounds Mono CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary Freed, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been watching the Greenline Pet Sounds sales very closely and I am looking for the best digital version Mono or Stereo.

I'm a little confused since a member indicated that the Greenline Pet Sounds pales in comparison to the DCC. (Both Mono)

I would appreciate thoughts from those who are familiar with both and seem to like to Greenline much more.

Thanks,

Gary

2. I have both and there are differences for sure. The DCC has more detail, more depth. It's better for sure but the Greenline CD is no slouch. Also I believe this CD is going to be released again via the Audio Fidelity label (or is that just in rumor phase?).

-s1m0n-

3. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

No, it's definitely happening! SH has announced it. Get yer orders in!

4. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is the AF release going to be stereo or mono or both?

5. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Mono only.

I have both versions and the Greenline is my favorite version (no offence to Steve). That Greenline release is to Pet Sounds what the Pastmasters are to the other Capitol albums. It also contains the bonus tracks found on later releases. It was the first time that a mono recording sounded 3D to me.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

this may be the most remastered BB C as of yet! I'm looking forward to SH's new remaster! Hopefully it will end them all...

7. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I have yet to hear the DCC. I just bought a Greenline and at first I was like "Yeah, this is OK", but when I heard those background vocals really kick in at the end of "You Still Believe In Me", I heard that "breath of life" that people refer to. It was like "Oh yeah. That's what they're talking about."

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

What is this "greenline" Pet Sounds CD?

9. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

10. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I know this is a little off-topic, but I enjoy listening to the stereo version on the 2001 CD release. It really clears things up, especially on double-tracked vocal parts. Don't get me wrong; I still love the mono Greenline. They're both great, IMO. (I'm not a purist - I just love stuff that sounds good to me)

I've always been perplexed by this recording. I've half-convinced myself that it is no sonic marvel (although I think that it's one of the greatest albums ever made). It's just that it's so awash with reverb that it hides a lot of the incredible detail. Plus the double-tracked vocal parts can sound a bit phasey on the mono version. I still can't get enough of this album though. It's so addicting.

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

12. Link to thread please - or provide some details such as will it be CD only or on LP as well? Thanks!

13. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I don't have a link, but If I remember correctly, it will be both LP and CD. I can't wait.

BTW, I just went back and listened to the 2001 reissue (the stereo mix in particular), and now I'm all over the Greenline. I wasn't giving anywhere near enough credit.

14. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

My bad. It looks like 24 karat cd ONLY. Do a search with "Pet Sounds (Audio Fidelity)" and it should be the first one on the list (I'm having a problem pasting the link).

15. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Actually it came out in 1987, the first Pet Sounds CD ever. It probably sounds as good as it does simply because it was a pre-1990 Japan CD. I like it also, but it's not quite as good as the DCC.

16. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

17. For me, the DCC CD and the Simply Vinyl 180 grams LP are the only listenable versions of the mono mix. The DCC is the best of the lot, but the Simply Vinyl LP is a cheaper alternative if you still play vinyl.

18. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

How does the Greenline compare to the "Pet Sounds Sessions" box mono copy?

19. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Simon - not to take you to task but I'm curious about this statement. The reason the Pastmasters are coveted is that Steve has said that they are flat transfers of copies of the masters. IIRC Steve has also said that the DCC Pet Sounds is a flat transfer of the master tape (minus the missing master of WIBN). So, can you elaborate on your comparison of the Greenline to the DCC? Just a little more detail about the differences. I've never heard the Greenline CD so I'm really curious. The Pastmasters are nice in parts and clunky in others so I guess that's what makes me dissect your post (sorry).

20. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

That explains a lot. Even though I noticed a considerable difference between the Greenline and other reissued mono versions when I heard the opening of "Wouldn't It Be Nice", I felt the Greenline really opened up on the second song (and the rest of the CD). Even though it was the best mono version I had heard so far, I still felt that "WIBN" had less bottom end than the rest of the CD that followed. The missing master certainly explains that. However, don't get me wrong. "WIBN" still sounds much better than other mono versions I've heard.

21. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I'm not sure how my post really explains anything. We don't know the source of the Greenline CD (do we?) and I'm asking for a more specific comparison of the sound of that CD to the DCC. My post is just a very basic summary of what I've read over the years on this forum.

22. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

I understand that. It's just that I wasn't aware of the missing master situation ("WIBN").
    I can't comment on the differences between the DCC and any other versions because I haven't heard it yet. And now I'm waiting for the Audio Fidelity version to come out.
    I understand that you were talking about the DCC when you mentioned the missing master. However, I can hear a clear difference between "WIBN" and the rest of the CD, which leads me to believe that the same situation was true for the Greenline (regarding the missing master).
    I realize it's not definitive proof, but it makes sense that the Greenline wouldn't have used a better tape for "WIBN" than the DCC did (SH is so crazy about finding the original masters). Maybe I'm reaching here, but I would assume that if Steve couldn't find the original master for "WIBN", I wouldn't think that the mastering engineer for the Greenline would either. That's all I'm saying.

23. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

I played the DCC first and then the Greenline. On quite a number of tracks, I felt like the sound was in 3D. I also had a sense that every instrument had more space between them. It was truly a different listening experience (I'm not saying better). The cymbals sound was much more definite and the vocals felt smoother. I was not alone when I played both and the person I was with had no idea what I was doing and was not aware of which version was played first. Their opinion was the same for the same reasons.

How can this be? My theory (and mine alone) is that the tapes used for this one were the same as the Green Capitol label LP reissue of the late 70's early 80's. Some members (such as Sungshinla) speak highly of this pressing. Steve has also said in a post some time ago that he was quite inpressed how close to the DCC that LP sounded. There is no mention of who mastered that one so it's anybody's guess as far as I'm concerned.

I still have both CDs and I've owned the Pet Sounds Box Set, The Brother Records 2fer with Carl and The Passion (which used the L.A. cut), the DVD-A and the early 90's US CD with the extra cuts. I've heard that album quite a number of times and the version that I find most pleasing is the Greenline. Again, let me say that I am not saying that it's better than the DCC, but that I prefer it. YMMV. Is it my gear? My ears? Dunno. Maybe someone who has also heard the Greenline will chime in. :)

24. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Why is it called "Greenline"? And is it new? I never heard it mentioned until yesterday.

25. Gang Twanger

Gang Twanger New Member

It's a Japanese CD version from the late '80's. I'm not sure, but I think it's the first CD issue of Pet Sounds to come out. And apparently it's a promo release that was handed out to radio stations (according to the link from that other post).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.