Stone Roses' debut 20th anniversary box set due in June

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JuanTCB, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member Thread Starter

John Leckie's remastered the album - it appears there'll be a full box set as well as a smaller "legacy" edition, all per the NME.

2. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I would love to have a nice-sounding remaster of this one ... from Steve! :)

I hope this one sounds okay. I'd like to hear some studio outtakes and demos and such. I expect it will be not-inexpensive, so I might wait and see what the reaction is.

3. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

I'm sorta curious about what they'll put on any bonus disc(s). The Silvertone compilation "Turns To Stone" does a great job of compiling any B-sides from the album. Was the Spike Island gig taped?

4. dj2hynes

dj2hynes New Member

didn't they already do a tenth anniversary edish? i had that but i sold it, i think it had a second disc of b-sides. i'll look out for this one.

5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

This is great news. I's a massive Stone Roses fan.

6. serge

serge Forum Resident

This is just Silvertone- against the band's wishes I might add- continuing to cash in releasing the same songs.. How many reissues can there possible be????? There is nothing new left ..They have scraped the barrel as far as it goes (the extra santana like jam on the extra cd with the japanese complete stone roses).

I'm a massive Stone Roses fan myself but come on.

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I know what you mean; however, most of the Roses stuff on Silvertone has sounded pretty dire (apart from the Very Best Of). Hopefully Leckie will remedy that, and give me a better version of the first album than I'd had before.

8. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Actually, I recently got both the UK and Japan first-press CDs of the debut (they have the same mastering) and love the sound. I'm sure it could be improved, but I think it's more likely a remaster would be a disappointment. I used to think Very Best Of sounded better, but these days I think it sounds very "modern", and prefer the laid-back sound of the original.

9. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

I'm wondering what they could possible cobble together for a box set. I'm guessing they might pad it out with contemporary singles and b-sides, maybe live tracks. I could see them tacking the Blackpool Live DVD on as a bonus. Besides "Black Magic Devil Woman" and "I Am Without Shoes" (which aren't really songs anyway) I don't think there are any "lost" songs. Variant mixes or outtakes of known tracks could turn up I suppose.

10. Dinsdale

Dinsdale Dixie Fried

Brilliant. Must have.

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Yet the music videos from and 60(!?!?!?!) unreleased songs from Second Coming remain unavailable. Albiet different label.

12. Mistermono

I've never heard anything about 60 unreleased tracks from the Second Coming sessions. Would love to know more. I always thought that the songs that turned up on the album proper were all they had given that the b-sides from Love Spreads and Ten Storey Love Song were just jams and the single for Begging You consisted of the original track and remixes of same.

There's a Second coming sessions boot out there and it's the same thing - the unreleased "tracks" are monotonous jams, not actual songs.

13. Mistermono

This was on a Stone Roses forum. OP said it came from an online retailer (and was abruptly removed). Wouldn't surprise me if this what they put out though.

The Stone Roses
    Release Date: 13 May 2009
    Format: Boxed Set Vinyl Med

£79.99

The Stone Roses Anniversary Limited Edition Vinyl Box Set+CD+DVD+..
    Early ordering essential.
    This extremely limited box set will feature:

Collector's Edition
    3 x Heavy Weight 12 Vinyl
    Re-mastered Original Album
    B-Sides Album
    Re-Mix Album
    3 x CD
    Re-mastered Original Album
    Re-Mix Album
    B Sides Album
    1 x DVD
    Live at Blackpool
    1 x 2GB USB:
    Lemon shaped USB stick containing re-mastered album, B-Sides and remixes.
    Merchandise:12 60 page stitched bound book with story of album & exclusive John Squire artwork.
    Original Single Prints.
    Fold Out Poster

Special packaging full details TBC, but will be a 12 x 12 case with embossed logo and high quality stock print & individually numbered.

14. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Oh my... I must have this!

15. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

So no new musical content then. :(

Only as a poor quality audience recording. Sadly there is no video or pro audio of the show, and only a few photos. Track down the Brit Pop doco Live Forever for more info.

16. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Is John Leckie one of the good ones?

17. Mistermono

Word now is that the set will be 1. remastered album 2. b-sides 3. demos. Would be nice to see an official announcement, track list and street date on this one.

18. Mistermono

19. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

:yikes:
    109 GBP??!!!???

R U frikking kidding? That's almost $200US.
    I'd love to hear this, but come on... One could buy a lot of Beatle remasters with that cash.
    Maybe I'll just pick up Garage Flower instead.

20. Mistermono

Only 100 quid at HMV UK (a steal!).

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Whoa. For that kind of money, how many Beatles remasters could you buy? ;)

I'll stick with my Very Best Of The Stone Roses.

Amendment: you could buy on of the Beatles box sets for that money!!

22. That was a sh**e performance though, wasn't it? Even if it had been professionally captured, I doubt anyone would want it out!

23. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

A quick read in Mojo magazine today in a store, one page article on this edition. Specifically about the vinyl Leckie says "it will be a straight transfer from the tape", then goes on about how they want it to sound like the original vinyl and not mess with it... the only big benefit will be that instead of being remastered from a "copy of a copy of a copy", this edition is being remastered from the original tape (???)

Sounds promising.

24. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

25. Kossjak

Kossjak Forum Resident

One previously unavaiable song will be released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.