Porcupine Tree "Deadwing" first impressions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

My first impression of "Deadwing"?

Album of the year, Steve Wilson and company knocked this one out of the park. After hearing clips and samples I knew it would be a good album, but I didn't expect this.

Three words: Glass Arm Shattering

That's all for now, time to listen again....

2. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I just finished my first spin about an hour ago as well. This one grabbed me much more quickly than In Absentia, which took a little while to grow on me. I think they did great as well!!! I like the heavy/light ambience, and really like some of the lighter songs a lot.

After hearing the new version of shesmovedon, I'm not sure what I think about it. It's too close to the original to have bothered, if you ask me. I guess for folks who don't have Lightbulb Sun it's a nice teaser for that album though....

Two thumbs up!

3. Tyler

To use a Radiohead analogy:

"In Absentia"="The Bends"
    "Deadwing"="Ok Computer"

4. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

How bad is the compression?

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Waiting for the DVD-A......nice to know it's a good one!

6. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

See, I have a hard time comprehending how In Absentia could be topped - I love that album! I'll be happy if Deadwing even comes close.

I've also got to stop ordering online albums I'm so anxious to hear. :mad:

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

My copy arrives from CD Universe today. I can't wait to hear it. I love everything these guys have done, so I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

8. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

The Radiohead analogy (love that!) says it all...it's definitely better - I've had it on constant rotation for two months now....gagging to hear the 5.1...

9. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident

Waiting for the vinyl, patiently. Going to see them on the 24th next month.

Brian

10. Tyler

After hearing some preview clips from the album, I really didn't think I'd like "Halo" very much. I'm glad that my initial feeling was wrong, "Halo" is excellent, talk about a catchy chorus!

While "Shallow" is not the best track on the album, it's the obvious single. Kind of like "The Hand That Feeds" from Nine Inch Nails.

"Lazarus" is the weakest track on the album, maybe it just needs some more time to grow on me. So far there isn't a track I'm inclined to skip over. I listened to Deadwing all the way through four times last night. This album just begs to be played on a good set of headphones.

An album like this maybe comes along once every couple of years. Stellar album, I can't recommend it enough.

11. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Your killing me with anticipation. My copy arrived today. I can't wait to get home to listen to it.

12. Tyler

The remake of "shesmovedon" (track 10) is a great song. I've yet to hear the original, but I'm anxious to compare them.

Bring on the DVD-A!

13. Tyler

I'll be picking up the DVD-A, but I just couldn't wait to get the album. If I knew how good this CD would be, I would've had a copy shipped to me from amazon.co.uk on the British street date.

I commend you on your willpower.

14. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

The original is great. I can't wait to hear the new version. I wonder how the new album will compare to Lightbulb Sun, still my all-time favorite PT.

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just finished listening to the CD (and watched the mini video on the enhanced part of the CD), and I really like the album a lot. I can't wait to hear the DVD-A (which I have on order). Personally, though, after one listen to "Deadwing" - I still like "In Absentia" better.

16. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Lightbulb Sun is my favorite PT as well, grbl. I think you'll like Deadwing a lot! For me it seems to straddle between the more melodic, dreamy LS and the heavier In Absentia just right.

And I agree with you Tyler, Shesmovedon is a GREAT song. It's a perfect song to play to people who haven't heard PTree before, IMO. I just am not sure why they re-recorded it and yet kept it ALMOST exactly the same as the original. I'm not complaining mind you, I'll take all the PT I can get!

17. Tyler

New drum track perhaps?

18. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Is there any information regarfing the DVD-A such as resolution, extras, etc.?

19. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

In Absentia was 24/48 surround and for the most part sounded great. It was recorded at various studios....hence the spotty sound on some tracks.

21. easyge

easyge Senior Member

This is a great cd! They are streamlining musically a bit, which for me is fine. Lazarus is great. Nice song without too much sappyness. They are definitely moving away from their "Floydness" sound from the early '90s. IIRC, the new Dvd-A was done by Eliot Sheiner!!

23. dude

dude Senior Member

No kidding, that would be my question.
    I havent' found a modern prog band yet that doesn't suffer from industry standard production. They are ALL stuck in the box.

24. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

They really aren't a "modern prog" band. They don't fit into that category at all. They have far more in common with Nine Inch Nails than they do with Spocks Beard or the Flower Kings. I think their albums (particularly the newer ones) sound great.

25. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I've listened to this a few more times now, and I'm not sure my first impression (that this one is a bridge of sorts between LS and In Absentia) was so correct. This one seems to be more of a progression from In Absentia, and an improvement upon it, IMO. It's definitely got it's melodic moments though, and is not all heavy.

Regarding "shesmovedon", it is a re-recording of the whole track, not just new drumming. The guitars may be a bit more prominent here too. I need to pull out LS and do a comparison - good justification to spin that one again anyway :)

And I agree with grbl in that PTree isn't really a prog band, though they may have evolved from one, or at least have roots there. This is intelligent, well-crafted rock music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.