New Steven Wilson album - 'Grace For Drowning'*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lennonology, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003 Thread Starter

'Remainder The Black Dog' certainly came out of left field - wow! It's going to be a long wait until September 26th.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

2. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Lineup on Remainder:

SW - vocals/keyboards
    Theo Travis - sax/flute
    Steve Hackett - guitars
    Nick Beggs - bass
    Nic France - drums

3. kd4das

kd4das Forum Resident

Wow, sounds like he's really stretched out on this one. Can't wait!

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Very nice !

5. lennonology

In case you're like me and spaced it off, tickets for Boston went on sale this morning (and look to be selling well). Most of the remaining U.S. cities go on sale tomorrow.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

6. avalanche

avalanche Forum Resident

Nice! The more Steve Hackett, the better.

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I managed to get some decent seats close to the stage around noon yesterday, I'm excited for the show!

8. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Does it have more dynamics than "Insurgentes"?

9. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

So maybe Steven himself can answer this one ;)

10. Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson Member

You mean the mastering? Yes, it's been done by Paschal Byrne, with virtually no compression / limiting at all. The whole vibe of the album is early 70's - no reverb on most of the drums, and with a lot of vintage keyboard sounds, mellotron, rhodes, hammond, piano...etc...

It's also coming out on blu-ray at 96K 24bit (5.1 and high res stereo).

Hope you guys will dig it, I think it's the best thing I've ever done, sonically and musically.

SW

danielbravo likes this.
  11. lennonology

Sounds like Damon and Bigelf might of rubbed off on you a bit! I can't wait to hear the rest.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

12. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Thanks Steven. I'm sure everyone is really looking forward to this release and to know it is going to be in 24/96 format is great news!

13. Musiko

Musiko Forum Resident

Yeah!! Many thanks Steven see you in Montréal. Really like what I hear so far and the jazzy vibes! Since i'm a vinyls lover, will buy it when it's up! Mille Merci.

14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Hi Steven

Are you planning to do a super deluxe edition of the Blu-Ray or vinyl (if there is a vinyl release) ala Insurgentes? Thanks :cheers:

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

OMFG, Steven, only on blu-ray, not DVD-A? I MEAN - NO DVD-A AT ALL?!! Well... I quite expected something like this (but don't tell EMI please, we still want a DVD-A of Aqualung :winkgrin:), it's time to save for a player, finally... :realmad: :laugh: Anyway, I'm definitely in, huh...

16. Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson Member

Not a DVDA this time - Blu-Ray gives more options for interactive playback, and high definition video, and we have a fair amount of visual material to go on this one. I believe (and hope) it's gong to become the standard high res audio format. Something else I've recently remixed, and that I think most people here are going to want, is also coming out on Blu-Ray later this year, so a player could be a worthwhile investment. You can pick up players for less than $100 these days - every home should have one, at the very least for watching movies in high def. The will also be a deluxe hard back book edition of Grace For Drowning (and vinyl of course - you can't not do vinyl these days, who would have ever thought that would be the case?)

manco likes this.
  17. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Yes, I meant mastering. Great news, thanks! What do you mean by "virtually no compression / limiting"?

And by the way, the samples on your site sound great!!!

18. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Thanks for a nice clarification, Steven (although personally I would prefer a DVD-A for, say, compatibility and collection consistency's sake - since I already bought almost all late PT albums and Insurgentes on DVD-A; but your point is absolutely valid too, especially if there's a serious amount of video content involved). :wave:

19. lennonology

Steven -

Do you plan to make the stems available for any of the new songs as you did the last time around with 'Abandoner'?

I don't mean for a competition - I just find it fascinating to hear the parts in isolation, as I'm sure many do here on SHTV.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

20. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Thanks for posting Steven ! I am looking forward to the new album. I'm a vinyl fan, so I'm glad to hear the new album will be available on vinyl. Vinyl for home listening, the CD gets ripped into itunes for listening when I'm on the road for business via the ipod. Thanks for the reissues on vinyl. Signify is fabulous. I am looking forward to The Sky Moves Sideways which I think is upcoming if I read an email notice correctly. I'll preorder the new album when that option is available ! :cheers:

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm in for the Blu Ray Steven...possibly the vinyl as well. :cheers:

22. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Apparently I'm forced to buy a Blu-Ray player! What next, an HD tv?

23. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Looking for a link to get tickets for the Boston show. Thanks for any help.

24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Welcome to 2011,:laugh:

25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I bought them off TicketMaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.