The Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary edition on the way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claudio Dirani, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall Thread Starter

I didn't see this posted, so...

I've got no further details, but I just got an e-mail from the great and reliable folks at www.atu2.com with the following information:

It looks to be very promising (and hopefully, not expansive as I've got several stuff to get around November!) :)

Claudio

2. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I'm curious about the 2nd disc..I have all the B-Sides already..

Of course nothing will match the MOFI soundwise for the orginal album!

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It's a Deluxe Edition like the others by UME.

4. Claudio Dirani

But...would the rarities disc only comprise the singles' b-sides?
    The Best of 1980-1990 limited CD already featured most of these (some of them were left off, though).

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It'd be nice to have a live recording from that tour.

6. Claudio Dirani

Got some of them with sound board quality...just amazing. ;)

7. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I hope the deluxe edition includes all of the b-sides from the period. As you note, The Best of 1980-1990 limited edition did not include all of them, and it's out of print. A live show from the period would be nice, too, though. Heck, I'd take a three-cd deluxe edition, or a two-CD deluxe edition with a bonus DVD, like the deluxe edition of the Clash's London Calling.

Whatever happens, this is great news. I'd buy deluxe editions of the entire U2 catalog if they were available. Maybe we'll get a deluxe Achtung Baby next.

8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Great news, thanks for posting. Im in. I hope this isnt just a rumor.

9. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

If it get this one, it'll be about the third or fourth different version of I have of this great record, and I listen to 'em all.

10. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I'm happy with my Mofi... don't need another one!

11. Claudio Dirani

Oh, hopefully not. Usually, they hit in the nail's head, just like announcing the PopMart DVD.

12. Claudio Dirani

Yes, some of them are really missing. I believe they'll add Beautiful Ghost on it, as this track has been available as an exclusive from the Complete U2 box set on iTunes.

13. Claudio Dirani

Something that occured to me now is that they might include Where The Streets Have No Name (single version) that features Edge's backing vocals mixed louder. As I haven't got the single (they happen to be very expensive on Ebay) it'd be highly welcome.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that "Deep in the Heart," one of the b-sides to "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," did not make the Best of 1980-1990 deluxe edition.

15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

a lot of the single versions you can get off ITunes.

You can still get the Limited best of as an import:
    http://www.amazon.com/Best-1980-199...-3886537?ie=UTF8&qid=1190220305&sr=1-3#disc_2

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

This is great news. The Joshua Tree is my favorite U2 cd...

17. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Let's home they don't screw up the mastering and compress it to death.

18. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Some more info from atu2.com
    1. A digitally re-mastered standard album in a 'super' jewel case with a 24-page booklet.

2. A deluxe edition to include a 5" hardcover book with two wallets (at front and back) to hold two CDs (the remastered album + rarities) and the 24-page booklet.

3. A limited edition to contain everything in the deluxe edtion, plus one DVD of a Paris show from The Joshua Tree tour.

The tentative release date is November 23, 2007.

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Bingo. :righton: We have a winner. I guess the Blue Note 45 rpm reissues are not the only records I will be buying this year, after all.

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

The mastering of the standard CD could certainly be improved upon. Even the original vinyl doesn't sound that great. This is not really an audiophile record to begin with. I'm more interested in the booklet/liner notes, a complete b-sides/rarities disc, and the bonus DVD.

21. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Excellent news! Saw this tour at Madison Square Garden, I also had 2 backstage passes. Watched part of the show from the backstage area. Wonderful night, great performance. I will be buying this set as well.

22. Claudio Dirani

Heck, so lucky. Were you there by business or pleasure, by the way?

23. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I agree. The drums going into Where the Streets Have No Name have always disappointed me.

Could have and should have been a thundering intro, but the rest of the mix is so loud that Mullen's moment gets lost in the synths.

Jeff

24. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Pleasure! I was working at a studio and Steve Lillywhite was in the lobby ( he was working there) and as I got off the elevator, he literally turned, saw me and said "I have 2 tickets and passes to tonight's U2 concert, do you want to go?"
    :goodie:

Amazing timing, another 30 seconds and he would have asked someone else!!

I really lucked out. This particular show, BONO had injured his shoulder and was in a sling and could not play acoustic guitar. So he asked the audience if anyone knew how to play!! After a couple of people responded, he picked on a young kid and he came on stage. The Edge gave him a few minutes of instruction, showing him the chord changes and then they played a tune (can't remember the song). The kid got a standing ovation at the end of his performance! Great show!!

Man what a night!!:D

25. gener8tr

gener8tr Senior Member

20 years ago (to the day) I was in college at Point Loma in San Diego. I was a HUGE hair metal fan at the time (still am, but to a much lesser degree than my youger days) and didn't understand the fuss over this album. I mean it was being played in every single dorm room on campus. "What about Bon Jovi, Poison, RATT, Motley Crue. Come on guys, let's play some Van Halen!!!"

Looking back (although I have never been much of a U2 fan), I have come to realize what the hype was all about. This is one of those albums that will forever stand the test of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.